Masters Running

Boston Bound Boomers - where do your spouses go while you race? (Read 271 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

My DH wants to know where HE should be while I'm racing. Truthfully, I think he'd rather just wait at the hotel for me to return.... Smile Where are the other spouses/family members going to be during the race?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, Evan had that question too, so she asked da DH to respond. I think the most supportive spouses will be sipping suds in the Black Rose next to the Freedom trail. America's oldest pubSmile
      evanflein

[Hmmm, Evan doesn't think that was particularly helpful. Reminds self to think twice b4 asking DH to respond...] Holly, mine usually is support-crew extraordinaire... meeting me at several places during the run for aide stops, drinks, gu, s-caps, kisses, whatever. This time that isn't going to work, so he's still thinking of what to do. (and a pub might not be out of the question, he has gone for breakfast and such before) He might look into renting a bicycle... Any experienced Boston'ers have ideas on that? (he saw it as a hint for Boston race-supporters on the web somewhere.
          My DW tries to figure out where she can go to meet me the greatest number of times and carries with her supplies for me to pick up. If the Boston route only allows for one mid-race meet she will go to a spot where I suspect supplies will be particularly useful. In Boston my guess is that would be around or just after the 14 mile mark. By then I would probably be out of the supplies I started with. How important all this is depends on what you like to use for mid-race refueling. I use Gu, Shotblocks and Enlyten and only use the aid stops for water. But if you use the aid stops for the sports drink they have then you may not need to bring anything along or get resupplied. In that case I would recommend you have your DH go somewhere he can be comfortable and cheer you on mid-race and then head to the finish to meet you there. There is a thread in the Boston Marathon group that I started asking where friends and family can go to see their runners. You might want to check out the suggestions over there for more specifics about locations.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

very helpful replies. for now something completely different... http://dir.salon.com/story/health/feature/1999/11/24/marathon/ just a thought... Cool (i think Tramps posted this originally)
              Holly, My DW and kids will be at Fenway, but we made these plans long ago-to accomodate the kids-who are dragged to my races frequently and we thought we'd make it more 'fun' for them this time...I don't think your DH will get tickets at this point... ---------------------------------------- Our last experience at the Boston marathon was not a good one as the family waited for me for an hour-beyond my expected finish time-being seriously late and my time being horrifically slow (Boston '04 was super hot). I never made it to the family meeting area and it was a bad experience, in many ways. That is one of the reasons I'm returning this year-to erase that memory. They got a spectaculiar view from Boylston street-but this year they'll be coming from the game, so they will try to find someplace that is open. It will be packed, as usual. There are tens of thousands of people near the finish line and it is an a-w-e-some experience to take in from the street, wearing a bib, but pretty darn cool just watching too. You can't help but get caught up in the enthusiasm for the race and seeing the looks on the people's faces at the end is priceless. I've been lucky enough to be a part of the 20 mile Boomer water stop and run refreshment out to the contingent of runners as they crossed the 'aid station' manned by the Pro, hally, laT (and others like tnally) and that is a lot of fun. I'm not sure if he'd want to mix up with our crowd and that would be a hike too...but it would be an unforgettable time... Enjoy your experience and I truly hope he gets out there to see and watch the event. You will be very emotional at the end, I am sure.
              PJH

My DW usually supplies me with Gatorade at 2-3 points along the route. I carry a fuel belt so I carry my gels ... I just need to refill my Gatorade bottle. If it's awkward for my DW getting around, I may have to refill at the stations. My tentative plan is to identify a couple of mile markers that my DW can go to and where we can hopefully meet. Our hotel is right at mile 24 on the marathon route (Holiday Inn, Brookline) so I suspect that's where she'll end up ... or just stay there for the whole marathon. My plan is to walk back to the hotel depending on how I feel ...probably not a great strategy and it may change once I get there to get a feel for things. PJ

Head Procrastinator

As Dale mentioned, Pro, me,Tnally, Caddisfli, LaLaLalAT and various and other sundry folks will be at the corner of Commonwealth and Centre St in Newton Center. It's mile 20ish plenty of time to hop a T after your SO goes by and catch them at the finish. Y'all are welcome to come hang there. Bring tequilla Big grin
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Ultrachick

My SO is running as well-chasing Lance-he'll be at the finish waiting for me! (maybe he can get Lance's autograph while he's waiting! Big grin) Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Manchild

The game at Fenway!! It starts at 11:05am and allows fans to walk over to kenmore Square afterwards and watch the runners go by... That's where I'll be. Chris PS Good luck everyone!!