Masters Running

Moving on up to Monday 11/19/18 (Read 35 times)

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

The recipe was my own. All of my ideas are thought out very well. Many of them are still bad ideas.

He's very impressed with how smart he thinks he is. But when him and Mom are talking about things and he says to Mom, "I've been thinking..", she gets sad tears on her checks and starts hollering  on him very loud.

I just go in the bedroom and get sad too because I know I won't be getting ice cream until Dad says he's sorry.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

SteveP

Tag...you lie like a dog on a rug. Go lay down.

SteveP

spacityrunner

Uh oh...taggie got on the computer again...good dog tag!

Steve you crack me up.  I'm sure your DW chuckles a lot 

5 slow miles on the mountain tonight.  I stayed with our trail "leader" who doesn't run so good anymore so they were slower miles than I liked but not much slower than I usually am.  It was hard when it got dark...I am just not used to running trails in the dark.  Beautiful night for a trail run.  Between the sunset and the moon it was magical out there.

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Less chance of spider webs at this time of year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spacityrunner

Nary a one tonight...

Less chance of spider webs at this time of year.

Trails Rock!

I know I have been AWOL for some time. Between being unable to run (for months to come) and work I am afraid to admit that I have just been reading every few days and that has been it. SteveP I was planning to smoke a turkey after seeing an episode of Dinners, Drive Ins and Dives. Guy Fieri was just gaga over it. But my DW's running buddy said her DH had smoked them in the past with mixed results. He is an expert smoker. I am not kidding when I say he may make the best smoked chicken on the planet and is good enough to compete in Texas on the brisket circuit. All of this is to say that DW said no turkey smoking for me given that report. Sad how DW's never have any faith in their DH's.  Plan B is to do what I have done for years. I will brine the turkey and then rotisserie with some wood chips to give it some smoke flavor. Not a real smoked turkey but better than nothing.

Next up: What to make for dinner tomorrow and Wednesday. Chicken is out (duh!). Two days of fish my DW cannot take. Something heavy is out, meaning no steak or stew. What is left? Air sandwiches? Help!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

spacityrunner

Hmmmm...I ordered a smoked turkey.  Wish you had posted this last week!!!!  

Something vegetarian???

I know I have been AWOL for some time. Between being unable to run (for months to come) and work I am afraid to admit that I have just been reading every few days and that has been it. SteveP I was planning to smoke a turkey after seeing an episode of Dinners, Drive Ins and Dives. Guy Fieri was just gaga over it. But my DW's running buddy said her DH had smoked them in the past with mixed results. He is an expert smoker. I am not kidding when I say he may make the best smoked chicken on the planet and is good enough to compete in Texas on the brisket circuit. All of this is to say that DW said no turkey smoking for me given that report. Sad how DW's never have any faith in their DH's.  Plan B is to do what I have done for years. I will brine the turkey and then rotisserie with some wood chips to give it some smoke flavor. Not a real smoked turkey but better than nothing.

Next up: What to make for dinner tomorrow and Wednesday. Chicken is out (duh!). Two days of fish my DW cannot take. Something heavy is out, meaning no steak or stew. What is left? Air sandwiches? Help!

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve/Two-cat: Why brine turkeys?

Most fish are brine-soaked in holding tanks nowadays while they await unloading

and freezing but why add salt to a turkey that has so much added to it during cooking

and doesn't seem to need any more salt and, since the turkeys are probably frozen

within minutes, wouldn't seem to need any preservative between taking and freezing?

3.7 mile up Mt. Si

Compared to the old days a little southeast of erika-land when I could hike several local trails and up two coastal peaks from the front door and be up in the alpines in less than an hour overlooking coastal fjords, glaciers, etc. or drive to six-or-seven more within 10-15 minutes, no way am I going to fight Seattle traffic to do the same down here,especially in the absence of the scenic views up in the northland, . . . along with occasional deer, bear, goats, wolves (albeit only one time) and almost always porcupines, marmots, bald eagles galore, grouse, ptarmigan, etc.).

However, driving to the Saturday morning spinning class on a beautiful fall morn and again the same yesterday, anything sounded better than being inside while the sunny days were still staving off the winter rains so I drove another half hour up I-90 for the two two mile treks taking a little less than an hour (one way) up the local favorite Rattlesnake Ledges Trail (Sat) and the Cedar River Trail to Twin Falls (Sun).
                  Topped off the Trifecta today with a three hour climb up the 3.7 mile trail to the boulder fields at 3,000' on nearby Mt. Si (that only took 1hr/20min when I was ran up in an ascent race in 1996). Unlike erika-land days where timberline gave way to the alpines by 2,000', it’s forested climbing with no views at all all the way down here, . . . and the view of I-90 from the top didn’t compare much either.  However, it was better than being inside so I might go back before the winter rains set in for real.  <<<(Ed note: especially since he missed picking up a windbreaker and down vest on the way down he stashed under a windfall on the way up as temps climbed up from 37 to the fifties).

Monday: Mt. Si - 4,187' (3hr + 2hr)

.Image result for mt si images . .Image result for mt si images

hiking Mount Si / seattletimes.com

Sunday:  Twin Falls (1hr + 1hr)

Twin Falls

Saturday:  Rattlesnake Ledges (1hr + 40min)

Image result for rattlesnake ledge images ...... .Image result for rattlesnake ledge images..

real hiking.

Image result for mendenhall glacier from Mt. McGinnis images..

Image result for mendenhall glacier from Mt. McGinnis images

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good to see you, Twocat.  I like smoked turkey!

Tet- love those pictures.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth