Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.20.13 (Read 51 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations to all the racers, this weekend!  You did great!

Congratulations, Deez!!!!

Jay should be well done with his HM by now, so I hope he had a good time.

Tselbs - Sounds like a wonderful time with a lot of good memories being kicked about.

Holly - What a wonderful pic of your DD. She looks so happy!! Smile

And re NOT getting lost on the trails.  I use a lot of visual marks, and if I'm uncertain about certain turns, I'll mark them somehow.  One of the things you might try is getting some of the plastic ribbons like they use in trail races and mark the trails as you and pick up the ribbons on the return.  Obviously, the more you're out there, the more you'll get to know your trails.

I'm suppose to run 6 today, but it's not looking good.  I have a turkey in the oven, and I'm still tired from yesterday.  Boy, are my biceps sore today!!!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Way to go Denise!!! awesome! You too runr_nut, Tramps, Jay (I am sure you did great) and Milk Truck, and all who raced!

I had a blast at the Mt. Toby trail race today. 14 miles and while somewhat technical, I managed to stay upright and won a headlamp for being 2nd masters woman (5th woman overall). Seven miles up to a fire tower and then back down. Back down was harder as I tried to do my best billy goat imitation on all the slippery rocks. The kiddo volunteered at the race and was able to accumulate 4 hours of Honor Society volunteer time (he needs 25 hours for this first semester). All good and a Spectacular fall weekend here in Western MA. I added 6 road miles to the fun for 20 miles on the day.

Sounds like there was lots of happiness for you and family Tselbs.

C-R---my heart goes out to you and yours with the dementia issues. Super-granny has descended into dementia and it's pretty acute now. My MIL's dementia as a result of Alzheimers is also progressing more dramatically these days. We've been meeting with a counselor as a family and we've certainly learned a whole lot. Just showing love and patience means a lot---and even when your loved ones no longer know your name or their relationship to you.

Loved that photo of David the other day Tammy....what fun for all of you and what talent! We are down to the last few races for the kiddo in HS. Goes so fast.

What a super smile on your DD's face Holly. Thanks for sharing that.

MTA: Hi Fatozzig!

I have had an amazing day until just a little while ago standing in line at a local ice cream place where there is a Boston Strong sign across the street.  This teenage girl standing with her boy friend said "Boston Strong, I am so sick of all this Boston Strong crap!"  Mind you - I was standing there in my Boston Marathon jacket!!  I just looked at her trying not to cry and said "Seriously, maybe you wouldn't feel like that had you been running it or if you had friends who helped the victims who died and who lost limbs."  I couldn't speak anymore - wish I could have added or had family standing across from the bombs waiting for you to finish,but I just tried not to cry.   Her boyfriend said something to her like "really!" and my son Justin who was with me had walked away just before and didn't hear any of it.  Another man asked me what she said after she walked away and he said - maybe more people need to spend a little time at Spaulding Rehab.  I wasn't mean to her but am glad I said something - hopefully it will make her think a little more before she speaks and maybe seeing my reaction of sadness/distress not anger will help her to have more compassion going forward in life.

denise

MM #7877

Columbus marathon in 3:45.06

thats a personal best.

Philippians 4:13.

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice.
              C-R

Busy day today with some running and lots of soccer. Beautiful Midwest fall day. It really makes me appreciate how nice those are.

I took my boys and one fo their friends to the ND-USC game. Lots of fun. We met Mike Golic. I played in a golf chipping game and helped raise $1k for breast cancer support (almost had a hole in one). We ate bad stadium food. Got wet. Got cold. Got home after 2am. Priceless.

Thanks Tom and Karin. It's a challenge but I look for those moments of connection. They are there but too few for my likes. The hardest part is helping the kids with their grandma. They understand but I wish they could know her the way I do. Sorry for blathering on about this but it is nice to have a place where I can type about this. Thanks to all you self-centered and non-inclusive meanies. Wink It means much to know there is more than just running in these neighborhoods.

Time to focus on the Colts and Denver.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

lots of sweets this weekend, including Deezie's second one just as much, if not more, sweet and meaningful as a PR.  However, it's not that easy, or safe, to eye-contact with insensitivies who may get triggered to over-react.  Be careful.  You're a great mom and citizen.  Pretty good runner too.

C-R: Taking your kids seems a good way to be able talk about those days with their full attention. Maybe even take some photos to tell them even more about her.  You're a great dad.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

thats a personal best.

Congratulations!!!

Also a huge congrats to Deez4boys for a fantastic HM!!!

Congrats to all the other racers as well. I am too tired to comment on each one.

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to Seattle and Portland. While in Seattle on Friday we met up for dinner with the taperboy aka tetsujin. I will post pictures of our get together tomorrow when I have more time. In Portland, OR we attended a nephew's wedding. A lovely event and a great opportunity to see family members.

This morning I got up up at 5am for an 11 miler before the hang woke up. It was too dark to go out at 5 sans headlamp, so I ran the first 6 miles on the TM at the hotel gym then I went out for an additional 5 miler. The fog made this run mystical. What a pleasure!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Denise, I'm so sorry you had to hear that insensitive comment, and while I think you did the right thing to stand up and respond, I do think it's a case of just being too young and naive to fully understand. Maybe she'll get it later, maybe she won't, but it's not your responsibility to try to make her. Still, I'm sorry you had to go through that. But, on another note, what an awesome kick-ass half marathon you had! Way to go!

Holly, our church also baptizes as infants, and when an adult gets baptized it's a "finger trace" method, not full dunk. Interesting that your (her?) church does it that way. Quite the braid she has...

Spareribs, I think any half in the 1:30's is more than a pretty good effort, especially for a masters runner. Well, then there's MikeE and CNYrunner, but still. A half in the 1:30's is awesome and most of us won't ever see it. Congrats, runr nut!

C-R, more hugs and good wishes for you and your family for what you're going through with your mother. You too, tselbs. That's just so tough. My grandmother was almost 102 when she died and while she was mostly in pretty good shape, she did have her moments of totally not understanding who I was, where she was, and what happened to her husband. But mostly, it seemed she was on the fringe of pretty good for her age. For that, I'm really grateful. I wasn't there when she wanted my mom to promise not to bring "that boy" (my aunt) around again, and make sure they didn't try to make her leave this nice place (the nursing home she didn't want to go to at first). Those times were hard on my mom (and her sister), but when I saw her for her 101st birthday, she was remarkably lucid.

So my run yesterday was pretty good, for the most part, but I kept thinking "this would be Wildchild's version of running hell!" I ran 11.1 miles around the McCarron Airport, from the Mandalay Bay Hotel. Mostly on sidewalks, sometimes on gravel and broken asphalt, always with incredible traffic that was at times way too close for comfort. But sometimes the sidewalk was wide, and sometimes it curved around some brush and greenery, and it was oh-so-cool to stop and have a plane go right over me on its way to land... felt like I could reach up and touch it! The temps were nice in the upper 70's and I was happy to get in what I'd have to call my long run for the week, before dinner and after a full day of class.

Full day today, too, but we got out a bit early at 3 so I went out again at 80° and full late-day sun, just down the Las Vegas Blvd ("the Strip") but to the South away from town. Again, always the "iffy" sidewalks and the constant traffic, but I got in 6.3 miles before racing to get to the opening keynote speaker at 5 p.m.  So this week is 36.5 miles... my first sub-40 mile week since early May. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, I think you're right, running around the Vegas airport at 70+ degrees, in heavy  traffic, would be running hell!  Glad you made the best of it.  As for me, I had my first run of the season in screw shoes, with my favorite furry running buds.

Norm, your post about all the self-centered and non-inclusive meanies here made me think, once again, what an awesome community we have here.  I'm happy to be a small part of it, You guys are the best.  Oh, and there was some good racing today, too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran my first ever half yesterday in Cincinnati and was pretty happy with it, a 1:39:09 for a

second in AG and 60th OA.

Nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a quick fly-by post because I am sooooooooo excited I can't contain myself!!!  Ran Baystate 1/2 marathon this morning in 1:51 - that's over an 8 minute PR for me!!!   SOOOOOO PUMPED!!Big grinCool

Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

thats a personal best.

Great job!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps and CNYrunner - great racing to you two as well!

15 miles for me on Sunday.