Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 7.23.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I've got no time for a recap this morning, so someone else will have to take that on. Our conservation commission meeting lasted almost 3 hours last night - it was long, but we dealt with about half a dozen wetlands applications, and took care of some other pressing issues as well, so it was productive. But it meant that I got to bed an hour + later than usual.

We had some very heavy rains overnight - heavy enough to wake me up 2-3 times. It stopped by early morning, but the temp was 71 and the dew point 70 when I headed out at J o'clock, and it just wasn't nice. I felt like I could reach out and wring out the ground fog that was out there. I did OK for about 4 miles, but then the H&H started to get to me and I got a little light-headed so I had to back off. And then my allergies kicked in too (why not?) and I sneezed for a while. So my last 2 or so miles of the 6.76 total were pretty slow. But at least I got it done, and tomorrow's another day.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sounds awful, Jay.  Good job getting it done anyway!

I felt terrible out there.  I don't know if it's the weather, that I wore myself out in Colorado, too much on my mind or if I have a touch of something, but running just feels terrible.   2 1/2 slow miles.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

MorningJay and all that follow.  not much of a recap here either, but i will say it was nice of Shorty to supply somebody's camping trip. 

Yes indeedy, it was swamp running this morning.  Looked at my phone after dripping around the lake and saw that I had 73° temp and 71° DP.  Bad enough that this was my first early morning run in almost 2 weeks AND over 10 pace on the flats in a long time.  Even broke out the reflective vest.  Maybe a BIT early, but Fall in lurking.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

More swampy weather here, too.  But it should be improving later in the week.

20 on the bike.

PT yesterday, checking on my form for exercises I already do plus adding a few new exercises to the routine. Interesting stuff.

Be safe. Be kind.

mrrun

4 miles in that same swamp (no rain) - had trouble breathing, not something that is normally a problem

runners (and bikers) dilemma - if you're half way up a hill and moving easily and you see a quarter on the ground - do you break pace to pick it up & lose momentum or keep running.  I picked up the quarter but will pass a dime - my $.25 worth

hope others have more comfortable temps,

marj

..Skeet Shooting day today.......

================

just wanted to chime in

and say I hope whoever stole Shorty's Stuff gets Cooties..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I ran 4 this morning.  It is still warm and the dew point is "uncomfortable".  I guess the cool mornings won't be here until tomorrow.

On most days I don't think I would stop to pick up a quarter.  $5 bills and up would be worth bending down for.  I'd also stop for a 50 cent piece, dollar coin, or a 2 dollar bill.

I am going through one of my "burned out at work" phases.  Yesterday I was at the office staring at my computer trying to fix a problem.  I know the solution but I needed at least 2% more brain power to actually do the work.  I was hanging on for a 2:00 meeting but at 1:58 the meeting was canceled.  I packed up and left.  Stopped at the gym and had a very good workout.

Still feeling burned out at work today.  I'm going to try and pick one item on my infinite to do list and see if I can get it done.  It's either that or call in sick.  If I get one thing done it may give me enough momentum to carry on.

TammyinGP

It is very smoky here from wildfires to the east, west and south of us. ughhh. can't even open windows and for a change we are finally getting our very cool nights and early mornings when it's nice to open windows to cool down the house. 
                  My gym is closed this week for the annual deep cleaning "club scrub" as they call it. I figured I was out of luck then for running this week because our air quality is in the unhealthy zone so running outdoors isn't very smart. I called the Y and they are offering members from my gym an option to work out there. It's a $5 guest fee, which is less than if you were just a regular guest, but I guess in order to get in some running (and get in the miles for my running team!) that's where I'll head after work.  At least at the Y, the treadmills face large windows outside that is a view of the horse race track, so the view might be more interesting that at my gym. 

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Slugged through 5 miles at lunch.

The heat is getting to me bigtime this week.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm going to try and pick one item on my infinite to do list and see if I can get it done.  It's either that or call in sick.  If I get one thing done it may give me enough momentum to carry on.

I know the feeling.  All day I have been trying to get to the one goal I had today, working on a VA benefits claim for a client - just one of the several that are due, but I just put that one file as a goal for the day.  Unfortunately, it is nearly 3:00pm and my day has been continually hijacted by telephone calls, crisis issues in other cases, and emails that need responses.  Days like this I get to the end of the day exhausted yet not exactly sure what I accomplished.

4.3 miles for me this morning in a lovely 59 degrees.  The cool front has arrived.

I am really enjoying my latest audio book - Eragon, by Christopher Paolini.  The narrator is wonderful with the voices.  I think I saw the movie of this ten or eleven years ago, but it has been long enough that I don't remember much, so the story is fresh again.

Sometimes I will pick up a penny if it is especially shiny - Find a penny, pick it up, then all day you'll have good luck!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. . . . but i will say it was nice of Shorty to supply somebody's camping trip. 

Right??  I was more ticked about my $$ stash that's gone untouched for almost a year. 

Money - I pick up any and everything if the opportunity presents itself.

Work - I  lost it yesterday in the late afternoon, had trouble getting to sleep last night, and lost it again this morning in our team meeting.  Not at anybody, but at the situation and the fact that 2 of the 3 attorneys who are supposed to be working on all this application stuff haven't lifted hardly a finger.  I've been doing all their work, working 6 days a week.  70+ applications have be finalized and turned in by Sept 15. Clients who ignore emails and don't have voice mailboxes set up or they're full so there's no way a phone call can get returned. The 3rd attorney, Jeff, is the one who's been busting his a$$ the whole time, so I know he's totally stressed out, as well, and working 10+ hr days.  Blah, blah, blah . . .

I told Jeff  that my biggest fear is someone's application doesn't get turned in by the deadline and the firm gets sued.  I realized that's not on me, but on the partners who continued to agree to take on clients - specifically the partner "overseeing" all this - but it doesn't make it less stressful.  Jeff took on a few of one of the other attorney's clients and I'm like, "Dude!  I've been working on those and they're almost done!"   He also came in my office after the meeting and asked me if I needed a mental health day and gave me a hug.    I don't like getting all emotional about this stuff, but holy cow - a person can only take so much.

Okay.  Sorry.  That's enough.  Thanks for listening ~~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Right??  I was more ticked about my $$ stash that's gone untouched for almost a year. 

well, there wasn't any food in the car, so what do you expect? 

At least you got someone that understands.  even if he can't do a lot about it

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks for listening ~~~

What?

I went 9.3 miles which included 7 miles of hilly tempos...it did not go well.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Hey Mike, how are you doing these days? You've had some runs you say didn't go well, but not sure what that means. It seems you were battling one thing after another for awhile, but just wondered if the injuries are all pretty much behind you. Well, for now. Runners never seem to completely leave injuries behind...

Hey Leslie, hang in there. And I agree with whoever it was who said the clients who don't respond should be put on the back burner. Let them contact you. It's their business application, right?

Today's the day I try to do my longer mid-week run, and lately that's been the 10+ mile trail run on the first 7 miles of the Equinox course, then back to my office building. But since Sunday's long run, my legs have just not been "bouncing back" like they used to. My quads are still a little sore and my shins are tender. So, off for another 5.2 run on the relatively flat path behind campus today. Works out anyway because I have plans for right after work so the longer run wouldn't have been possible today. So it goes. Hopefully the ol' legs will be feeling better tomorrow and can tackle the trails again.

spacityrunner

2.1 miles at sunset around the workplace.  A nice little cold front came for a visit so it was a pleasant 80f with 70% humidity.  A slight breeze made the whole run just freaking delightful for August!  24ish min, 11 m/m ish.  I'll take it!

Trails Rock!