Masters Running

Friday, March 5, Spring is Almost Here Runs (Read 516 times)

30-40 mins of upper body and back exercises.  I need to go see my MAT person again.  Hoping he can get me in late this afternoon or early next week.  I may ask if he can just surgically remove the sciatic.  Think that's possible?

Happy Friday!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Bruce, I wasn't feeling well last week and I went to the doctor about it. He said, "Take off all your clothes and go over to the window and stick out your tongue."  I did as he told me and asked him if that would make me feel better.  He said, "No, but I'm mad at my neighbor."

Listen to Perch on that taper business. He knows it better than anyone.  There are no fixed rules of "three weeks" or "two weeks" for taper.  You really have to look at the whole cycle to figure it out.

Prime Rib sent me this youtube, which I immediately sent on to Arf.  Remember when I didn't like dogs?  Now I go ape for things like this.  Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCRZzhbHH0

Spareribs

TammyinGP

That video Rocks!  I love it! Found myself smiling through the entire thing. Whoever created that is a genius.

Tammy

Listen to Perch on that taper business. He knows it better than anyone.  There are no fixed rules of "three weeks" or "two weeks" for taper.  You really have to look at the whole cycle to figure it out.

I will. Good advice. I don't think I'll need much taper since I'm getting so much rest now. I'm not really going to be beaten up by 4/19. If I can get my volume back up over the next 3 weeks and run a good 21 miler on the course March 27th, I'll think about what to do in April.

Thanks to all for the well wishes with the cold. I guess i just get frustrated - like, why couldn't the cold have hit me when I couldn't run? . But I'll get through it. Coming here is very therapeutic.

Speaking of cool videos. some of you have likely already seen this but I just saw it today. Just awesomely funny. But watch the volume if you're at work.

An inside look at a running club's BOD meeting.

Renee the dog

If you have a short or interupted cycle, you don't need as much Taper.

Words I needed to read today. Thank you!

Today Renee and I got out for 4 mi this morning, and then I walked 2 mi on the treadmill at lunchtime.  Today was supposed to be 21 mi, but that got pushed to tomorrow due to our car being worked on for an extra day and the dealer being oh, 40 mi away... but the temps are supposed to be about 10 ºF warmer tomorrow in the morning, with the same wind speed, which should make for some comfortable running.

I've downloaded The Canterbury Tales to take with me tomorrow.  I'm not much for music on my runs, but I am getting into listening to audiobooks, as it is the only time I get to listen to non-kid stuff!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hey kids

Nono, I am having pre-exam jitters after reading your post----remembering my Chaucer final in college reciting passages from the Canterbury Tales in Old English/Middle English for the feared and revered Vernon Harwood (say that last name with lock jaw and imagine a white haired and tweed clad professor). One of the best courses I took, but oh man....sweating bullets! "Whan in April droughte".....good on you for listening to that while running. I'll stick with Mary J. Blige. :-)

10 miles at 5:30 am 1:19 overall---middle 6 at hard pace---43:17

I like a shorter taper---sharpening period rather. Reduce volume and maintain intensity.

Great videos.

50º temps this weekend!

dg.

Hi Karin!   Nice run.

Bruce, Smile

Ribs, Smile

One of those dogs looked a little like Tag!

SteveP, maybe they wanted you to make something there.   A do-it-yourself destination.

Sue, thanks.  I will do that. :-)    You have some amazing workouts.   enjoy your well deserved treat.

Remember my problem with Sadie's ears getting into her food?  and that I thought she needed a snood (though I didn't know quite what that was)...  look at this!  (you dont' really  have to look at it).  http://www.thesnoodfactory.com/ I couldn't believe there was such a thing.    I didn't order one... my sugoi neck warmer is working very well.   One of these I'll post a picture. 

I think spring fever explains the happy run reports by Mariposai, perchcreek, and BCMorant.  Here the weather went from 25 with snow every other day to sunny and 45!  It has been GREAT!

Party at Holly's!  Everybody show up at 6!  She is serving dinner, drinks . . .   Band?  Did you remember to hire a band?  We are not going to show up unless there is a band.  

PBJ have fun with the new TV.  So how big is the new screen?

dg.  hmm, not sure what you thought the nurse would say.    Not liking the "if it hurts stop part," well that I understand!

Spareribs now I am going to have nightmares of old naked guys at my window . . . shudder . . .

My DW got a funny note from her friend from the jogging club she runs with on Saturdays.  Her friend pointed out the schedule calls for 10 miles but if my DW felt that was too big a jump from last week's 7 they could go on a shorter route.  You would have thought she was offered a million dollars!  You had to be there to see her reaction but it was pretty funny.

Muffin report:  I bought a pineapple to see how it would go in muffins.  DW is pretty skeptical.  I think I am going to combine it with dates.  The contrasting flavors should, I think, work out really well.  Either that or I will find myself with about a dozen muffins nobody wants!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Cute video Ribs, and I'm not even a dog person (guess fluffy that bit me knew that).

EGH - unfortunately your video was all choppy.

DD was all perky today so we negotiated and I sent her back to school for the last two hours.  Which gave me lots of time to do a little 2 mile run, in the sunshine, 54F, nice.

Twocat, I'll meet you at Holly's.  We'll see who else shows up.

I think you could do pineapple and carrots, like a carrot cake muffin, hide cream cheese in the middle and voila, a 1000 calorie snack!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

Hey All

Just a few minutes before I'm off again. Just back from a moderatly hard 4 mile run.....just a quicki......hoping to get a good solid 8 in tomorrow.

Snow is melting fast ! 

In and out.....I'd love to stay and chat but duties call.

Keep running !!!!

dg.

Enke, I'm glad you got a run in & that DD is feeling better.   yummy sounding 'snack.'

Twocat... I'm not sure what I expected either!  Maybe just some general guidelines (10 miles & under.  things like that)... independant of pain. Because that's something we're used to!  As I've said, I've had this for at least 4 years.  It hurts sometimes. Oh well.  & you're funny.

Muffins...   there was a place around here a while ago that made pineapple macadamia nut muffins.  They were really good.  Probably too much fat, etc.   There are a few recipes for them online but I don't know how close they are to what I used to make a special trip for. (that, & the Hawaiian coffee).   I might have it around here someplace. 

mta.   Hi Slo_hand!

Nono.... good luck tomorrow!!!  It's your turn.

Mariposai

Just lovely link Ribs! I sure needed to see this to erase my dislike for dogs after my experience with the "nutty dog"

Still no words about rabies because the real owners are out of town. uggg. By the time they come back,I could be dead!

Enkie and twocat, see ya at Holly's. Holly, should we bring a sleeping bag or are we planning to eat, drink and dance all night long??

Twocat, if they don't want to eat the muffins, just mail them to me! Good luck to your DW on her semilong run. You know eventually she will have to run her 10 miler, but not just yet.

The weekend is here, the weekend is here. Hurray!

Off to the movie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

DG, DW and I thought one dog looked a little familiar too. Maybe they'r related. Tag was wondering if there were rainsnoods with Batsignals. He's picky you know.

MTA: How-to-Attract-Butterflies-to-Your-Garden

SteveP