Masters Running

Sundaily, 4/7/2019 (Read 43 times)

Sad to see a former poster here in the daily pass on. I never knew Dennis other than through his posts. That is my loss judging from the pictures and stories here.

I have been meaning to post a link to a Runner's World article about a runner who was hit by a truck and killed. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27021729/dianne-wells-running-killed-truck-lawsuit/. What I found to be mind boggling is that, to quote "South Carolina Highway Patrol’s Multi-Disciplinary Accident Investigation Team listed both" at fault! The truck ran a red light. The runner simply entered the crosswalk after the countdown clock started. My understanding of the clock is that it is for the pedestrian's use. Basically, it says you have X seconds left to cross. If you cannot get across in X seconds do not start now. Why should a pedestrian be at any fault for being in a crosswalk during a green walk light? Why should a driver that then runs the red light not be 100% at fault? This makes no sense whatever to me. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I did a couple loops of the Dirty Dozen course in Pinole; a 12hr (and 6hr and 10k and 5k) race that will be there on July 6. 

I've never heard of this before.  I'll have to put it on my bucket list.  Some day I'll be back out running again . . . theoretically.

Around 4:00 p.m. there was a light knock on our front door.  A young guy (probably in his 20's) is standing there and has obviously been running.  "Hi.  My pug ran under your garage door."  I had him come in and we went into the garage, but didn't see her at first.  Opened the door and we were looking around the yard when we heard a whimper.  She was scared to death - I'm assuming from the garage door opening - and had wedge herself under the front of The Hub's riding mower.  Poor thing.  She didn't look old enough to be out running, but pug saved.  Nice young man, too.  Said he lived near us, so if I see her out and about I'll know she has a dog parent nearby.

That's about the excitement of the day.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Rest in peace Dennis.

Another quick post from me. Orchards in Bloom race is just around the corner and I have a lot of details still to take care of.

12 walking running miles for me. I ran to the river and then just followed the path leading me to great views.  The eagles were soaring high as was my spirit.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy joyous anniversaries and sad news about Dennis Ley. I’m glad Holly got to run with him.  Especially since I’m not a Facebooker, there’s several who used to be so active and close that I’m scared to ask about.

However, though I once vowed to quit running if it ever became so pathetic as to take five hours to run 26.2 miles and, though I’ve been called “stupid” for running barefoot, I’ve never heard “dork” applied to running.

Twocat - same as the victim’s preventative reflective wear, I always thought that wearing reflective yellow vest any time of day plus reflective wrist and ankle bands and head lamp and red blinkie at dusk/dark or when/wherever lighting/visibility is poor would make sure it wasn’t my fault if something happened.  In fact, my fastest running spurts nowadays are to make the last few seconds of a “walk” signal countdown across the street.  Never again.

I have been meaning to post a link to a Runner's World article about a runner who was hit by a truck and killed. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27021729/dianne-wells-running-killed-truck-lawsuit/. What I found to be mind boggling is that, to quote "South Carolina Highway Patrol’s Multi-Disciplinary Accident Investigation Team listed both" at fault! The truck ran a red light. The runner simply entered the crosswalk after the countdown clock started. My understanding of the clock is that it is for the pedestrian's use. Basically, it says you have X seconds left to cross. If you cannot get across in X seconds do not start now. Why should a pedestrian be at any fault for being in a crosswalk during a green walk light? Why should a driver that then runs the red light not be 100% at fault? This makes no sense whatever to me. 

. . . realized this morning that I had forgotten my running shorts.  Well, darn it.

Holly, although I’ve been told, “it’s not a good idea to wear a long sleeve shirt in a cross-country race” (snags up on bushes and branches) and I shouldn’t “wear Berumuda shorts” (so I can carry my wallet and car keys with me in those days, and cell phone now), there’s no rules that require official "running" wear to go running.  I haven't bought a pair of running shoes since 1990 and wear lots of different outfits that have nothing to do with running.  However, not yet Batman.

ps - happy Dirty Dozen 12-hour Joe.

Have you done it, or other ultras, before?

Come on up here to the PNW next week

if you'd like a trial run on the Carkeek Park trails

for their semi-annual 12-hour. 1.93 mile loop with 436' gain.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)