Masters Running

Sunday 9/25/16 Still-Feels-Like-Summer Runs (Read 28 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I guess when Jay is away, everyone is afraid to start the daily.  No one does the recap as well as Jay, so I will not even try - you all know I love you....

Still feels like summer today, with 82 degrees and sunshine out there right now. It will be cooling off tomorrow, though, and it looks to be highs in the 60's the rest of the week, which I suppose it is time for.

19.6 miles for me today doing the run/walk thing.  I wonder how far I should go on my LR next week?  It's not as if I have anything to taper from.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I'm so glad that the weather we are having today we did not have yesterday for my trail race. It's near 100 today, but yesterday was only in low 70's for most of the day. 12K trail race was fairly cool and overcast. 

today is just about keeping busy and moving around because my legs are pretty sore from yesterday long climb. so I picked all my garlic and onions from garden, picked more apples. made dehydrated apple chips, made an apple pie. it smells pretty good in the house!  

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

I met 2 new friends for a trail run today, and it was cold when we started!  Right around freezing.  But it warmed up nicely when the sun got higher, and was IRC for most of the run - mid 50s and sunny, with a gorgeous blue sky and golden aspen trees!  We ran/hiked about 22 miles.  Both of my new friends are thinking of signing up for the 50k race I'm doing in 3 weeks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spinach

I ran only 2 miles this morning, but it increased my months mileage by 50%.  I could feel the few miles I ran yesterday. I planned on running more but no one in my running club showed up this morning. Maybe I missed the change or maybe the threatening rain and the crowd in the town, both an art fest and a memorial service for the child, Jacob Wetterling, who disappeared 27 years ago and his body has just been found this month, were in town that morning.

I may do a few more miles this week.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  12 easy, then a 3 mile walk with DH, who cycled 62 miles Saturday.

just enjoying being home and having a lazy weekend.....oh yeah, and a little baseball on the side.....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Definitely not feeling like summer here! Temp was 39° when I started out and the slight breeze really chilled me to the bone until I started warming up. Wore capris, long-sleeved shirt, running vest and light gloves. Needed better gloves, and maybe a wind-jacket instead of the vest. Legs were tired from the start, probably from the 8.5 yesterday. But, hung in there and pushed through for 15.1 miles and that definitely felt like enough. Gets me to 45 for the week and puts a tiny dent in the pace bunny deficit.

Holly, I bet if you don't push it too hard you could do 15 or so next week, practicing what you'll do at Portland.

I love how Carolyn makes new friends to go run/hike 22 miles with! The only people I told I was planning 15 miles the week after Equinox told me I was nuts!

Tammy, I can't believe how hot it still is where you are! Nice run yesterday, sounds like a tough course. How was your garden this year?

Ok, I need to get cleaned up then going up the hill to a friend's house to pick some apples! She's at quite a bit higher elevation, and apparently the apple trees do pretty well up there. I wonder how they'd do at our 980 feet?

Not summer here either. Had on a long sleeved shirt all day! We are going to freeze I tell you freeze! 

SteveP man those snow storms when it gets down to 95° can be brutal! I hope you do not see one like that in the next week or so.

No running for me today. Just some time on the elliptical. Later in the day I started putting up our Halloween decorations. The scarecrows are planted in the front yard. The wraiths are up in the house. There is still a lot to do, including talking my DW into letting me throw a Halloween party.  I already know what I want to go as, a colonial settler. Like Ichabod Crane's outfit on the TV show Sleepy Hollow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

2 miles this am just so I could break 30 for the week.  All systems are working, no aches, yay!   I'm going to be pathetically slow for Portland, but happy I will start feeling like I won't injure anything.

After my little run, Mr. Blue Eyes and I did a 27 mile bike ride.  Donut stop halfway.  Gorgeous late September day, temps getting into the 70s, red maple leaves here and there.  Then we came home and made 2 apple pies.  Fall is by far my favourite season.  No need for sunblock this late in the year and it is cool in the mornings.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

RUN

Never heard of it before but two 2 HH wraith miles to MF
                    in more than 50-degrees colder than Tammy but ten above erika.
                    Bright white new snow in the sunrise down to the 4,000' level
                    on peaks around the glacier

FISHING

Nothing wraith, though, about subsequent solo fishing along the sunny
                    lakeshore in cargo shorts and thongs and having an errant cast lodge
                    the hook complete with barb deep into my calf.
                    What’s a fisherman supposed to do when a hook in the leg
                    threatens to disrupt the day’s plans?
                    Why the same thing a runner would do if bad luck reared
                    its ugly head in the middle of a marathon: keep on running,
                    of course, so, after twisting the red-and-white daredevil lure part
                    off the split ring, kept on fishing for a couple more hours
                    and, with the help of a pair of pliers, dealt with it afterwards
                    before anyone found out. Ouch.

ps tammy - cool trail RR, . . . huh?

Image result for new snow mendenhall glacier peaks images

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm beginning to wonder if it's safe to even be around tet.

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm beginning to wonder if it's safe to even be around tet.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."