Masters Running

Saturday 10/13/18 Fall Weather Runs (Read 44 times)

Joe618

Joe - me too but even more as I was able to enter the town's first triathlon

that summer following the SI coverage of IM no. 1 in February 1978

and keep on doing so ever since.

That's really wild, Tet, that we both remember the same Sports Illustrated article from 1978.

I wrote about one observation I made in this blog post a few years ago.  

Good on ya!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

mrrun

If you are moving north because you think the cold is good for your health you should reconsider. idea was winter anyway?

Twocat - I would think most people retire/move to a place where they prefer the weather and/or have family/friends there rather then thinking about mortality.  This is based on my "random sample of friends"  One couple (late 60's) sold their condo the same month we did, and moved north to Hanover NH for the winter - they already spend the summer in Maine.  We'll spend about one month in Florida in the winter, but don't have any interest in moving there or having a second home.  We also know a fair number of people who have moved to greater Boston from NYC & other areas to be near family.  In later years, people may have other needs (doctors, mobility, etc.) which could influence where they live.  It's a complex topic.

I'm not ready for winter yet - didn't want to put a hat on when we went for our evening walk - but did anyway!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, 5+ pre-dawn miles with temps in the mid-50s before sunup.  Followed by work (drill weekend).

Nice races Jay, Joe and Evanflein!

Have a great night everyone!

mrrun I would be surprised if mortality rates consciously affected where more than a small minority of people move to. Still the average retiree moves to a warmer climate. My guess is that the predisposition is programed into us.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Moving to the Elephant's Graveyard:

I've been actively looking at places for a while now. Two more years and the boy is out of high school and we can narrow it down and take advantage of our Bay Area home value. Probably rent the house for a year and live on the road as we check out different places. If we were to rent it out today, it would get $3500-5000 a month. Minus the $1500 mortgage, that's a good chunk of change to live off of on the road. My good friends are already scattered to the wind, so there's no place for me that's closer or farther. My partner's friends are still mainly in NYC, but they are dispersing as well.  I have a few guidelines, and I'm seeing what places fit into them.

1. less than 2 months with snow on the ground (if any)

2. less than a month of 100+ temps

3. West of the Rockies

4. Populated enough area to have medical services less than an hour away

5. Small enough population that everyone is polite because they aren't anonymous

6. Near trails and natural areas, less than a day drive from most of the Southwest National Parks preferable

7. Less than 2-3 hour drive from major airport

What I've come up with so far:

Flagstaff, Sedona, St George, Springdale, Moab. There are some that don't meet all the parameters; Bend, Palm Springs, Pagosa Springs, Manitou Springs, Taos, Los Alamos, Glenwood Springs, Breckenridge, Grand Junction. Snow-birding is an option, too. My partner says I'd like Providence Town, but I think it might be too weathery for me year round. She also has some property in Hawaii (she's half Hawaiian) but we both feel that's too isolated year round.  My ex moved to Minneapolis and loves it, because of the cheap property values and DIY artsy culture.

Places that are a no-go:

Tornado alley

Hurricane alley

Frozen North

Humid Southeast

Overpopulated East

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I would love to move south to someplace warmer but my kids and grandkids are all in Minnesota (well...most of them) so this is where I will stay.

I had a busy day...

I got up at 5:00 am to be at the school by 6:30 to get in 5 miles before practice.  For practice, we did a 1 mile warmup -- 2 miles of racing (which I did with the varsity girls in 13:07) -- 15 minute rest -- 1 mile of racing (6:27 with the girls) - 4 minute rest -- 1 mile race (6:19 with the girls) -- then I did another mile "sprinting" to the finish line with some of the slower kids....it was fun.

As soon as practice was over, the head coach and I jumped in his car and drove an hour away to watch a kid, who graduated last year, run a college cross country race.  He ended up not running because his back was sore...there is a whole lot more to this story but I won't bore you with it all.

When we got back to the school, I rushed home, picked up Debbie to grab some lunch because I was starving, then I quickly mowed the lawn before we were supposed to be picked up by some friends for supper.  But, as soon as I got out of the shower, I received a call from Eric, saying his bike was broken down and he needed a ride to work, so I got dressed, jumped in the truck, picked him up, took him to work, rushed back home, got picked up about 45 minutes later than planned, and we just got back from a nice dinner out with friends.  (Eric walked home)

And that was my day--aren't you glad I checked in and told you about it?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think both DW and I would like to retire to Maine.  Of course, that's assuming I get to retire at some point .

Nice half, Erika--very speedy.

Rainy 5K race around our lake this morning.  So I paid $30 to do my stock morning run.  Oh well, it 's a good cause.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice racing folks!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Whew, Mike, that's a day!!   Way to take care of everyone!!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I think y'all are missing the point.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

anneb

Interesting topic today! I have a few more years (well more than a few) to work so am unlikely to leave Chicago til that happens. But it’s always fun to think about.

I did pretty well at my Trail half today- right around 2:20. There was a ton of flooding on the course which was interesting. I’ve been eating the rest of the day (I never really run long anymore 😂) and am pretty exhausted. Good night folks.

Anne

Mariposai

Interesting  conversation about where to nest during our golden years. My DH and I  have been thinking a lot about this topic as he is contemplating graduating (aka retiring) from his current work within the next year. I am still committed to my agency for the next 5 years as I need to oversee a few affordable housing developments underway. We always thought we would move away from our area once we are retired, but we are finding out this place has EVERYTHING we want and need: wilderness, sunshine most days, skiing, great community, amazing friends, opportunities to give back to community and make an impact plus Eastern Washington is a very cheap place to live Smile.

And once we retired, we will have all the time in the world to travel to get to airports Smile.

Great half marathon on your birthday weekend, Erika. Way to go!!! And how nice that your co-workers had a surprised birthday celebration for you!

Today was a relaxing day for the Easy Pacer and I. We spent the morning doing some much needed come-caring chores around the house, then we went to our little friend's 5th birthday party. Lovely autumn weather. 5 miles run this morning with legs that reminded me that I just ran a marathon last weekend.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

It's late, but I'm finally getting in here.  Sounds like there was some good running today. Sweet ~

I have to stop asking The Hub to go on walks with me on the weekend.  He's saying yes, which puts a kink in my actual plans. . . . but that's okay. 30 min and about 1.25 miles on a beautiful Humboldt County morning.

Retirement.  We keep discussing where/when, etc., but haven't said, "Let's go check 'this' place out."  At any rate, it's a good 10 years office, more than likely.

I spent the day cleaning the extra bedroom 'cause I have some special guests coming next weekend.  Came across a couple of letters my dad had saved that my mom wrote him about 30 yrs ago when she was (1) was sick and in the hospital and (2) living with my brother about 2 hrs away, helping him out after he and his first wife separate and he became a single dad.  The letter she wrote while staying with my brother - she died about a year later.  Needless to say, I got a little more than teary-eyed.

Okay - It's late.  Off to bed.  'Nite ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I think y'all are missing the point.

Tell me, tell me....

Erika and Anne - nice HMs!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."