Masters Running

Lewis and Clark Marathon - canceled after 10 miles (Read 246 times)

TomD

After running 265 marathons in the past 22 years I had my first marathon canceled. I am very disappointed. The start was delayed by nearly 45 minutes, because the police were late getting out. So we stood in the worst rain storm one could imagation. The wind gusts must of been near 60 mph. It was pouring rain. It was this way at 5:00am, when Donna and I got up and until around 8:30am. At that time the wind stopped all of a sudden and the rain lessen. It continued to until about 11:30, when it stopped completely. The race director stopped everyone at 10 miles, because the trail of the second half for the marathon was flooded. Why the half was not continued is unknown. My feelings why start the marathon at all. The worst of the storm was over by 8:30 and we were let to run and to believe the race would continue as the weather got better and it did just that. There was all week to put on an alternate course in case of the Katy Trail flooring, which should be expected. I have run in much worst in the past in both marathons and one 50-miler. Other courses had been floored and alternate courses were provided too. This could of been one could to talk about, but in the end the worst part was weathered then the race director canceled, because of poor planning on his part. I will not waste my time or money again on this one. Next is the Omaha Marathon were I have ran many times and some very bad weather before. TomD
      I'm sorry to hear the marathon was cancelled rather than having an alternate plan. It's got to be disappointing to spend the money, take the time, and make the effort for nothing. You'll get them at Omaha. TomS
        what a bummer -- are they providing any type of compensation for the people who paid and showed up?? maybe free entry next year for those who want to attempt it again.

denise

Renee the dog

TomD, Man what a disappointment! You'd figure those who showed up were willing to race in the conditions...and at least give you all a 1/2...maybe announce at 10 that you are only going 13.1 or something??!! That does stink!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

It's hard to imagine the frustration! Hopefully there were not too many first time marathoners out there.

SteveP

How very frustrating after all the preparation and planning. It seems so odd the way they handled it. Good Luck with the next one! CNYrunner
                Bummer. Well I guess your now looking forward to Omaha. When is it?
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Here is what one of my local friends posted on our club website: The race started late leaving thousands of runners exposed to the severe winds and pouring rain for a long time. Finally the race started though I still don't know how people at the very front knew it was okay to start. For the first 1/2 mile we ran past car after car filled with runners who never made it to the starting line. I never fully grasped what the traffic jam was from although the parking lot was flooded. We drove through 3 or 4' feet of water and stepped out of the car into about 6" of water. The wind gusts were incredibly strong -up to 60 MPH (Ray claims to have almost been blown into the Missouri River) and the constant rain hitting your face hurt (imagine glass being flung at your face) yet the camaraderie on the course was great. Runners were in good spirits and chatting more than usual. Much to my surprise the aid stations were well manned and there were even more than a few spectators out cheering. Then the unthinkable happened; runners started running towards us yelling the race is over- you're coming to the finish. The race was canceled. At or near mile 10 (all the mile markers after six had blown over) the course was blocked and everyone was forced to stop running. We heard the rest of the course was flooded. I obviously don't know all that the RD did but canceling the race just didn't seem like the right thing to do. It was a terribly disappointing experience. Then while we cleaned up and showered the weather cleared up and we were back at DFW by 2:00 PM. Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Here is a thread about what the race director was thinking: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/44bb1c14369742a18ce8f7008641422b

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ilene, thanks for posting that link. It was a very difficult situation for him.

King of PhotoShop

And here is the official apology and explanation. Sounds like the RDs made the right call. We cannot control the weather. http://www.fleetfeetstl.com/lewisandclarkmarathon/ Spareribs
                          Tom, It so sucks being there ready to run, wanting to run, prepared to run but cant run. Frustrating, isnt it. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

evanflein

Those video clips are amazing... waves of water in the parking lot!! I'm sure there were many first-time marathoners there ready to give it their all. Apparently, though... so was Ike. Sorry to hear about the cancellation TomD, but after all those marathons you've done, it's amazing this is the first one? On to the next...
                            TomD

evryday, Omaha is September 28th. TomD