Masters Running

Thursday, 12..8.16 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 5er on the TM with old John Wayne, Holly.

I'm glad the 2-day layoff worked for you, Rochrunner, and that you had a good first winter run. Isn't stepping off the back of a TM one of everyone's biggest fears?

Mike (and Enke), yes you can racewalk on a treadmill, but it can mess with your form if you do too much of it. Getting a good push-off with your trailing toe is especially challenging on a TM.

Good frigid 3-miler, Enke. I hope MBE made it OK on his bike ride. So, there will be some trips to Norfolk in your future?

TwoCat, a woman in our office says that every day that passes is another day closer to Spring. Thanks for the recipe, but I'm not a big eggplant fan, so I may not get around to it real soon.

My massage therapist, after working on my hamstring yesterday afternoon, recommended another 2 weeks off before I do anything more strenuous than casual walking out on the roads. She said (as did Holly a little while ago) that swimming would be OK, but I dunno if I can find a pool that opens at J o'clock. I told her she wasn't making me happy, but then she had the nerve to remind me that I did this to myself! I hate when that happens...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Isn't stepping off the back of a TM one of everyone's biggest fears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_zwl-lnmc

I got on the TM feeling low on energy today.  However, I decided not to give in to in, and instead did 40 minutes of one-and two-minute intervals, and was glad I did - finished feeling energized.  With WU and CD I ended up with 6.3 miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker then try http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-brown-rice-salad-with-parsnips-and-whipped-ricotta. I made it the other day and I thought it was fantastic. Alas, my DW is not a big fan of parsnips. I thought they were well enough disguised and flavored to keep her from noticing them. No such luck. Which means I am going to have to be judicious as to when I make it.

In Mariposai news, she is going to be traveling back to the US soon. I think she arrives home this Sunday.

Some gym work for me today. Running resumes a week from Saturday, but whose counting? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_zwl-lnmc

Other than being traumatized, this reminded me of the time when a woman on an adjacent treadmill did almost exactly that. It got a bunch of people running over to help, but she seemed to just shake it off and get back on.

Did my first swim of the season today, so looking for some sore muscles tomorrow. It was definitely a change, as I struggled against a 20mph sub-freezing wind on the way in, and when I came back out the snow was flying sideways! It's between squalls now and the sun just came out, but there's no doubt about winter getting here!

Hoping for some warmer temps for all! Especially Erika...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

I've been plodding along in my workouts this weekend.  Ran 4 on Monday & 4 on Wednesday.  Worked out at the gym Tuesday & today.  Yesterday's run and today's workout went very good. My biorhythms must be peaking.

That's all I got.  Have a greta day!  

..you guys are getting in some TOUGH work-outs...........Nicely Done

.......jay//.......two words, Brace It......

===========

20-min X-Bike Standing

AND

40-min PoolRun

.................good work-outs to the rest of ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

We're camping at Red Rocks Canyon Park near Las Vegas.  I've been rock climbing twice, and yesterday I went for a 15.5 mile run while my DH went climbing.   Longest run for me since the marathon last month. I haven't signed up for any races, so I won't feel stressed if I can't run as much as I'd like while we're on the road.  I'm enjoying life in the van, and it's warmer here than at home, but still gets below freezing most nights, so it's not exactly balmy.

Jay, bummer about the 2 more weeks off!  Hope you keep your sanity!

Happy trails, everyone.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

She said (as did Holly a little while ago) that swimming would be OK, but I dunno if I can find a pool that opens at J o'clock.

Jay - our YMCA opens at 5am - is that early enough?  They do have drop-in rates.  45 minutes of pool running or laps really does some good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay - our YMCA opens at 5am - is that early enough?  They do have drop-in rates.  45 minutes of pool running or laps really does some good.

Ours does as well, and there's a group of 7 or 8 people that lap swim every morning. In fact, a few of them get quite irritated if you take "their lane"   I like swimming but lose my desire when the cold weather arrives.  I'm ok once I get in the pool and start swimming, it's the coming and going that gets a little chilly!

Talking about the weather. It was 19° here with 20 mph winds at 4:30 so I opted for a run on the treadmill at the Y. 5.8 miles at a little over a 10 minute mile which, sadly, is my new normal.

I haven't been around much but I've been trying to read the dailies. Had cataract surgery this morning so I'm typing with one eye! Sure hope it gets better than what I'm seeing right now, and I'm a little frustrated that I have a day off from work and can't see to do anything!

Hope everyone is behaving so you stay on Santa's good list...

We're camping at Red Rocks Canyon Park near Las Vegas.  I've been rock climbing twice, and yesterday I went for a 15.5 mile run while my DH went climbing.   

Carolyn, my DW and I enjoyed our visit there a few years ago when we were staying in that area for a couple nights. When we went into the visitor center to look for a map of the trails, my DW mentioned to the ranger that we were looking for something to do because we're not "Vegas people." He smiled at us and said "I could tell." We took that as a compliment. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Whenever I've been to Las Vegas I've always wanted to go to Red Rocks, but never had time (or transport). I'm definitely not a "Vegas person" either but it seems conferences like to schedule there. I guess because there's no shortage of huge venues to hold a conference.

Yeah, let's not be talking about cold out there, ok? We've been consistently in the -10 to -25 range for what seems like forever. Easily the last couple of weeks. That trip to Seattle was a nice break but it was getting chilly and more to come when we left, but still not too bad. The "weather," though has been beautiful. Clear bright sunny days, and we got snow at the beginning of this cold stretch so it's all white and sparkly out there. Still, I've been running on the treadmill.

Last night's run felt much better than Tuesday's and I did my Wednesday interval workout. Warm up for 2.5 miles, then 5 x .5 mile @ 8:00 pace with .25 mile @ 8.34, then finished the last 2.6 miles @ 8:34 with three .1 mile "sprints" at 7:30 pace. This was an improvement over the last few interval workouts in that I increased to 5 repeats from 4, and felt better at the end of the workout than past efforts. I still have to stop after almost every repeat though, need a drink and a wipe down. Even with the garage at 55° I get incredibly sweaty, maybe because there's no air moving past? Who knows, but I'm a mess at the end.

[[jylnne]]....is it ok to Run after your surgery??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 3 more miles today.

I'm taking a vacation day, tomorrow...so I can spend the day at court with Eric.  He violated his probation conditions...3 times.  Oh well, at least I don't have to go to work.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Mike, there have to be easier ways to get a day off. Hope it comes out ok.

I've been buying new shoes and sending most back for awhile now this fall. Finally, I think I have enough to get me through the next year or so. Two pairs of the New Balance 1400 v.4, a new kind of New Balance Cross Country shoe that I'll use on trails next summer, and a Saucony Kinvara 6 that feels pretty good. It shouldn't be so hard to find shoes I like! And my right foot is "needier" than my left, so I always have to be careful how shoes fit that foot. Anyhow, I ran on the TM tonight in the NB 1400 that I got in May and they felt good. Might need some arch/metatarsal support on the right one but that's expected. 5.2 easy miles tonight and I think I'll take these shoes to NY this weekend.