Masters Running

Fair Friday, 7.20.12 (Read 460 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

5.7 E-Z RW miles at 4:05am: 61 delightful degrees, moderate humidity, not enough of a breeze to get the flags off their poles.

Holly, we're going to Castine, ME for vacation. It's a tiny town on upper Pemobscot Bay: No traffic lights, 1 very small grocery store, a book store/gift shop, 3 restaurants, and (go figure) a jazz club. I'm so needing some down time. But first, a crisis or two to try to resolve this morning.

Good luck to this weekend's racers, and good runs to all!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Good morning Jay.  Hope you have a great trip next week.

4.32 miles for me this morning.  And now off to work (which means I turn on the other computer on my desk and sit up straighter.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--it wouldn't be vacation if you didn't have a couple of crisises to get you prepared. Wink

3.1 miles in the same lovely weather that Jay had, just 1-1/2 hours later.  Still not feeling as easy as I think it should, but a little better.  Off to Maine after work.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Another easy 5 for me today. Cooler but still muggy. The cooler temps woke the bugs up.

Dive...Wow man. That's gotta feel like a loss.

I got to see Erika's pictures when I got home last night. I liked Rhoons comment the best..."Looks Tasty".

Ok, last day of work before heading out on the worlds largest week long bike ride. I could barely sleep last night with the anticipation.

Mostly packed.

Run Strong!

Tramps

Now I'm looking into moving to Castine, ME.

Nice to see folks gearing up for some vacation time.

Low 70s this morning, which was a nice break.  Part of my 7-mile run was on a little-used dirt road on which I have to plow through spider webs that hang off the tree branches.  Today I noticed that some of the web remnants that were clinging to my shirt had managed to trap a few of the flies that were buzzing me.  So I was hauling an entire ecosystem with me.  No wonder I was so slow.

Good luck to weekend racers (courtesy of Ilene's thread):

07/21 OrangeMat - Teterboro Airport 5k, Teterboro, NJ

07/21 Noah, SteveP & Avenger Doggie- Heritage Days 5K, Buckley, MI

07/21 Noah - Heritage Days 1 mile, Buckley, MI

07/21 MilkTruck - Clam Festival 5 Miler, Yarmouth ME

07/22 MilkTruck - Old Port Half Marathon, Portland ME

07/22 evanflein - Gold Discovery Run 16.5 mile trail/road race

07/22 Ileneforward - Aquarium of the Pacific 5k, LB CA

ETA—just got a chance to skim yesterday’s thread.

Dive—that’s a sad story.  You certainly made the right choice.

Tim—good luck to you; sounds promising.

Mike—I’m plant-ignorant too, but even I know what corn looks like!  It’ll be yummy later this summer, though, so it’s all good.

Be safe. Be kind.

Have great vacations Jay and Slo. We'll need pictures of RAGBRA and some of Pemobscot Bay so make sure you bring your cameras. Kevin - is your trip to Maine a vacation also?

Dave - do you put a tie on when you start that other computer up? Big grin

Hey Tim - nice to see your post! And even though you haven't got the job situation straightened out, it sounds like your personal situation is going just fine. I'm glad you're happy and your relationship with Donna continues to grow. Oh - and your running is back where you want it!

Dive - so sad to hear about that ferry accident.

7.1 miles for me this morning, 9:27 pace. First really good running weather in over 2 weeks. Now off to cut the grass and get some other outside work done before the heat returns this weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone, and good luck to our racers!

[[[[[ divechief ]]]]]

.........jay//.......sleep in tomorrow til, say, 4:15-ish....

=========

stretching and x-bike today

..................good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

It seems like the Coast of Maine is where the cool East Coasters go to get away. Have fun guys!

{{divechief}}} 

Troy, cool outfit! Yes, knowing your mama and her great attitude towards life, she would  just smile Smile

Erika, pesky pets you have there visiting your garden. 

Twocat, just run slower during your normal run, then during the zombie's attach run as if your hair is on fire Cool. That way you will not be caught!

Timbo, congrats. We are all very happy for you!

OK, I will have to wait until this afternoon when I actually have more time to catch up a little bit around here. As for running, I laced up my shoes today for the first time since the marathon on Sunday for a 3 easy miles while chasing the Easy Pacer.

Short day at work today, hurrah!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

JLynne--just a weekend.  Taking advantage of the little states in New England--two hour drive covers parts of three states.  Run in MA in the morning, work in NH, eat dinner in ME.  Of course there are about 5 hours more driving left if you want to go all the way up in ME.  Roll eyes

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

A great break in the weather that made for near-IRC this morning. I have to say that it was particularly pleasant to run without having to take fluids along in a fuel belt; there's just no way they're comfortable with that extra weight hanging off your waist. So I did 5 miles at what I thought was a brisk pace, but turned out to be just slightly sub-10. Must have been all the corners and stops as I negotiated my way through town during the morning rush.

Now I'm a bit captive at home for a few hours while a couple guys install our new gas fireplace insert. Tip: If you want a really good deal and fast installation on a fireplace insert, walk into a fireplace shop on the hottest day of the year in July! They were all over us once they saw that we were serious about buying one right away.

Good luck to the weekend racers, and on all your LRs as well!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave - Big grin

TImbo - sounds very promising with Donna and great to hear about your back back to normal.

Dive, wow, what a tragedy.

Woke up at 4:19 and decided might as well get up and run.  Had to get into work early anyway so that I can leave early.  Did 4.4 easy miles in 65F, windy and humid, still pace seems sluggish, I guess it is the heat.  Wink  Shortly after I got home the thunder and rain started.  Last Friday I was caught in a thunderstorm on the highway, driving through massive puddles, watching the lightening strikes hit the Captial building in Olympia while the kids were fighting with each other to get the best view of the lightening.  I kind of lost my temper.  The driving was treacherous.

Mike - Big grin, sounds exactly like something my DH would do.  He asked me last year if those yellow dandelions were related to the blow weeds in the yard......how unaware can you get?  Didn't he ever roll around in the grass when he was a kid?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Good luck racers and riders.

Dive - that's a shame. I know how you feel. One of my birds was sent to Davis Montham for mothballing a couple of years back. 50 strong years in the fleet was enough but it still brings back memories. You leave some of yourself working on them.

Timbo - great to see things are on upswing.

Enjoy the vacation Jay. I assume you'll sleep in to amplify the R&R. Probably what 4:30 or 4:45? Whatever it is enjoy it.

7 at lunch today. Cooler temps and a hint of more rain. Yes!

Have a great Friday all.

MTA: Just reread the last few days and didin't realize the lost souls on that ship. Wow that's a shame and certainly nothing like just sending a plane to a parking lot. Ugh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm so needing some down time. But first, a crisis or two to try to resolve this morning.

I know how this feels....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

He asked me last year if those yellow dandelions were related to the blow weeds in the yard......how unaware can you get? 

Too funny! 

6.1 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in 76 degrees.  Friday would normally be my non-running day, but I promised DH I would walk with him tomorrow morning.  I did my lower weights last night, and will try to get my upper weights and core sometime tomorrow.

DH has decided we can take out a wall in the kitchen and create a pass-thru, and that he can move some electrical boxes and but a load-bearing beam up.  I so hope he knows what he is doing.  And he has promised we can do this together without him even once snapping at me.  Demo begins in the morning after the walk.  Keeping my fingers crossed......Undecided

Golf league with DH tonight, and right now it is cloudy and 79 degrees - how awesome is that?  We even got some more rain this morning.  The corn looked happier on my way home from work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E I do planters via the same method!  Here I thought I was the only one.  Never planted corn though.  But you do get, well, corn from it!  Plus, in the fall the dried out stalks make great Halloween decorations!

enkephalin dandelions I got down!  Those things I hate!

divechief a major tragedy all around.  Very sad.

stumpy77 and why . . . ?

rochrunner now you just gotta hope they show up on time!

Holly S. install a hidden video camera.  I have been meaning to do that for years to counter local claims I am the mean one in the house!

It seems to have rained nearly non-stop around here since my DW and I returned from our trip.  The other day it was so bad the water was a couple of inches deep under our deck and we have a drain in the area!  More rain today and even now.  At least today was an elliptical day.  Tomorrow is another crazy race distance day for me.  This one is 4.068 miles!  Yea, go figure.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/