Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - w/e 03/03 (Read 20 times)

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.  (Confucius)

Welcome to a new week, friends.  Hope the folks in the middle of the country start having better weather.  Except for Jim.  And only because they need the moisture for their fields. Smile

Was suppose to get up and do 4 this a.m., but battled a bad headache and being really tired all day yesterday, so I slept in.  So 4 EZ this evening in cold, windy conditions.  Now I'm just waiting for Coach Gary to get me my schedule for the rest of the week.  Think I'll go sit in a hot bath for awhile then check again.

Nite All ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I did 5 miles this a.m. with Miles 3 and 4 being tempo miles.  My legs are still tired from Saturday and from last night's EZ 4, and it took about 1.5 miles before they loosened up.  My tempo paces are Matt's and Joe's regular paces, so I'll continue to stake claim to being the tortoise amongst the group.

We have thousands of Canada geese that winter here.  The ranchers and farmers hate them because they tear up the fields.  Their daily flight path, to and from their feeding grounds, goes right over our hours.  During my last mile. wave after wave after wave of squadrons of honking geese flew overhead.  They look like tiny fighter planes.  It was an incredible sight and sound to behold.  I stopped twice to watch them fly over.

Leslie
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Unfortunately, they can also act as little bombers.  Hope you're not in THAT fight path.  Our town used to have an Australian shepherd to try and chase  the geese off our common and lake since they were very adept at spreading landmines when there's 100's of them around.  Flash had to be retired since he kept stepping in holes and hurting himself.  Now they have volunteers that go around to there nests and oil the eggs so that little ones don't appear.  Not always successful.

3.25 for me this morning at 9:30 average pace, but highly irregular actual pace due to all the snow seepage that froze overnight.  Lots tippy-toeing around or over the slippery spots.  As much as I love my Pure Connects, the traction sucks on snow and ice.  Plus, since they're so flexible, they turn into elf shoes when I tried them with the Yaktracs.  I can survive on most anything that has a little texture with the Adrenalines.

At some point when I feel a little more comfortable wiht my base, I may actual do a little speed work, but for now, I'm going to stick with Leslie in the tortise class and just get the miles in.

and yes, 70 is approaching beastly hot.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

jfa

Geese abound here and are a big problem. Year round they poo all over the athletic fields and school yards. Some have tried putting plywood labs out in the fields, but the geese figure it out . I let Buddy chase them. One of his favorite things me thinks.

Happy Belated B Day Leslie. what are you now, 29?

Nice attitude Stumpy. Take it easy on that slippery stuff. Glad we missed that last dumping that you received.

Loosened up Arla? Yes, if you're complaing and bundling up for 60* weather, you're officially a warm weather wimp.

What I have been doing is on the pullup bar (palms out) do 3 perfect pullups, drop in a squat, snap out to pushup position, 3 perfect pushups ,then snap right back up for 3 more pullups. Tonight I did 5 sets ( so 60 pullups/60 pushups) of those with 2 mile tm runs in between. Cowbell is the same as conventional barbells. Curls,shoulder lifts,swing under your legs and up,etc. Also getting in 5 sets of abs. Lunges, squats,planks,trying to mix in all I can. All that went with 4 games of racquetball earlier this morning. Much to the chagrin of my opponent, I won them all today.

My goal is to get more agile as in spring time I am taking up something that I consider my next evolution in sailing , that's kiteboarding. I have been reading up on it and will be able to speak the language by the time I take a lesson or two in the spring. I was sailboarding in the early 80's ( and sailing since 13 yo) so it's the next step for me. I'm excited about it.

Happy Belated B Day Leslie. what are you now, 29?

Yes. Yes, I am.

I'm always afraid that "too much" cross training is going to make a tired body even more tired come running days, so I only XT two times a week at the most, and those are usually on a rest day and a low/EZ mileage day.  Guess I need to stop being a wimp and try it and find out.  I have some DVDs that just kick my rear end, so maybe I'll start incorporating them more after this upcoming race.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - I think you're in good shape to hit that 4-hour mark, hope you get the right course and weather and all that.

Leslie - those Canada geese are a sight! Too bad there's just too darn many of them in many places, and people don't seem interested in eating them nowadays. When I worked with the USDA in Philadelphia, we tried to donate a bunch of goosemeat to homeless shelters but they turned their noses up at it! Go figure!

stumpy - keep at those miles and keep the shiny side up!

Joe - dang, that's tough stuff you're doing there! Have you started practicing with a kite? Do the kiteboarders use a 2-line or 4-line kite? It sure looks fun, even playing around with a strong-pulling kite on the ground is a kick!

Hope ev is recovered from his fun weekend.

Felt mysteriously tired yesterday, so turned in early and slept a little extra, and then just as mysteriously felt great today! The butt is about 95% better, did some extra stretching and foam rolling and got in a couple strides today. Thinking Saturday's 10K is going to go ok after all, hoping to crack into the top 3.

Supposed to be 80 here on Saturday! Shocked

Ex runner

80??  Dang.  Good job listening to your body, Arla, and getting the extra rest.  You're gonna do great in the race.

About 50 min of core/strength training last night while finishing up "Because I Said So."  Diane Keaton is such a screw ball.

This morning is was 8 miles of a steady paced run.  When I left the house, I told myself I was too tired to run the hills on the course I would be taking, and I vowed to turn up "S" Street when I got there.  . . . . I sucked it up and ran the hills.  I'm glad I did as my endurance is definitely improving, and the reward is the bathroom at Safeway at the 4-mile turn around point. Big grin

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

My quads are sore and tired, but my 4 EZ went well this a.m.  Probably could've been more aggressive with my 30 min of strength training, but my heart just wasn't in it.  I used for foam roller for a few minutes this morning, and have decided I really need to find a sports massage  therapist to go to every three weeks or so.  I've been getting regular transcription jobs at home, so it shouldn't be too taxing on the finances.

Tomorrow is my last LR, and then I get to start my taper in the Rodeo Valley 50k on March 16.  I plan to savor the lower mileage since afterward, things are going to start getting a bit harder to get ready for Memorial Day Weekend and Mt. Hood.

Okay - Lunch time is over ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Literally a crappy run week. Apparently in our travels we both picked up a bug that made me more of a "trotter" than a runner. I finally went to the doc yesterday, bloodwork did indeed seem to indicate a viral thing so have to wait it out, seems to be improving though.

Arla good luck with your 10k race today, sounds like you are ready! One thing about getting older is I think we get smarter about listening to our bodies and sometimes you just need a little rest.

One of the farm papers I get pegged CA snowpack at only 66% ave for this time of year after a wet start.http://www.agweb.com/article/california_faces_‘gloomy_water-supply_year_/ Seems like the west is remaining dry.

Stumpy, nice pace there! I hate that melt refreeze on the asphalt  especially on a slight slope as you are running fine and all of a sudden you are on the ground wondering what the heck happened. I been loving my La Sportiva crosslites for general winter ice and snow, by far the best I found but the black ice stil finds me doing the tippy toeing step light thing you were talking about.

Joe that kiteboarding looks really fun and sounds like you are going to have the fitness to do really well at it.

Leslie enjoy your upcoming taper. Sounds like have done quite well in this training cycle despite the foot issue early on.  Maybe I could loan you Dessa Lou to keep the goose poo away, she ran down another coyote 2 weeks ago, she is stupid fast!

Om good luck on the Colorado Marathon. Ft Collins is a neat town. I think Mtn Chick did the half or maybe the full.

Ev I am so jealous of your snow and moisture. Heard Amarillo had close to 20 inches, record, thats good enough to snowshoe in!

Some STOMP pics if you are interested. https://picasaweb.google.com/117838166781867695807/022313STOMP?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCM2Kpt-a_52SYQ&feat=directlink

We seemed to miss the good snow again. Our shallow snow cover will melt this week and maybe we will begin to be able to assess our wheat condition. The central corn belt has recovered some as well as the SE, and although the southern plains picked up the big snows I dought it will change their drought status too much unless the storm track continues. Won't be long and we will be back in the field. Kinda puts a question mark on entering any races this spring and summer as I expect we will be irrigating early where we can.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Hope your LR went well today and now it's TAPER TIME! WOOT! Might want to back off on the strength training, too..?? You're going to come off this at a great jumping off point for Mt. Hood, I would think.

r2 - Sorry to hear bout your trotting, not the kind of easy run anyone enjoys. Yeah, dry and warm today, we're officially at 79 as I type. Maybe a pinch of precip coming this week, but I'm already deep-watering my redwoods (curses to the people who thought planting coast redwoods in Fresno was a good idea).

The race today was chaos! Everyone got sent in different directions, I guess because there was also a 2 mi and some other events so the course monitors were confused. A few women clocked 19 and 20-minute 10Ks (heh), while the 50+ women's winner came in around 27:00 (wouldn't that be nice?). The pack I was in got to run a little extra, I'm not sure how much. Somehow I got officially 5th and it's good for points so I'll take it. All in good fun and for a good cause.

The course start/finish was near the firehouse in the small town where Mark works. After the race Mark, his wife Shirley, myself, and a couple extra friends got permission for Mark to take us for a spin in one of the engines (Mark is an engineer). We had real fireman helmets and headphones with mics (the engines are loud) and Mark even blipped the siren and horns for us. Fun! Then we got a tour of the firehouse, let's just say it's a fantastic man-cave, each guy has his own Laz-Z-Boy type chair, there's a sweet big-screen TV, and a really nice gym. One of the guys joked that all they needed was a refrigerator that holds a keg.

Ex runner

Arla - Sounds like you had a good time, despite the chaos.  Saw the pics on FB of you in the fire engine.  What fun!

Jim - Sure wish you guys were getting more moisture.  Hope the trots clear up soon!

Last long run in the bag today.  25 miles in about 6 hours out at the McKay Tract that sufficiently wiped out my legs.  They are T-O-A-S-T.  Tackled a 7-mile loop twice, which on one side is up, up, up, then a snotty, slippery mess down the other side, then some out and back.

My legs haven't felt like this since Mt. Hood last year.  However, I've schedule a 1.5 hr massage for Monday that should help get them back in working order.  It's gonna hurt like the dickens, but it's gonna be worth it.  The darling hub worked on my calves this evening, and all I can say about that is O-U-C-H!!  . . . . But thanks, Hon.  I REALLY needed it.

Arla - Yes, I will be backing off the strength training for the next two weeks, but will keep some core stuff going.  That's the part about tapering that stinks.  Two weeks with little to no strength training always sets me back in that arena.  But, I really, REALLY need the rest this time around.  I'm very tired.  Been increasing mileage for the last 6 weeks to get ready for this race.

So - my brother lives 4+ hours away.  There's a message on the answering machine when I get home saying he's come up to my dad's place (about half an hour from us).  He brought fresh eggs for us, if we're interested.  Here are the kickers: (1) I had no idea he was coming to town, and (2) My 72-year old dad works the graveyard shift as a security guard at a hospital.  He's usually a mess on Sundays and not moving too much 'til late afternoon.  Did my dad even know he was coming?  Who knows.  Brian gets a wild hair up his butt, and there he goes.  Unfortunately, I have a ton of transcription I have to work on tomorrow.  Not sure if he's expecting us to have him and dad up here for a visit or what.  If I'd known he was coming, I would've done some extra typing during the week to make up for not being able to tomorrow.  Now, I HAVE to work tomorrow.  Sometimes all I can do is Roll eyes.  I'll see him in two weeks when I stay with him to run Rodeo Valley.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - congratulations on getting that last run in so solidly! You've certainly earned this taper. My brother visits randomly like that, too. Sometimes I get to see him, sometimes not.

Cooler and showery today, should make for a pleasant long run.

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

3.25 for me this morning at 9:30 average pace, but highly irregular actual pace due to all the snow seepage that froze overnight.  Lots tippy-toeing around or over the slippery spots.  As much as I love my Pure Connects, the traction sucks on snow and ice.  Plus, since they're so flexible, they turn into elf shoes when I tried them with the Yaktracs.  I can survive on most anything that has a little texture with the Adrenalines.

Have you tried the Pure Grit? That's why I've been wearing in the snow and slush and muck this winter, since my regular shoes are the Pure Flow. So far, no need for the Yak Traks for me! Nice run, btw. Smile

flatland mountaineer

3.5 yesterday and 7 today, kind of a run walk jog, but no TROTTING! Yay, Feeling ok just short of energy but seems to be coming back pretty fast.

Arla so did you get a new asterisk PR? ;-) congrats on the official 5th place, sounds like a big time at the firehouse.

Leslie yay last long run of the cycle in the books! And don't get me started about family :-(

Contractor is pouring a concrete floor in the shed we put up last winter so have to get all our Junk  equipment moved out this afternoon. Hopefully the contractor gets started tommorow.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie....I missed your birthday? How in the heck did that happen?  Happy Birthday!  Hope you had a good one.  Happy tapering!

Arla....Nice going on the 10K+.  Nce ride in the fire engine.   I'd have had to resist the urge to say, "One Adam 12, One Adam 12."  Or were those guys paramedics?

Joe...kickin' some raquetball butt.

Jim....we did get some good moisture.  8 inches of wet snow, followed by 18 inches of wet snow a few days latr.  Plenty of snow shoveling. I'll was wondering yestrday about the the stomp.  I'll check out the pics latr.  Hope this week is less "crappy" for you!

Stumpy...I'm with you about the icey conditions.  I like a nice layer of snow  1-2 inches.  But once it starts getting packed and icey, it makes it tough.  Need the yak trax, and OM....I'll have to check out the pure grit. Thanks for that tip.

Just about recovered from the fun musical weekend from last week.....then had another fun musical weeked this week.  My friend Joe Baxter and his band the Lost Cause performed a stellar show at Roman Nose State Park.  Baxter is a great songwriter.  Pure Americana.  Every song takes your mind to a place that us Okies can all relate to.  He doesn't get much publicity, but locally he's becoming a legend. A real gem.

Anyway....a couple of 6ers for me this weekend.  Yestrday was shorts and T!

Latr my runnning campaneros.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM