Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 11/04 (Read 260 times)

Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning. (Thomas Jefferson)

I'm still trying to recover from the weekend.  I was suppose to put in 4 miles this morning, but I was exhausted after going, going, going.  The late night Saturday did me in (am I getting old or what?).  Both yesterday morning and this morning I woke up feeling hung over and I don't drink!  I think the higher-than-normal humidity we've been experiencing and lack of my regular water intake over the two days contributed to feeling crappy.  I plan on running my 4 miles after work and not doing any transcription tonight.  Just getting into my PJ's, making granola, and relaxing.

And to our friends on the other side of the country - Stay Safe!  You're in our prayers.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

And to our friends on the other side of the country - Stay Safe!  You're in our prayers.

What Leslie said!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Joe. and (Joe) Shadowrunner have been on my mind a lot these past 24 hours.  I hope they and they're loved ones are safe, as well as all our other East Coast runner friends.  In watching the news this morning, the devastation, especially in New Jersey, is astounding.  We may not be hearing from folks for awhile, depending on where they are located.

4 miles this a.m. with a bit of a tempo run for Miles 2 and 3.  I feel SO much better than I did yesterday!  I used to be able to stay up 'til all hours and run around with no problems.  Now?  Nope.  Was in bed by 8:30 and asleep before 9:00 last night.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Anyone hearing anything from Joe?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

There was a post on fb last night, I think from a sister, saying that he was playing monopoly by candlelight Wink

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hey all , we were very lucky. Out of power at home. I came to NYC (by bus) to check on clients and connect to the outside world.

We live in a waterfront community but are up on a bluff. We had some minor damage from fallen trees but that's it. The homes that were down lower and closer to the water are in really bad shape. The wind damage was bad, but the water destroyed all the houses along the bay about a half mile from home. Boats as big as 40- 45 feet long thrown up and now sit 2 blocks in on people's front lawns. Have not been able to check on our boat. It's about a half hours drive south and since there's no gas stations open, don't want to go yet. Insurance is paid on it, we'll see.

Very grateful to have been so lucky. Many others around here were not.

It's so good to hear from you, Joe!  I've been worried about you and your DW.  I assume your kids are safe, as well?  We've been watching the news, and the devastation is just awful.  My prayers to everyone.  It's definitely going to be a long-term recovery.

4 miles this a.m. in very windy conditions.  Between the crap blowing in my face and pushing against the strong headwind, I'm sure I burned a couple of extra calories (wishful thinking, wishful thinking). 

The rain is coming down pretty good right now, ensuring a wet Halloween.  Our church is holding a Halloween Carnival (it does every year), so The Hub and I are working one of the games.  Last year they had over 2500 kids/people walk through the doors.  The whole thing is free, including hotdogs, water, cotton candy, etc.  One of the biggest community outreach programs it has every year.  I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey! Great to hear from you and that you are well, Joe! Hope the boat is okay as well.....sad news about the HMS Bounty & her people! I always intended to go see her Cry

WHAT have I gotten myself into!?!? ShockedRoll eyes 

Marathon: Set a PR for your WOW factor on this course! This course is unique and wild. The canyons around Moab are unlike anywhere in the world, and this course conquers some of the most spectacular! You will travel through narrow canyons with spectacular vertical walls on both sides and along the rim-tops of deep canyons with spectacular vistas every direction. The terrain changes frequently to keep the miles clicking and includes narrow single-track, rugged jeep trails, sandy washes, ‘Moab-style slickrock’, a short section of dirt road, a few sections of no-track, a very old mining trail and a couple sections of fixed line traverse. Views will take your breath away, and include the spectacular red rocks of “Behind the Rocks Wilderness” and “Amasa Back” area, also view the sheer vertical walls of Pritchett, Hunter and Kane Creek Canyons and views into Canyonlands National Park. In the distance are the beautiful 12,000 foot La Sal Mountains. You’ll pass by several arches, lots of lizards, some really cool and funny looking rocks, possible eagles and hawks, some neat ancient pictographs, a couple small creeks and springs, and our friendly aid station volunteers who will be there to hydrate and fuel you in some of the craziest spots! The elevation gain and loss is about 3500 ft. There are two major climbs, one at the beginning which is nice and gradual, and one just after the ½ way point which is shorter and steeper. There are several other short climbs and descents throughout the course. The top runners will run all but the fixed rope section and are expected to finish in less than 4 hours. Average runners will do a combo of running with a bit of walking and are expected to finish in the 5 to 6 hr range. If you want to feel ecstatic and in awe after a race, then this one is for you!

& more here: http://moabtrailmarathon.com/pdf/race-day%20information%202012.pdf   I particularly like the "death or injury" notations.....

~ At least the weather will be great! Sunny 37/68

We head out in the morning for the 6 hr drive. Carolyn/Wildchild & DH are already out there hiking, as well as a good sized contingent of our Boulder class A's. ...I hope they save me a beer or two!! It should be a great gathering & a gorgeous course Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - That looks like quite the adventure!!  Take a camera.

. . . . . . 3,400 kids . . . . . all wanting candy . . . . . . countless times squatting down in front a kid to tell them the rules of the game . . . . . countless times squatting or bending over to pick up the bean bags . . . . loud music . . . . clean up afterward.  My butt is sore, my legs are tired, and I'm beat down tired.  Consequently, no running this a.m.  I did get up in anticipation of running, but sat in the chair for about 10 minutes and absolutely no way.  Wish I could've stayed in bed all day.  Shorty said that when he was in the bathroom after the event closed down, another guy walked in, stopped, and said, "It's quiet."  Big grin

On the plus side of last night (okay - it was all a plus, and I had fun), we spent a few minutes before things got started talking to our pastor.  I'd met him once, and Shorty had never met him.  He's an excellent runner.  Grew up in Oregon, was one the top XC runners in the country, was on the Seattle racing team with the likes of Scott Jurek (BIG name in ultra running), knows other folks who are big in the ultra running scene. etc.   We're talking fast.  So guess what we talked about?!?  Maybe one of these days I'll get up the nerve to ask him to go trail running with me.  The problem is, he's so frigging fast, he'd leave me in the dust.  Oh wait - as a pastor, he's suppose to treat me with the utmost kindness, right?? Wink

We have a mediation going on all day today.  Up the stairs, down the stairs, up the stairs, down the stairs, up, down, up, down.  Who needs running when you're stair climbing all day!

MTA: I did a hunt on the 'net for Matt Messner.  Um, I knew he was a top runner, but I found the following (holy crap!!):

Matt is well known throughout the Northwest for his abilities as a distance runner, having won the Portland Marathon in 1999 and having competed in the 1996 & 2000 Olympic Trials.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - so glad to hear that you're ok and that your boat is insured. I'm surprised that you could get into the city by bus. Bet this cut into your taper miles, heh.

Leslie - wow, what a lot of "cross-training" you've been doing! 3500 kids - sounds fun and exhausting. Had a nice trick-or-treater turnout this year in the neighborhood but of course nothing like that! You should be brave and ask your pastor to go running sometime. Everyone's up for an easy run from time to time, even people who can run with the likes of Jurek!

Cindy - looks like your best off avoiding that event in the future. I wonder how many other disgruntled people got the same form letter? Oh, and I was done with that Moab event with the words "lots of exposure". Shocked

Enjoying my taper and my cold is pretty well over. Unfortunately, Sunday is looking like it might be a touch on the warm side for a fast marathon, with temps starting in the low 50s but going up to 80.

Ex runner

Arla - You've probably said, but what marathon are you running on Sunday?

Someday I might get up the nerve to ask Matt to run.  We'll see.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ah, just our local Fresno marathon, Two Cities. It's actually a fantastic event, run by runners, lots of great swag, it's relatively cheap, and the start/finish area is just over half a mile from my front door. 

Ex runner

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joe--glad to hear the you and yours are in good shape.  hope the boat survives.  Not sure insurance money would make up for all the effort invested.

Arla--have a good marathon.  Nice warm up run and probably not even a worry about prtapottie lines Joking

leslie--I say go for it.  Those races were 10-12 years ago.  He's most likely aged poorly and you can run him ragged.

Cindy--Good luck on your marathon, too.  That definitately ain't the East coast, that's for sure.  does sound like fun, though.

finishing up here in NC after 3-2 week segments.  All my major pieces of the project worked and we are considered substantially complete and made the 10/31 deadline.  Of course that doesn't mean finished--all the last little details and punch list items will still be going on for a while.  But it looks like I may actually get a whole week at home and in the office.  Hope someone has been watering my plant.  DW says she has a good list going for me to make up for all the time I've been away.Roll eyes  Maybe even {gasp} some more regular running.

greetings to everyone else.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Quicky flyby post

Joe glad to hear you are safe.

Good luck weekend racers!

jfa

Hey all, good to see a sense of normalcy here.

Good day for us already. For the first time since the storm, we're able to acquire gas and ice. We are comfortable and being told another week until power is restored. We have gas hot water,stove and fireplace. I can not complain at all ,I simply have towalk outside to see others worse off than us.

I had a bit of a moral delima regarding the marathon on Sunday,but it was brief. It's still on, though it should be delayed. Right near the start (which doesn't have damage)in staten island  people have lost lives, homes, everything. No power. How they can justify taking even one cop or emt away from service to run the race is silly. Fortunately, although I'll lose my entrance fee, I can defer until next year. That's my plan.Coincidentally, there's a marathon Sunday morning about an hour and a half from here. I signed up for it last night .