Masters Running

Can I do my first marathon by Dec.? (Read 171 times)

Hi everyone,

While I've been trying to keep up w/ everyone via lurking, I've not been a good on line participant, so forgive me for taking time to ask for advice. 

Here are the facts:  The Rocket City Marathon is first Sat. in Dec.  I'm 60 w/ no marathons under my belt, although I've done 6 half marathons. It's a relatively flat course.  I'm currently running 20+ mpw w/ one long Sat. run, but I'm only up to 8.3 on that. I did 5.3 this morning and feel fine. 

In addition to running 5 days a week, I also do Zumba, yoga, and swim 2 miles per week.  I am in pretty good shape. Just not sure if I can ramp up the mileage enough by the end of Nov. to do this.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Helen

#artbydmcbride

Will you have friends or a group to train with?   If you can get someone to do the long runs with  (the really long ones; 18 - 20milers) then you can do it!  I know you can do it!  Smile

Runners run

Queen of 3rd Place

OK, let's see, you have 14 weeks. Say you do a 2 - 3 week taper, so you have 11 - 12 weeks to ramp up. You're at 8 mi long, but have a good base with all those halfs and have been running consistently at least two years.

I say YES!!  For example, you could pick up on week 5 of Hal Higdon's beginner program, here   ..and I'm sure there are other, similar programs. But you'd better get on it!

You might need to back off on your other activities when you get into those really long runs, but I sort of doubt it with your background.

Arla

Ex runner

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good luck fussalina. If you can run 10K at whatever pace without stopping,
          you can run a marathon right now if you’re willing to slow pace down by 3-4min/mile.

Otherwise, don't get discouraged by 18 mile training runs. It's somehow not as bad in the event itself

(as if I've ever done an 18 mile training run, . . .  ) 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks Ilene, Arla and Jon.  Your comments are inspirational. Yes, I do have two other

crazy ladies who I run with during the week, but am not up to their 15 + runs on Saturdays

just yet.  Guess I need to take the plunge.  Will look up Hal's program and, let's see, what

else can I do to procrastinate???

Fusselina (I like that better than fussyrunner)