Masters Running

Need stretches for hamstrings and hips (Read 217 times)

The title pretty much explains it. My hamstrings are so tight that I cant even come close to touching my toes and I am tired of being in pain for days after a run. Please post any good hamstring or hip stretches. THANKS Laurie (everything hurts)

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sorry, but this is going to be short because I am headed for bed. Where is your running log so we can see what you are doing run wise??? Won't fine you this one time... I really don't think stretching is going to help what you are describing....details are what we need...miles, pace, stress levels, diet, work, HR, etc. We all as runners experience some soreness and tightness, but not what you are describing...are you running too fast? Stretching is over rated as far as I am concerned...and recent research backs that up...but stretching AFTER a run is the best. Others will chime in here too. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

The title pretty much explains it. My hamstrings are so tight that I cant even come close to touching my toes and I am tired of being in pain for days after a run. Please post any good hamstring or hip stretches. THANKS Laurie (everything hurts)
        I am glad you posted this Laurie, for tight hammies is a plague among runners. I am sure there are many here with much more experience than me, but this is what I doon a regular basis to keep the hammies happy: once a month massage; yoga classes once a week or you can get great videos if you don't have any opportunities in your community.Ask Mc Solar and Opie on how good a sun salutation is for the tight hip Big grin Daily random stretches by laying besides the wall and putting my legs up, one at the time. Yeah...it is not lady like, but they sure help. This really helps!!!. Dancing and moving the hip gently may release some tightness also. Of course some core strength is a must as well. Good luck and I am looking forward to other posters here as well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

..here are some hip/hammy stretches from Dr Bookspan's website........scroll down, and try the ''relaxing stretches'' part Hope it helps http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/labels/leg%20stretch.html

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks guys. I did find one that stretches the hamstring. I stand up tall and cross legs then try to touch my toes. Works well. My leg pain radiates from knee to to hip. When driving I am in severe pain after a half hour. The stiffness makes it worse. Tim, I dont log but my typical week is Mon rest, tues 3-5 mile slow run, wed weights and aerobic machines, Thursday 24 mile bike ride, Fri long swim, Sat 3 mile run slow, Sun up to 12 mile run. On my rest day, Mon, I stretch, do some pilates or yoga. Running too fast?! No I am a 9-11 minutes miler. Thanks for the link Tom. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.