Masters Running

Sunday 10/7 -- Marathon Sunday! (Read 44 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I did not check the cutoff. It is what Mariposai told me it was.

No, I believe you, I just think it is bizarre....

Hermosaboy - bummer!

YAY for Nancy and her friend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I did not check the cutoff. It is what Mariposai told me it was.

Not that I memorize everything all the goddesses say

but it seems it was Mariposai's ridiculous goal time

for her first time marathon friend.

Felicidades!

Omedetou!

Sugoi!

However, I never heard anyone

but me say they "enjoy" the rain.

I think my friend Heidi and I are ready for our Victory Lap in Victoria Smile. We anticipate about 5:30 to 6 hours finish time. It will be raining, which I enjoy because it keeps your mind occupied from the discomfort of the pain.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

I love watching and tracking marathons! The local coverage of Chicago wasn’t too bad. I watched the start go off, then later ran 1:15:00 on my home treadmill and watched the winners and other coverage. It didn’t look like a great day to be spectating, but not too bad for running. Mo Farah made it look so easy- and he stopped and pet/took a pic with my friends golden retriever yesterday, so that makes him ok to me ☺️

I actually WAS spectating at Chicago this morning!!   Spent nearly 3 hours downtown, could easily walk from the mile 1 marker to the mile 3 marker and on to the mile 13 marker.   Soooooooo fascinating to watch this event from the sidewalks.   I've run it three times, enjoy the race (if not the logistics to get to and from the start line), so when my great-nephew set his wedding day the day before Chicago and got a block of deeply discounted hotel rooms at a nice hotel on State Street (mile 1), I quickly planned the unique opportunity.

I was out the door of the hotel at 6:30am, a full hour before the gun.   I walked down State street, in front of the iconic Chicago Theatre, talked with folks setting up the HUGE first water stop, the folks doing music, and even saw a marathoning buddy of mine.   I was very surprised to see, even as late as 7:15am, runners with bibs on walking towards Grant Park.   Yikes, you guys are going to be late.

On schedule, after the wheel chair racer rolled by to huge applause, the lead running pack flew by, about 40 people.   I then walked about 4 blocks to the three mile mark and the lead back had dropped to about 20 people and they opened a 300m gap on the next pack.   Just amazing the speed of those leaders.

The female leaders showed up shortly thereafter at the 3 mile mark, very, very quick.    And then the regular fast people ran by, more and more and more of them.   The scope was just amazing.     And on and on the runners came, ever so gradually the pace getting slower and slower.   And the struggle and joy and effort of every runner was striking.

I tried to shout out the name of anyone who had his/her name on the shirt.   I also tried to acknowledge international runners; I've noticed each time I ran Chicago the vast number of people from so many countries who come to Chicago.

I did get a brief sighting of Joan Samuelson, the famous Olympic Champion, now age 61.   I saw her bib with her name, smiled and yelled out her name and got a smile back from her.   Here is her interview after the race.    That was a treat to see one of running's really great people.

So much I could say...but really enjoyed the time watching the race.   Got a totally new appreciation for the scope of the event.

Rock on, folks,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Dave59; my experience with KT tape is that it isn't an instant fix, but a tool to give support and keep things aligned while still allowing movement. Which regular "coach's tape" doesn't do; that's more like a slightly flexible cast. I'm very skeptical about the claims of KT tape promoting "healing" by stimulating body fluids in the area. The practice of sticking a piece of it on a spot that hurts makes no sense. But, it seems to help my achilles get better faster when I strain it, probably by limiting range of motion so I don't injure it further while walking around.

The first time I used it, I was expecting instant results, which didn't happen.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I just checked. Oddly the Victoria Half Marathon has a 6 hour time limit  But the full has a 5.5 hour limit  Go figure. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Update on Hermosaboy: he posted on another forum that he dropped around 17 miles maybe because of shoe issues doing something to his legs.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave59; my experience with KT tape is that it isn't an instant fix, but a tool to give support and keep things aligned while still allowing movement.

That's about how I feel about it too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."