Masters Running

Monday 1/28/19 (Read 45 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, I'm impressed by your barefoot marathons!

One of the guys I ran with yesterday has a 3 1/2 year running streak of running every day in shorts!!!  He at least does some of each run in shorts - yesterday he put on wind pants at about mile 4, because the deep snow was making his legs and ankles a bit cold!    I also ran with him on New Years Day, when it was in the single digits.  I think he made it a mile or 2 before he put on long pants.

It's snowing (again) and we have maybe 4" already, so I think I'll call it a rest day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Data Privacy Day!

in honor of this important day, I got a call from our IT guy on the way to work this morning asking me if I was in Sweden.  apparently, he received a notification from our security system that someone in Sweden had logged into my email account.  So I got to be the person named in the email of shame--"treat any email from Kevin as suspicious until further notice".   Appears to be a random occurrence, rather than any wrong doing on my part, but did get the lecture about not repeating passwords and try a password program.  Ah, Monday mornings.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks all. I'm feeling much better today as, after yesterday's first,

and only so far, day of winter in the PNW, unseasonably sunny

and warm springtime weather with temps back up into the fifties

returns again today even causing the petunias

to bud now instead of in March.

coming off the bike and trying to start running again shows you why it's called a "brick"!

as has been proven time-and-time again in all the triathlons and duathons

I've ever done, legs can be so darn right wobbly as to require leaning

on the bike like a crutch when trying to get to the bike racks

and on to the runs, . . . with lots of walking before starting to run.

Sounds like you too.

One of the guys I ran with yesterday has a 3 1/2 year running streak of running every day in shorts!!!  He at least does some of each run in shorts - yesterday he put on wind pants at about mile 4, because the deep snow was making his legs and ankles a bit cold!    I also ran with him on New Years Day, when it was in the single digits.  I think he made it a mile or 2 before he put on long pants.

Carolyn - I never have, and never will, run in tights but never dreamed of running in shorts when the weather dictates otherwise. Running is for shorts which is why, here in the PNW, I don't run that much in the winter and never ran in the winter either when living up south and southeast of erika-land.  However, somehow I admire your friend's dedication and think it's fantastic. To do it everyday, though, where there's so much good snow around up there makes me wonder if he doesn't ski.

ps big cat owners - of course, I've never done it before

but some people holding their fish as close as possible

to the camera to make it look bigger might work with cats.

Related image

.. . .B

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

in honor of this important day, I got a call from our IT guy on the way to work this morning asking me if I was in Sweden.  apparently, he received a notification from our security system that someone in Sweden had logged into my email account.  So I got to be the person named in the email of shame--"treat any email from Kevin as suspicious until further notice".   Appears to be a random occurrence, rather than any wrong doing on my part, but did get the lecture about not repeating passwords and try a password program.  Ah, Monday mornings.

..well,

if it makes you feel any better,  ''hälsningar från Sverige''......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I hope that is just a little twinge from the snow running.  Tough to miss out on a good weather day, but I agree that resting it is better.

Carolyn - I have never been a fan of running streaks - frankly they just seem silly to me and I think they cause people to run when they should not (KSA, for instance, with pneumonia!).  However, that is an admirable streak, and a testament to his stubbornness.  Not always a bad thing.  I guess.

DD's swab strep test was negative, but the doc said it only tests for one strain, and that her throat definitely looked like strep, so she is starting a round of antibiotics which will hopefully nip it.

With DH gone, and the need to get up at 5:30 with him, and the fact that I feel like crud, it is taking a lot of willpower for me to set the alarm to get up and run anyway.  He gets home late tomorrow night, and plans to take Wednesday off to do laundry and acclimate to the time change, so I will likely take Wednesday as a rest day and sleep in (somewhat) with him, and get up at 7am instead to make it to work.  The high that day has now been lowered to 3 degrees.  Definitely the kids will be off school.  (Don't laugh, Erika.)  Frankly, I would rather stay home and work remotely if I could.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild I saw tetsujin209's quote of your post before seeing yours. Yet, a somehow I knew it had to be a friend of yours being described. I am impressed with that streak. I also think he should be locked up, somewhere warm, for his own good.  Brrr!

Long and somewhat frustrating day. I woke up at 4a4am and could not get back to sleep. When I finally gave up I did a 40 minute elliptical session. Then off to classes. I had asked the students in my real estate class to read a short Wall Street Journal article, look at a couple of graphs and come prepared to discuss a couple of questions. About 2/3 did not even read the article!  These are (physically) 20 and 30 year olds! To finish off the day I had a particularly pointless faculty meeting to attend. I am done. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

4.3 miles on Hot Springs Mountain tonight.  It was great weather for running...but it is changing as I type this.  The vortex is on its way!!!

I was going to not run tonight cause I was feeling "off" but went anyway.  So glad I did cause now I feel right as rain.  Funny how a run will do that for ya.

Trails Rock!

In fairness to me, I didn’t run once I was diagnosed with pneumonia.  I had stopped before the diagnosis even.  I thought I just had bronchitis.  I like to think I’m somewhat reasonable about my streaks and stop when I’m injured or definitely too sick to be running.  Someone else here on RA will probably never be really OK because she would not give up her streak even when her hips and back hurt so much she couldn’t even turn over in bed.  Her streak is still going- 7 years plus, I think.  I was actually stupider about the Strava/Lululemon challenge.  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tet - congrats on the 1st marathon of 2019!!

TwoCat - yay to a continuous 1 mile!!

Holly - hope you and DD both feel better soon!!

Erika - hope it's just a minor twinge for you

KSA - that is one big cat!!

All - thanks for the tips for my ouchie knee!! I bought a brace/wrap for my knee last night on the way home from work as it was really achy from walking the labor floors and getting in my 1mile walk after 8pm mass to stay in the Winter Warrior Challenge. I have been taking motrin, using ice, essential oils and other homeopathic ointments and I do see an improvement today. Less swelling and pain!!

I did my usual walk from the garage to the hospital today which usually is 1.1 -1.2 miles, but for some reason today my Garmin clocked it at 1.5 miles --- how does that happen? Bad satellite?? Weird!!

Also had a work friend who is also a runner athlete look at my knee and she thinks I irritated/inflamed the ITB insertion point. Hopefully rest, foam rolling, ice along with the motrin and homeopathic treatments will help it heal quickly. If I go back to CrossFIt (which I'm not sure about yet) I will be sure to take it even easier on the weighted squats and jump roping!!

So I don't know -- 1.5 mile walk along my usual 1.2 mile route???????

Justin turned 31 today - 10 months sobriety and is having shoulder surgery tomorrow for labrum tears. Prayers welcomed and appreciated!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

No streaking for me.  I hate being laughed at.

Many schools in our state are closed until Thursday, including our district.  They are forecasting -32° with a windchill of -60°.  You know--when I was a kid--they would have never closed the school just because it was cold.  Things are different, today, though.  I'm a lot older, for one.

I got up at 4:00 am and shoveled our driveway, then drove to Eric's house and shoveled his--because I knew he wouldn't.  Then I shoveled out one of our houses we're remodeling.

Even though the trails and the roads were covered with snow, I attempted my 3 x 2 strength workout on them...it did not go well.  I was shooting to do them at a 6:30 pace and only managed to get one of them under 7.  Oh, well...I tried.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got up in time to get in 5.25 miles before work.  About a 9 min/mile pace.  Nice run.  Temps chilly (just below freezing) but minimal wind so quite pleasant.

Hmm, didn't know the shorts thing was a streak....in that case, the last time I ran in long pants or tights was like 2005 or 2006.  Less of a big deal since I lived in Georgia then Alabama.  Coldest I've run in like that is about 10 deg F.  And I won't bore anyone again with my running streak story.  I've deliberately not tracked it since recovering from the broke leg/dislocated foot.  Pretty sure I've not done anything remotely as crazy as when I was tracking the streak.

Roch/Tet, Yeah BRicks can be … interesting.  Definitely easier to go run to bike than vice versa.

Tet, congratulations on the marathon!  I keep forgetting you run barefoot.  That's amazing.  Farthest I've ever made it is about 3/4 of a mile....very much in awe of your accomplishments!

Have a greta night everyone!

No running for me today despite the wonderful Spring weather.

But all the posts about the weather made me recall heading out for the 1/2 mile walk to grade school one Central Oregon morning, and the thermometer was at -42. Yes, farenheit. It was one of those old mercury thermometers so no telling how accurate it was at that extreme temp, but it was at least 30-35 below, and quite possibly actually 42 below. There were several days when it was at least -20, and I remember having cold feet and legs in just a half a minute. I was told it approached -50 with windchill when I lived in Fairplay, CO. Most of the cars wouldn't start in the morning, even if they had a block heater. I have no idea how or why my Tacoma would start when no one else's cars would. I didn't have a block heater, and the oil must have been near solid.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

SB -how were you driving in grade school?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."