Masters Running

Quad City Marathon......A Race Report (Read 356 times)

Slo

Thanks all for the encouragement.

It is much appreciated. I'm looking forward to doing another......probably not this season but this spring there are two that I have always had my eye on. Jlynne.....if your reading this....they are both in Wisconsin. Either the Green Bay Marathon (I hear there's plenty of beer and tons of brauts) or the Mad City Marathon in Madison.

WRFB......Miller Light   

SLO,

Like others have alreday said ... 30 mins off PR is awesome and great progress, but know a little under your goal and a bit dissapointed now ... but sit back and put it in perspective and you will see what a good job you did.

One thing I have noticed from maintaining Fall Marathon Thread is We all (Well 90% of RAers) set goals that are high .. some would say to high ... We all probably could/maybe should make/set reasonable goals, but what fun would that be to PR by 2 minutes ... We want to kick the damn door down!

Next month I could only Hope I do as well as you by knocking 30 minutes off PR .... I am shooting for 25 minutes off PR.  

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Tramps

.Miller Light   

So they were actually doing you a favor by limiting you to one beer.

Be safe. Be kind.

Well done dear SLO in spite of the fact that you are a bit disappointed.  Your training has clearly been spot on - you can hit your goal in the future.  Sorry about the beer shortage!  Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

SLO, even though you did not make your 3:30 goal, you didn't miss it by much and the half hour PR is a big deal.  I'm sure you'll get that 3:30 in the not too distant future.  Congratulations.

TomS

First congrats on such a huge PR!

I understand any disapointments but maybe it just was not your day.

I know if I allow myself a walk break late in a race I hardly ever can recover my pace from before I walked. Its physical and mental at that point. My legs tighten up and its hard to get them going again especially if I am running at the fast side of my limits at that distance.  I avoid walking because of this. I know almost everyone else can walk and then pick it back up so maybe its just me. I will slow down for water stops but not to a walk pace. Looks like somewhere around mile 20 you backed off and just cruised in. Thats what a lot of people do when they know they will not achieve their goal which means you can try again sooner than if you gave it your all and still didn't make it.

Congratulations and  its there for sure the next time

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

SLO_ It's nice you ran much faster than before and still have room for another PR soon.  It is disappointing when training results and race day don't match up but that's all part of the marathon challenge.  No specifics on your hydration/gel intake. Often that alone will do you in. I hope you learned alot to come back soon and attack another one. (remember Tramps bailed on one and then came back and ran a spectacular race)... so will you!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

It often happens that there is a performance "disconnect" between training miles and quality, and your marathon time.  One thing to consider, were it not for your shin problem now, is running  a second marathon soon after the first, so that in your next cycle you run a marathon, then as soon as you are fully recovered you run another one.  I am convinced that the best training for a successful marathon is to run the marathon.  You will run a breakthrough race in the 2nd one following any marathon effort.  Too bad about the shin, as this would be a good experience for you.  Well done on the PR.  Spareribs
                    Thanks for the report, which I was quite interested in.   Nothing goes perfect all the time, does it, and we are all dealing with our own hand of cards most of the time.  The shin splints are a bummer for anyoue.  I'm very impressed with your PR.  Keep up the good work!