Masters Running

Happy Mother's Day! Master Runs, Workouts, and Mom stuff (Read 450 times)

evanflein

I agree with the training without approach. I don't carry water, either, but that's mainly because I just don't like to carry anything. I've tried the fuel belts, and they always just flop around so annoyingly. I've done the carry the bottle thing, and that's even more annoying. But I will go by places that I know will have water, and make a quick pit stop, but only in warmer weather. Another reason I don't carry stuff on my longer runs... well, usually I'm about a mile or two in and then think "Doh! I forgot the Gu!!" so sometimes it's accidental more than intentional... I can't wait to see how Byll does in his marathon. You've been running so well and just nailing your paces, it's pretty cool to read about! Some very nice 20+ milers out there this weekend. I'm starting to get a little wistful about running. I read those and think "ah, must be nice..." And I'm starting to momentarily hate runners I see on the road. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be out there soon. Which got me to thinking... I'll 'fess up to a .2 mile run on the treadmill yesterday to see how thing are coming along. This was after 40 minutes of a hard interval workout on the elliptical and a half mile walk c/d. The run felt a little stiff at first, but overall... no real issues. I wonder how long I'm supposed to "not run" to settle things down in my back? And really, I find sitting for anything more than 20 minutes is harder on me than anything I do on my feet. But no one has told me "no sitting." This is a strange situation and I'm not really sure how to proceed. No one has given me a timeframe for this... Confused
    Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Happy Mother's Day!! I ran a 5K race this morning in Kirkland, could have done the half but last year I really didn't like the course and promised to myself I wouldn't repeat the frusrating experience. Last minute decision for a hilly course on a gorgeous sunny day. Started out a bit too slow...than hit the long hill and ended up with a 23:07 , according to my watch. My next race on Saturday and it will be a 12H one......maybe I should narrow down my range, but I just can't decide which distance I like best!! A great day and runs to all!!! Francesca
        Being a warm weather runner, I use my Fuel Belt a lot. When it's warm and I'm running more than 12 miles or so I wear it. Two bottles for shorter runs, 4 bottles for those 20 milers. In the winter and early spring, I don't use it unless going really long - 15 or more. I don'r sweat much during the nice times of year, so don't need it. I never understand the "flopping around" thing that some people complain about. Mine never moves. Very comfortable and convenient. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

I never understand the "flopping around" thing that some people complain about. Mine never moves. Very comfortable and convenient.
          Yeah, same here. My DW did start using mine so I got a new one which I don't like nearly as much. The newer models no longer have the elastic loop that holds bottles in securely. Now if I lean over to tie my shoes or something, plop, a bottle invariably falls out. Also, the new style of the plastic bottles is curved too much so they flop over when filling if you're not very careful. Why do companies mess with a good thing? Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought you loved that warm weather stuff?
            I do, I do, and I don't mean to disparage it at all. I LOVE heading out the door without having to carefully gauge the weather conditions to decide what layers to wear, worrying about finding, miles from home, that I'm dressed wrong and freezing. Singlet, skirt, shoes and go! I love that about summer. However, I still have to get acclimated to the H&H, just like everyone else. Those first few "drenched with sweat" runs take it out of me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Last time I said this Twocat replied "there are no studies."
              If my memory isn't shot (that's a big if) -- I think Matt Fitzgerald cited a couple that conflict in his book I read. I will have to dig it out tonight. I don't remember the studies but I remember his conclusion -- run some with, and some without. And that was only in reference to the long run. Nothing on shorter stuff, naturally. CNYRunner, well, I'm using the slide board to help reawaken my ski muscles to balance out my legs. So Warren Miller's a natural. Big grin I'm using a cross-training approach for my first marathon to help get to the starting line healthy. I'm also going to throw in swimming until the fall, as that was my competitive sport from age 6-14. Talk about re-awakening some muscles! I think I'll hit the pool for the first time this week. My theory in all of this is that by reminding my body of what it does well already, I'll have a firmer base and more confidence to push into new territory with running. Just trying to stay loose and confident. I use the Crush 22 oz single bottle carrier from Fuel Belt. It sits on a diagonal in the small of my back and doesn't flop on me. It could be that there's a nice shelf for it to sit on just south of that... Undecided

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all you greyt moms out there. Thanks for sharing your families with us and here's to you all for setting such super examples for your kiddoes (and theirs) by staying on the roads and trails in your running shoes. And virtual white carnations to everyone who, like me, is missing their mom today. I used to give my mom "pokies" on Mother's Day--it what I called flowers. You know, they poke up from the ground. So I'm off to a nursery to get some pokies in a basket to hang outside. 10 easy miles for me in 1:34, about a 9:25 pace, I think. grins, A p.s. DH loved the new Star Trek movie.
                Masters 2000 miles
                  I never understand the "flopping around" thing that some people complain about. Mine never moves. Very comfortable and convenient. Bill
                  What kind do you have, Bill?
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Evryday, I own the Fuel Belt 4-bottle variety. I have had it for about 3 years so it's not a new one. The key is to wear the Fuel Belt snugly over the hips, not up on the waist. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Well Byll, that's part of the problem. Being female and all I have a smaller waist than hips... so if I wear it around my hips it eventually rides up and bounces around. I can't stand having anything tight around my waist, or even not so tight, so can't put it there. I've tried maybe 5 or 6 different kinds and gave up.
                        Whew! Such a busy weekend, I need to go back to work tomorrow just to get some rest! And with two concerts and three recruitment events this week, plus my regular teaching schedule, that's saying something. Church was delightful chaos with kid-wrangling for the cherub choir, being on standby to sub for a handbell kid who arrived late, and singing a big ol' duet at the offertory. (Oh, yeah, there was some a-preachin' and a-prayin' in there too, but I got to sit still during that.) Wink Then lunch with the godsons and their parents, a surprise treat after dinner with them last evening. Visited my kayak buddy - winds steady at 30 knots, so no paddling today - before hitting the ultra-crowded boardwalk for 5 miles. Pretty miserable run, except for fun with two speedy intervals, which I saved for the less-crowded sections of the 'walk. My shoulders felt OK, but my feet were killing me almost the whole time. Just when I figured out how to tie the new-ish shoes so they're comfy, along came warmer temps and my feet are swelling more than when it's cooler. Roll eyes Yep, still learning how to tie my shoes . . . Holly - 20 yesterday and 10 today? You're amazing. nono - What's slide boarding? Maybe I'm wanting summer to get here even faster, but it makes me think of something a surfer would do in the off-season? WRFB - too funny thinking about pretending you were still running last week's marathon. Erika - interesting observation about no doc telling you "no sitting." One of those things that makes you go, "Hmmm?" Peter - awesome photo yesterday; congrats to the grad. Have a good week, everyone! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

Happy Moms Day to all! And since my DH is sort of a stay at home dad, I celebrate this day with him as we both equally carry our share of responsbilities that traditionally fall on the mom. We had a wonderful day. Church in the a.m, then went on a hike with my parents, had my MIL over for dinner, I planted some more in my garden, but I never did get in my run like I wanted to. Maybe if I would have downed about 3 gels before heading out I would have had the energy to go. Oh well, one skipped run won't sabotage me and I wanted to just be around my family today.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

I totally agree less is better on runs if preparing for a long distance like a Marathon. But on my 23 miler Sat with 18 at MP...I had to hydrate and fuel right or I would have crashed and burned (it was like a real race to me) Normally on my long runs I don't really take anything with me...then I am crawling home just hardly making it. Sat, I took gels and S Caps and I felt good during all my MP miles...could have ran more. I have a fuel belt too with 4 bottles, and it does NOT flop around at all. BTW, 7 miles today to make another 30 mile weekend...felt sooo very great. Time to kick it up "another notch" TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

I hope all the mothers here had a great day, you deserve it! Bill - Nice running, especially in the heat. I think you, Tall, and I are on similar schedules. twocat - ILRD? I didn't know, but happy to celebrate :-) Tim - great weekend of running there! I did my final long run before the Vermont marathon in two weeks. 20 miles @ 7:22 pace. I wanted to do the last few at marathon pace, but the 30mph wind had other plans. Fair enough as it was helping earlier in the run. Instead I did make a detour to go up a 'fun' hill with one to go (250vert ft, finishing at 10% grade., always humbles) My legs feel great afterwards, so I think they're up to the challenge. Btw, for long runs I usually carry two bottles of water in my bladder-less camelback. I figure I have the water if I need it and a little extra weight works. I also carry a powerbar or gels. I'll eat to avoid a deathmarch, but otherwise I'll focus on the running.
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter