Masters Running

The June 3rd daily (Read 50 times)

Mariposai

Good morning folks. It seems like there are so many wonderful races and stories to read around here, but I have to go to work now. I will be back later tonight to add my weekend story. I did see my dear friend Joel to the finish line of his 60th birthday celebration victory lap yesterday. The North Olympic Discovery Marathon should be in everyone's bucket list...the course is stunning! Will come back here later to share more of the story.

Have a fun Monday!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc9ABRTBDHY

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Mari—glad it went well; look forward to hearing more.

Carolyn—not the day you were hoping for but still an impressive race yesterday.

Stumpy—good seafood and a Bruins win; what more could anyone ask for?

Erika—nice tempo and speedy long run duo this weekend.

I thought I might get my run in before the rains returned but I was wrong.  Some good downpours and steady rain for a 10.4 mile easy run.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Morning all.  Mariposai, glad it all worked out for you.  But I'll be on the road this week and won't see your story.  Headed off to Portland, OR for a couple of days.

4.4 recovery miles this morning with my RP.  We ran a bit, walked a bit, ran a bit and so on, so I have no idea how to log that.  Beautiful day here.  Spareribs

Dave59

I ran 6.25 this morning.

My daughter got the job she wanted down in Tallahassee Florida at Florida A&M.  She's down there now and just called with the news.  So she'll be moving down there with my granddaughter.  I've been doing my part to raise the kid for the last 5 years so I am not sure how well I'll handle the change. Confused Roll eyes   I'll do my best to keep it together.  My granddaughter has tried to reassure me that we can still talk using Skype.  My daughter's boyfriend lives there and his family is there too so there will be some local support for her.  I think they plan to get married but nothing is official yet.   Time to start looking for races to do in Tallahassee.

She will be back next week to "defend her thesis" (her last step to finish her masters at Central Michigan), and then she'll start making plans for the move.  They'd like to have her there for summer school which starts 6/24.

Mike E

MM #5615

That's going go be a tough move for you, Dave...I'm sure you can't even prepare yourself for it. Great news for your daughter, though. You gotta be happy about that. Good luck!

Time to start looking for races to do in Tallahassee.

Dave, my DS is doing his Grad/PhD work in Tallahassee (FSU).  If you find a race of interest there, let me know.  Maybe I can make it up too.

I've been absent for several weeks more or less on purpose.  Sorry about that.  I'll post more specific details tomorrow hopefully.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

That's going go be a tough move for you, Dave...I'm sure you can't even prepare yourself for it. Great news for your daughter, though. You gotta be happy about that. Good luck!

My thoughts, too.

Mariposai - looking forward to the details.

I stayed home from work today so I could take DH in at 10:45 for his endoscopy/colonoscopy.  Spent the morning spray-painting my son's hair orange for a school project and cleaning the upstairs carpets.  Took DH to the doctor, returned the carpet cleaner, bought some groceries, and just sat down to sort the files I brought home so that I could get some work done this afternoon.  I'll be heading back to pick him up about noon, get him home and comfortable, and can settle into my work project, sorting through a lot of land records to figure out which ten parcels of farmland our clients currently own (and drafting a new deed).

4 paper-bag recovery miles for me this morning in a lovely 54 degrees.  (I wonder what my race would have been like if we had had this temperature Saturday?)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Weather should be great in Portland for you Ribs. Pretty hot down here though. I always enjoy running along the waterfront when I'm in PDX. Such a gorgeous city.

busy busy week, actually probably a busy couple wks. Lots of deadlines given to me and I'm taking more time off the end of the month for my relay, so I really gotta get cracking!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mari - Lucky joel.  I hope you get to do it again with him in 2023.

In the meantime, we're already looking forward to your and Carolyn's Bastille Day birthday runs in this summer's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon in July.  The first  50 feet's on smooth asphalt so maybe I'll try to talk MikeE into running barefoot while I put on my thongs whenl it hits the old RR tracks.

ps - did ziggy survive the Western States Training Run?

(there's some deep rivers to ford)

Maybe OM's still running in Hawaii.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Wow Holly.     You did all that this morning??     I guess I'm just not used to this any more ; )   I hope your DH's test results are good.  
                      Awesome job Saturday.    I'm glad you didn't have the weather that was forecast, at least.   I read that as I was deciding how much to wimp out on my planned run because of T-storms.    sheesh.

Bill I hope everything is ok.

Dave that is tough.  I am glad, though, that things have worked out so well for your daughter.

Mariposai congratulations!

I'm not going to go back to try & catch up.     A couple of belated things.... TomS, thanks for letting me make the cut off with only 9 miles!    Congratulations on your TM half marathon, yikes.   I hope you're feeling good these days.

I finally got in a real Tselbs qualifier,  : - ), a week ago Saturday I was supposed to run Bayshore but couldn't, so I made do with 10.19 very hilly miles.   My version of very hilly.      What happened between then & now isn't worth repeating, so will just report this morning.. 8:06, also hilly.    Absolutely IRC.  

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but can somebody explain Garmin's av. pace, & av. moving pace?   I don't have mine set for auto pause, or anything.    Sometimes I don't hit stop when I stop briefly to wait for cars or a light or something.   But there's a difference even in miles when I know I didn't stop.   ???

hi everybody Smile

Dave59

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but can somebody explain Garmin's av. pace, & av. moving pace?   I don't have mine set for auto pause, or anything.    Sometimes I don't hit stop when I stop briefly to wait for cars or a light or something.   But there's a difference even in miles when I know I didn't stop.   ???

That happens to me too.  I just assumed I have narcolepsy.

dg.

ha!   Dave I almost said I wonder if it notices when I nap.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good to see everyone up and about today.  Check in when you can, Bongler.

Mariposai, you were one ferry ride away and I didn't realize it.  I feel very silly, because I probably would have had a smarter weekend if I had gone to spectate and cheer.

Friday night, I raced a cycling time trial.  Finished well in my division (2/31) and rather enjoyed crushing a bike ride without the triathlete's ever-nagging worry that I hadn't left enough gas for the run.  As oxygen was returning to my brain on the cooldown loop, I had a brief panic that I didn't know where the T2 dismount line was.  Silly me.

Saturday, succumbed to peer pressure and went out for a very long, very hilly ride with a few friends.  Four hours later, I dragged home, tongue on the ground, with barely enough energy to hang up the bike.

Sunday morning, I was far too thrashed to even think about racing the criterium downtown, so grabbed Pank and headed for the hills, where I promptly got in way over my head.  Literally, as I endo-ed more than once.  I am a gigantic bruise today.  I'm going to have to head back out there after work tonight and get back on the horse what threw me before I completely lose my nerve, as each crash was the direct result of a panic in the first place.  Time to get some flowy mojo back on kind, forgiving trails where I can find some success.

Dave, my DS just graduated from high school (yes, old frens, The Colt is bolting) and wants to move over to a ski town on the mainland, where he can fix bikes in the summer and, um, well, he hasn't figured out how he'll earn a living in the winter.  I'll miss him.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Dave, my DS just graduated from high school (yes, old frens, The Colt is bolting) and wants to move over to a ski town on the mainland, where he can fix bikes in the summer and, um, well, he hasn't figured out how he'll earn a living in the winter.  I'll miss him.

Well, he's young and it's a fair way to wintertime, even in the great white north.  Wink  That sounds like a painful way to learn, but it sure looks like fun when you do know what you're doing.  Hope it happens before the bruising is terminal.

Welcome back, Bill (I hope).  in my usually perceptive way, I had just recently realized that I hadn't seen anything from you in a while.  Hi, Deb, too.

I have a 5am flight tomorrow morning.  DW wants to know if I'm running before I need to leave for the airport at 3:30. Roll eyes I think the schedule may move out a day.  I'll be near Roanoke, VA and very near the Appalachian Trail.  I'm wondering if I can sneak over for a little run there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Funny, My DH and I were talking about you while in Sequim. We said the same, one fairy away from Mustang Sally!

We go often there now since our dear friends the Yellands moved there. I will let you know of our next plan to go there.

Mariposai, you were one ferry ride away and I didn't realize it.  I feel very silly, because I probably would have had a smarter weekend if I had gone to spectate and cheer.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard