Masters Running

Saturdaily 2/17 (Read 39 times)

bioguy

Seemed like a quiet Friday ad lots of folks on treadmills..

RunnerKSA- 3.1 road, 2.2 TM

Dave59 5.35 TM

tomwhite 60 min Xbike

mrrun 3.8

tesujin 2.8

henrun 1.5

Anzio 4 run and 1 fast walk

denise 3.2 TM

Falcon 6 total

Holly 5 TM

My wife hauled me to the fabric store last night that' about an hour away for more quilting supplies. I endured the suffering because there was a new to us restaurant on the route that turned out to be a gem! We live in the boonies, so interesting ethnic food is totally absent. The local Chinese place is beyond bad. This however was a Mediterranean place with seating for 6 people. Wow- totally fresh ingredients and very inexpensive. Well spoken friendly young man running it. Watched a little Olympics then early bedtime

Hoping for 10 today.

BTW Holly- I (and most other teachers, but me in particular) work way more days than my 192 contracted days. I've had several other careers- farm manager, horseshoer, worked in some stores, and I passionately love teaching. But these last couple of years I've seen such a decrease in respect, curiosity, and general manners from an ever growing number of young people the job I love is losing its luster. The number of people entering teaching is declining and the number of teachers who quit the profession upon three years of starting is increasing.

Tailwinds!

Thanks for the start bioguy!!

6.4 miles sunny crisp miles - now to get ready for the drive to the Cape.

Holly - have a fun weekend

Tet - you are right, I pray I don't end up with dementia/Alzheimer's and I pray always for patience and compassion - some days r better than others

Lent for me is a time to try and grow spiritually and become a better version of me - He is certainly providing me with plenty of opportunities to grow!!

Happy feet and safe weekend to all!!

denise

...thanks bioguy.....

...deez//.....I have been reading ''Conquering Fear'' by Harold Kushner (a rabbi)

a Good Point

he makes is-

''God's job isn't to make Sick People Well, His job is to make Sick People Brave''

.........having gotten thru

my Mom's 2-yr fight against Cancer

and

my Dad's Dementia and Deafness

I take some comfort in that

===============

48-min PoolRun cf, nb, ris, paw

and

just to Ice The Cake,,,,,,,,,,,SpeedoBoy is back........not a Pretty Sight

................Wishing You Good Work-Outs.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Bioguy, It's an interesting dichotomy that we expect our teachers to do more of the job of raising our kids, teaching them morals, ethics, etc., and yet teachers don't get the respect they deserve. I wonder if some parents (and their kids) feel some guilt about not being good parents, so they take it out on the teachers rather than accept the blame themselves.

At about 11:00 last night, I took a Nyquil cough-suppressant. It worked and I got a good night's sleep, but at 8:00 this morning I was still feeling light-headed with an unsettled stomach. We take stuff like that so infrequently that it seems it's impact is magnified whenever we do take it. I should have taken no more than a half dose. The good news is that I'm finally out of bed, and will use today to get some strength back so I can get out tomorrow to snowblow the 3-5 inches of white stuff we're supposed to get overnight.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I don't know what is going on with me but I got hit with another flu bug.  I got hit hard about 2 1/2 weeks before my marathon...fever, cold sweats at night, body aches, and a hacking cough that lasted until about a day before the race.  Then, this past Wednesday morning, I woke up feeling nauseated and...blamo--threw my guts out.  Somehow, I managed to get through these last 3 days at work but, as soon as I got home, I went straight to bed.  This morning, I feel like I might be turning the corner, but I still feel so week.  It's a good thing I got that flu shot a couple months ago.  I just feel so lucky that the timing of these things allowed me to fit in my marathon.

So--I scanned the last three days of posts.  I saw that Anzlo has joined us...welcome!  By the way, Anzlo--tet remembers EVERYTHING!

No, Tramps--it was not a good hockey game...but I really appreciate you bringing it up...

Jay--if I take Nyquil, I feel it for the next three days.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Okay--gotta go.  I have 109 emails to delete read through.  See ya!

C-R

Hey all. Hope jay and mike feel better soon.

Got 21 this morning. Tried something new. No gu or fuel. Man that was tough. Won’t do that again. State wrestling finals today so lots of cheering some dedicated young men.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Anzlo

Mike, Coastwalker - I hope you recover quickly; its been a bad bug this season.

Tet - Sorry to hear you are suffering from a similar condition as mine (if I understood your last post correctly), that your doctor was really unhelpful, and almost nasty towards you.

C-R - Nice, 21 miles, I am hoping for that distance again by the end of summer if all goes well.

Easy 4 mile up-tempo recovery walk this morning.  I might not get my desired 18 run miles this week (need 6 more tomorrow) if family things develop unexpectedly as it looks like they might.  I might get a few more tomorrow before anything happens.

Have a great weekend folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Pouring rain and 40 degrees- no way.   4.2 miles on the treadmill.  Didn't want to do it, but I did.  Vandy v Florida this afternoon and the Big Recruit that we are fighting IU and Kansas for will be there.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

symptoms
                    anzie - we have the same symptoms but mine just needed a little operation to get everything back in order.  I’m 100% back to normal for lifting, sitting/standing, and can finally get in-and-out of the bathtub, etc. but, I guess I’ll be living with some incidental discomfort for a long time, if not forever.  I think my running should get back to normal too but old-aging during the lost year-and-a-half has probably changed “normal” to something I probably won’t recognize or like.  I should be able to run all the way in next week’s Lunar Year-of-the-Dog 5K so we’ll see.
                    ps - if it ever gets worse, I’m movin’
                    to the East Coast where deezie is.
                    jobs
                    bioboy - there’s nothing wrong with solely working for paycheck needed for yourself and everyone who depends on you, everyone's medicals, kids’ colleges, neat vacations, ultimately a decent retirement, etc. but my heart leaps with joy for anyone who really, truly loves their work so much they can hardly wait to get there everyday and the fortunate few who are lucky enough to keep doing it after our supposed retirements. Thanks for your posts.

pps - I’m pretty sure KSA is the only other of the thousands of lawyers I’ve known the past 45 years who’s liked her jobs and continues to like what she does almost as much as I have too. It’s so sad to see some of ‘em with such great jobs that they come to get because of the salaries but only end up complaining and can hardly wait to retire.
                    ppps KSA - do you know anyone like you?  I doubt it.
                    pppps - was the Big Recruit there just watchin" or already playin'"

Spinning
                    I was going to skip spinning this morning but got enough done in the j-o’clock hours to get a good enough start on Monday to check in after all.  The instructor is the best: chatting non-stop (while we were panting-and-gasping), counting off cadences (falcon - on Spinners that don’t have digital readouts), playing cadence coordinated loud beat music you’d never find me listening to otherwise, etc. , . . . . except not so good when she was walking around encouraging everyone and noticed when I only pretended to tighten the gear down as instructed.  She gave me the eye but my tightening it down another 1/8th turn didn’t impress her very much so, with a big smile (and my laughing), she reached out and tightened it down another quarter turn.  No wonder I love fitness classes so much.

I was so tired, I dozed off in the sauna.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bioguy

Really nice 10 miler at a 10:10 pace before the snow started falling. Worried bout our gutters I dragged out a ladder and cleared crap out of one section anyway.

My wife is on call for the hospital (recovery room nurse) so she has to be within 1/2 drive time until 7am Monday. She went in today for a minor case.

My son called early and wanted us to babysit his dog. I shouldn't have said yes, but here we are, stuck with this mutt until sometime Monday. We have an old Akita and a young labrador. My son and fiance got a female Akita, but it has zero manners and is aggressive to our dogs, so this weekend will be a p.i.a.

Oh well, back to grading exams....

Tailwinds!

Absolutely beautiful celebration of life for my sister-in-law!! The turnout for th luncheon was great and my dh did a really nice job on his speech.

Tomwhite - thanks for the book suggestion, I already downloaded it to my Kindle.

Tet - if you are ever on the East Coast I hope I have the honor of spending time with you!!

Mike and Jay - hope you feel better soon and Mike hope your co-workers don't get too mad at you if they catch your germs  ðŸ˜·ðŸ˜·ðŸ˜œ

CR - 21 miles!! I'm thinking I need a double digit run soon!!

denise

spacityrunner

6 miles around the neighborhood. Oh boy our hills may not be big but they sure do go on forever! Managed a respectable 12:48 m/m.

Bioguy we have to teach our dogs manners, they don't automatically come with them   

Tet:  how long were you sleeping int he sauna??  Most that I've been in have a 15 min time "warning" ...

Trails Rock!

I have no idea how anybody goes into K-12 teaching. The thought of classes all day five days a week makes me shudder. My SIL teaches math in junior high. I would kill myself.

Mike E this is one awful flu season. Kind of expected it. When I was in Australia in October they were talking about what a miserable flu season they were having and that it likely portended the same for the northern hemisphere when our winter came.

Ran my last double digit run today before next Saturday's Mesa Marathon. A total of 13 outside. I sort of got lucky with the weather. It was sunny (if cold) during my run. But it is snowing now and that will continue until it piles up 3" to 7". Then tomorrow it warms up and hopefully all that stuff melts!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Hi All!

22 miles on the Rogue River Trail today. Legs not really tired much at all at the end. I was surprised. These were pretty technical trails with lots of rocky areas to carefully navigate. great run and great views.

pretty foggy at the early start:

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor, nature and water

nice easy stretch of running was welcome!

Image may contain: tree, plant, grass, sky, outdoor and nature

the Rogue River. surprisingly, several rafters out today. a large group was embarking on a 3 day rafting trip. Supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow and into Monday, so while I think they are absolutely crazy to head out with a winter storm warning , I can only imagine how breathtaking the views will be rafting down the Rogue with snow on the hills.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Tammy

Tets-  I think there is higher job satisfaction among in-house lawyers, for the most part.  The lawyers at our company are pretty happy.  I know my boss is.  Of course, we work for the best company in the world, so there’s that.   As far as law firm lawyers, I also see more satisfaction among the employment law ranks- I.e. the national employment law specialty firms.  The work is just more interesting.

The Big Recruit has not announced his commitment.  His final 3 are Vandy, Indiana (my alma mater) and Kansas.  Vandy already has 3 stud recruits who are committed, which is a big draw for this final kid (Romeo Langford is his name).  He is from Indiana, and I think if he is picking IU, he would have announced by now to shut everyone up.  The IU fan base is being ridiculous and embarrrassing- and I say that as a fan and an alum.   I’ve become more of a Vandy fan, though, since IU has been on a slide ever since Bobby Knight.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth