Masters Running

Friday, May 23rd Daily......kicking off the weekend (Read 425 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Interesting that most of you indicated that the crib was your first memory. Mine also, but not a pleasant memory. I remember being awakened in the middle of the night. I was a bedwetter, and my Dad was standing over my crib threatening to hook up an electric cord to the bed so I would be shocked when I had an accident. They wondered why I began stuttering as a child......
    OMG, Sue, that's horrible! My son was a bedwetter, occasionally having "accidents" up until he was 8 or 9. This apparently runs in DH's family, and DH was a bedwetter as a child, as well as his sister's son. I NEVER made a big deal about it (and neither did DH), just calmly assured DS it was nothing to worry about and changed the sheets. He had a plastic sheet underneath, so it never was a problem to clean up. The pediatrician said he would grow out of it, and he did. I cannot think of a worse way to deal with it than the way your father did. Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yikes, this is such a busy group, and like the White Rabbitt, I am running late again. Mariposai, the flowers are gorgous, thanks so much. I loved them. SueT48, I would love to meet you--look for me at packet pick-up Saturday, I'm staying in the host hotel. Ask for me or leave a message? If only to chat a bit--I do understand everyone has their own way of being the day before a marathon, so I'll not intrude or take up too much time, promise. I'm not coming back until Monday, so I'm hoping to be able to enjoy the day after we finish SUnday, too. I'll be in a red cap and maniac yellow Cool. twocat--COngrats, and tell as soon as you can. I just checked the MacArthur Foundation website, but they announced their creative institutions awards April 10th, so it's not that. Shoot, I'm anxious to hear! Sox have won 7 in a row Big grin Have good long weekends, all. BTW, anyone else have memories of Memorial Day being called Decoration Day? That is how my mom always referred to it, as in decorating the graves of people one cared for in life. grins, A ps: did you see the winner of the Brookings Marathon last week was disqualified--he inadvertently took a wrong turn that resulted in him running a bit short. The RD said it was his fault as there was not a voulnteer there, I believe. Yig, one of my nightmares, being directionally challenged. I've run that course 2x and it does have a lot of turns.
      Masters 2000 miles
        Aamos alas it is not a Noble prize either. Smile lol tselbs good luck to your DD in her marathon. Enjoy the day as race support. Finished a 22 mile run this morning. It felt good to know I am in good enough shape to do one again. Now, of course, I am NOT going to do another until sometime in the fall when I train for the NYC marathon. Good runs all I am off to the airport soon. Vista I plan to use the time difference between here and Dublin to beat you the punch for starting the daily! Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My oldest son was almost 13 before he stopped bedwetting. I finally took him to a urologist, but nothing was wrong. He said that about 15% of kids stop every year, so my son was just one of the last. My 10-year-old daughter has the same issue still! My middle son stopped overnight, literally, after he got his tonsils out at 6(he had sleep apnea - snored like a tornado!). One of my first crib memories is of knocking my sister's over while she was in it! She wasn't hurt, but I remember getting in a lot of trouble. I'm taking it a little easy after my long run Wednesday, so yesterday I ran 4 miles and today 4.5. My legs felt heavy today, but I'm not sore anywhere. I do have a nasty blister on the side of my foot. Blech! Memorial Day weekend is one of my favorites. After a long winter in Maine, we can take a deep breath and say, "Yes! Four months of beautiful weather to come!" After our run this morning in perfect 55-degree weather, my running partner and I bought muffins and coffee at a tiny bakery and sat on some stone steps in downtown Yarmouth, a post-card New England village. We basked in the sun, looked at the flowers coming up, and watched people. Our running coach from last year happened to drive by and gave us a big wave - we told her we'd EARNED our muffins! We were right across the street from a church that has taken its huge steeple down for repair. It's funny to see a steeple on the ground like that! They are trying to raise the money to get it fixed - the sign said it had been in place since 1861. So I'm in a great mood, and even better, I'm going for a massage this afternoon! The massage therapist is a runner who knew Jack Daniels in grad school, so he will do a good job on me. Have a WONDERFUL holiday, everyone!
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy memorial day weekend to all. I'm fighting some sort of crud that's taken over the entire family. Coughing, mucus, the whole 9 yards. But Friday is run day, so I dutifully got up at 5:30 and got in about a mile and a half. I've always thought that I could sweat out something with a little exercise. Not sure if that has any scientific reality, but I didn't cough the whole time and I feel better, now at work. Sure felt wiped out doing it, though, hence the short distance. after work, off to Maine to open the summer cabin. I'll wave at Teresa as I go by. BTW, in the fall, there are always a bunch of people on the highway overpasses waving goodbye to all the tourist. Wonder why I never see any this weekend? Confused Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Mariposai, those are beautiful. thank you. are those columbine's? We don't grow them like that around here! Perch, phew! Sue, that's just awful. I'm so sorry. I can't remember my first memory. To much going on at work today to really catch up. I did want to say thanks for all the nice comments about my dad's picture. studmuffin. cracked me up. I just talked to him, he just went & had a bunch of tests done on his shins because he's in a lot of pain & it hurts to walk. I hope it's ok. Anyway. he got such a huge kick out of what you said. smiled & laughed. (his voice smiled). he'll probably smile all day. He told me that (this is if I have the right picture, not sure) that he was 58 when it was taken. Either way, when he was 58, his group won the national championship. track this morning, switched directions again. first time with 2 days in a row & I think it's not a problem. Big grin. I think the run was 3.67 miles, 11:05 ave. pace, 7:39 max which I don't remember doing. ahr 169, max 182. so a little better. then stretching, & SS side planks. I wonder how SS is? Erika, woohoo about your Garmin. I could lose something like that w/out even trying. tselbs, good luck to DD & have lots of fun. Amy, I remember Decoration day. somebody make me stop typing! kevin & tall, get better.
              evanflein

Happy Friday before Memorial Day everyone! I've got the day off to just get stuff done, but I'm taking it easy. Might head to the gym for some weights later, but maybe not. DS1 has an interview at 11 that I'll take him to. That's the only thing on my schedule with a set time. Ahhh, I love it. Was thinking of a nice trail run later too, but I also want to get to the nursery for some bedding plants and start on the garage... or the house, lots to do there... Aaaahhh! I need at least 4 days to just get started! Sue, all I can say is parenting has come a long way... It is amazing some of the techniques and approaches that were used in the past. Not to say they've all been abandoned, but for the most part I think we've made tremendous advances. I have lots of memories from childhood, but can't tell you which are the earliest and which might be "planted" or whatever the term is for those stories you hear so often they become ingrained. Hope Tall and Kevin are feeling better soon. Byll... what can you say, some people get by on sheer grit and determination. He might be ok, or he might be one of those "I did a marathon once, boy that was stupid!" Mariposai, wonderful flowers! My lilies are just poking out of the ground and the rhubarb is getting bushy. Everything needs water though... Have a great day everyone!
                Mariposai

Dg, yes those flowers are columbine, one of my faves. The iris are very showy this year. I hope to do some more dirt playing this weekend. I started out my 4 day weekend by going to run the Sun Run 5k at the local Indian boarding school. This is an out and back course (or I should say down and up course Dead). I covered the distance in 26:32. A course PR of 2:10 and First Place for my age group. Cool. Now I am ready to party.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Good afternoon Masters. I'm working a full day prior to the three day weekend . . . or maybe I should say "I'm at work" as I'm not really working that hard. Took a 1.5 hr lunch break at the gym and ran 4 miles on the TM with the last mile being a 4% incline hill. Then did about 21 min on the elliptical. I think I'll do a few more things though before heading out for the weekend. Last weekend was soaring in the low 100's and this weekend is drizzly, cold and well . . . it's memorial weekend . . . so I guess the carpy weather is to be expected. A very heartfelt appreciation and my utmost respect to anyone here who has previously served in any branch of military and also to you parents who may have children serving in the military - please pass along my best wishes for safety and admiration for the sacrifice they are making. Enjoy the long Memorial Weekend Masters.

Tammy

I took today "off" from work, which of course meant that I was so busy that this is my first chance to browse & post. But I got a lot of chores done in hopes of freeing up time on the weekend when the weather is going to (supposed to?) improve. Ran 5 easy rail-trail miles this morning. Still awfully cold for late May, but warmer days are coming. Good luck to the many weekend racers. We'll be looking for lots of RRs shortly.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Friday! Mari, your flowers look gorgeous! Can't wait for spring to come to the high country. I saw a few aspen trees starting to get green on my run today, but the trees at my house are still thinking "oh, no, not yet. It just snowed last night. I'll just wait a week or two..." Cool I ran 3 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug, then dropped them at home and ran another 7 miles. Didn't feel so good on the first 3, but much better on the last 7. It was overcast, 50 degrees, and there was some small hail for part of the run. Really small - like a millimeter diameter, so it didn't bother me. It even looked kind of pretty. Happy Memorial Day weekend! I'll second Tammy's heartfelt thanks to those in the military or with family members in the military. We owe you a lot.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

after work, off to Maine to open the summer cabin. I'll wave at Teresa as I go by. BTW, in the fall, there are always a bunch of people on the highway overpasses waving goodbye to all the tourist. Wonder why I never see any this weekend? Confused Kevin
                          Uh, I'd better not say anything - don't want to insult our visitors! Wink Every year, it takes me by surprise when I see the sudden increase in highway traffic, before I remember it's tourist season! I hope you continue to feel better! The weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend.

GreenMan

Hey good people, have a nice long weekend 24 miles on the bike. jjj
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              6.45 miles in today despite my schedule. I am very pleased with this.
                              Vista