Masters Running

Sat Feb 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 648 times)

Early morning Saturday run for me, as we have a horde of homebrewers coming to our house for the monthly meeting of BURP (brewers united for real potables), the largest DC metro homebrew club. Still some work to get ready, but at least yesterday I cleaned out the tap lines and faucets for my beer so as not to be embarrassed. 8 easy miles with a few striders thrown in this morning in a light rain, 32F, but not overly unpleasant. Workout: 7.1 miles, 8:27/mi, AHR 144 Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:08 Good runs -- go racers!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

btb1490

Early morning Saturday run for me, as we have a horde of homebrewers coming to our house for the monthly meeting of BURP (brewers united for real potables), the largest DC metro homebrew club. Still some work to get ready, but at least yesterday I cleaned out the tap lines and faucets for my beer so as not to be embarrassed. 8 easy miles with a few striders thrown in this morning in a light rain, 32F, but not overly unpleasant. Workout: 7.1 miles, 8:27/mi, AHR 144 Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:08 Good runs -- go racers!
      ...checking frantically for a flight to MD this morning...
        WRFB - Cannot wait for taps of my own...my lady friend and I love beer. So the next house will have taps, although I doubt I will ever go back to the science that is beer making. It was a great learning process though, although I lost a fortune on a batch of doppelbock one year. My krausening fridge died during a week I was away )-: btb - Yep I am with you on a plane to MD 8 slow K this morning. Lungs are still sick and legs felt like bricks, New Mizuno perceptions fit like a glove...ahh... 2 hours with 30 minutes of hill repeats on sight for tomorrow. My lady friend is hosting a beach party tonight with a couple of hot tubs in the back yard amidst all the huge snowbanks. It should be a blast as I get to meet many of her friends. Looking forward to it. For those that might be interested. My coach is doing the Rock and Ice Ultra. Last week he ran 172K for the week, 126K pulling a weighed down sled. NUTS. Anyway this is a crazy race, here is some details for those that are crazy at heart. http://www.zone3sports.com/ and click on the Rock and Ice logo

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! WRFB - still holding out hope you'll bring a keg to Boston...hint...hint.... Wink Tall - Hot tub party in the snow? That sounds like fun! 7.15 recovery-paced miles (ave. pace 10:18) for me today in 23 degrees with a light new slick layer on the roads. Though I was treading carefully, I still managed to slip and skid down the apron of my driveway, feet shooting out from under me as I landed flat on my back. Sheesh – there’s grace for you…Smile…Thankfully, no lasting damage. Off to swim lessons, then more of the rabid housecleaning so we can take photos today to use in the listing ad. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

WRFB - still holding out hope you'll bring a keg to Boston...hint...hint.... Wink
            So WRFB overheard me tell dawndaughter1 that I was planning to buy her a piece of furniture at an antique store down here and bring it up to Boston with us. I was informed that the measurements of the keg must be taken into account before commiting anything else to the Honda Pilot. Rest assured, the keg is coming to Boston. 4 easy miles for me today in freezing drizzle. Now I've got to rush around and get the house straightened up for the horde. Not that homebrewers are a particularly discerning group (other than about beer).

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

The Jogger

Afternoon Gang Just had a look at a Honda Pilot, you should get 2 kegs in there Big grin So, did a 6 miler in the drizzle undulating as usual, must look for a flat course over 3 miles. Anyway 6m 1:04:45 10:48 pace AHR 152 72% Good Runs All Roy
                Down all week with strep throat & I think also a virus thing going on at the same time, I haven't been that sick in 15 years. Today I managed 4 miles of walk run combo on treadmill at the local gym. Roads were real rough around here this morning 5 in. snow yesterday followed by freezing rain, then 2 more in. overnite. Winter is getting worn out Up to 80 inches for the winter so far Roll eyes I'm ready for Spring...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

munchkn883

WOW I did it....made page 1!!! About 5.7 for me this morning with my TNT group. We were on the ATT and there was a little drizzle. Really enjoyable. WRFB -- Can you guys pick me up at the airport before the beer party??!! Big grin
                    Good morning Boomers. I ran with the local group training for our May marathon this morning. The halfers were scheduled to do 8 today. I ran that, then felt so good I did 2 more in 1:38:10. The temps weren't as warm as predicted (only 8F), but there was no wind, the sun was out, and I WASN'T ON THE TREADMILL!!! Sarge, sorry to hear you're under the weather. We seem to have a lot of sickies lately. Take care of yourself. Tallrunner, sounds like you've got a great evening planned. There's nothing better than a hot tub in a snowbank! WRFB and PDR, have a good time with your beer brewing buddies. I just read an article in a magazine that said beer was a good carb-loader (only 1, though) before running a half or full marathon. Holly, way to balance yourself on the ice! It's really slippery here as well so it was a tough go today. Good luck with your cleaning project. We're having a 30th birthday party for my daughter tonight. Off to make lasagne (her choice) and poppyseed cake. Have a good Saturday, everyone Jeanne
                      I guess it's been slippery out there, with falls for Wildchild, sound, and Holly. It doesn't sound like the damage was too serious. Be careful guys and gals. Sarge, it sounds like you had quite a bout with the strep. Your walk/run makes be think you're recovering. Nice long runs for dtoce, breger (with repeats), enkephalin, and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for biketm (in snowstorm). When I got up this morning, it was just above zero and so I did the TM again. I did 12 miles at 1% and 6.3 mph (9:31 pace). Now that it's 5 hours later, the temp is about 30 and the sun is out. Oh well, what's done is done and it's behind me. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                      Tramps

7.7 @ 8:38 to make up for yesterday's missed run. If I had known a keg was going to Boston, I'd have run a lot faster last year. Good grief.

Be safe. Be kind.

sounds like it's shaping up to be a greta weekend with the brew party, hot tub party, birthday party! Holly, glad you bounced back up without any damage. That ice can be trecherous treacher bad. Sarge, ease back into it. I'm just now back from a relatively minor bout of the flu...it's really been widespread around here this year. Jlynne, glad you made it out and didn't have to use the TM Tom, glad you had the TM so you could still get your run in! 12 miles on TM Shocked It's just above freezing here with drizzle/light rain. I'm gonna get out on the trails here in a bit and will post the run later this afternoon. Go Boom!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            I am glad to hear Tall mention the lady friend. Since the trip to Cuba, not only did Castro die, but I hadn't seen any mention of the lady friend and was concerned. I am sure you will feel like an exhibit when you meet her friends. Have fun. I am shuddering when I hear of people slipping and falling. Yikes, things can happen fast. I had a great run going this morning until I met Mr. Syberian Husky. With a mangy look and a frightened countenance, he froze me as I rounded the corner and saw him hovering over some sort of food on side of the road. He didn't want to leave the food and I didn't want to chance him becoming aggressive. Slloooowlly I tried to move to the other side of the narrow road, only to be rewarded at every step with an annoyed growl. The hair on his back lifted and his teeth was in full view as I eventually got to a point where distance between us was beginning to increase. After I was totally by and started running again, I turned around to see him longingly looking at me with a sad look. The run was still a good one and I am thankful for the opportunity to put in some miles today. 4.01 miles run. Good to see Mariposia back from her trip. I pray often for Munchkn....hoping you are doing okay. How big a vehicle do you all think WRFB owns? He now has about 10 of you to pick up at the airport for his BURP ing session. I bet PDR gets enlisted as a Boomer Taxi driver. Now it is out the door for an evening basketball game in North Carolina. Happy running everyone. Joey
                            Vista

King of PhotoShop

Right now Lent is in the way of my drinking beer, but I may go to Boston just to mooch off Lou and Harriet as the taps reopen March 23. What a nice gift they bring to the Boston party! Foot hurt all day yesterday and so far today. I was going to jog 3, but I may walk some instead. Here is an observation I have. Ever notice that when people get hurt they drop off the board? From the point of view of the injured person, they get tired of posting "today I am hurt and didn't do anything", or "45 minutes on the elliptical." To us, it feels like "I am not really training, so who cares that I walked 3 miles?" I get like this, so I post or don't post and kind of indifferent about the whole thing. But when you are training it's a heck of a lot of fun to post your run. Much more mental energy involved, you feel like you're really part of the group. One tough aspect of PF is the way my work goes. I stand up in front of groups, for about 8 hours a day, then have a lot of walking (back to hotel, through airports, standing around), then long plane rides. I don't think this is good for PF, because when I run on the road as I did in Baltimore, I didn't have time then to ice it and do all my other post-exercise exercise. But whether I run or not, from the point of view of reading the posts, I take more enjoyment at reading about how others are doing, if I see that they are trying to improve, or if they are seriously training for something, or if I see that there is a neat lesson learned that someone shares. The Boston trainers are fun to read right now for example. And there are some people who just post the neatest or funniest stuff. Batman is always entertaining, BTB and biketm come to mind as being kind and insightful. So whether I post or not, I still stay up with the daily. Sorry to ramble today. SueT. I got home last night 9 p.m. and immediately started a batch of dough. Bread getting better and better every day. Spareribs
                                yeah, Ribs, I know what you mean. This daily, while some really good runs/training are posted here, is also about sharing how the day went in more ways than just running. I enjoy getting a glimpse into the personal side of folks when they want to share. A community encompasses all facets of life. And to a point, so does the masters forum. I like it all...the runs, the jokes, the good natured banter, talks about the family...life. Good stuff here!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM