Masters Running

Friday 7.29 (Read 27 times)

Good morning good people! Three more days to add to your July totals. Get out there and seize the day

Will do my best at attempting a most excellent recap since Jay is off doing other fun things....

Stumpy - splurge and go buy some wicking running shorts! Preferably black!

Steve - love the sign "no lunatics beyond this point!"  I think you should write a book about some of the eccentric people you've worked with over the years. Spiders? Taxidermy? Really? Where do they find these folks?

Happy belated birthday to you DS Erika. I'll bet he can't wait to get back to Alaska. Hopefully he'll have some ideas about what he wants to do when he gets out of the service.

Congrats on your ongoing streak Tet! Enjoy your GS time.

Leslie, you are impressive. No two ways about it. Congrats on the great race.

Carolyn - has your DD set a wedding date yet? Will they get married in Colorado?

Hi Mike! How's that new stadium coming along? I see someone broke a window already by throwing a big rock in it.

Well, the heat spell finally broke and it was really nice running this morning. 6.4 miles in overcast skies, no wind and a comfortable 60° Saw a mother turkey with a bunch of little ones, 5 rabbits, 2 chipmunks and a couple of deer drinking by the pond on the trail. I wish I would have had my camera. There's also a field of sunflowers in full bloom right now. All of the heads on the flowers pointing in the same direction - pretty awesome.

Have a great Friday everyone. Good luck to all who are racing this weekend.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It is most excellent, Jeanne.  Enjoy the weather break.

Not much towards my July total, but 3.1 miles for me.  Cooled all the way down to 75° .  A little sprinkle near the end, but I don't think it was rain, just the humidity condensing out of the air.  Was hoping it would pour.  We're supposed to break around here, too.  I MAY have to mow the lawn if it finally rains.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hello everyone,

An unusual work schedule for me today so I got a early morning run before work. 5 miles easy pace. I took the last 5 days off to rest some PF and heal spur issues. It seems to be much better so I guess I will continue on as I was.

Supposed to be on vacation next week but work has still not ok'd my time off. They have moved it 3 times already and I am trying to be patient but they need to get their ----- together. I have a friend in town and we are planning some kayaking and hiking trips if I do manage a few days off.

Hope everyone has great runs today,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya.  Been a running light week all week.  Hoping to get to bed early tonight and put in something longer tomorrow.

Best of Fridays, everyone.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe Steve's sign should warn folks coming herein

Anticipated running day 15 with a two-miler down-and-back to Mary’s Falls up here in GS-land thwarted as the warm summer has raised the lake level by nine feet and trail completely submerged and closed so did a couple of laps around the nearby duck pond. 
            Sign up party tonight for tomorrow’s marathon I first ran in 1978 with my friend who it’s now named after.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. ah yes, the reason for the old joke, "You know my parents have grown smarter every year since I turned 18." Good luck!

tetsujin209 so how was the salmon? How did they prepare it?

SteveP I thought spider man was gone already. How does the guy live at home? Spiders are not exactly something you can guarantee to keep out.

stumpy77 So you looking for a job with spiders?  Come borrow some of our rain. Just go a bit south. Totally poured yesterday. We even had flash flood warnings.

Jlynne the sunflowers must be neat to see. Next run get a picture and post it here!

hallar good luck with the vacation scheduling. Sounds like a pain to get on your firm's calendar.

AamosY better light than on DL!

No run for me today. Just some time on the elliptical. Looks like my big toe's problems were due at least in part to my having my shoes too tight up front. Not just running shoes, all of them. I first thought something was up on my way to work in my walking around sneakers. After getting to the office I loosened up the front part of the shoe. Within minutes my toe started to feel better!  Since then I have done the same to the rest of my shoes and sneakers. That is one dumb way to get on the DL, even if for just a few days. Tomorrow is another crazy distance race. This one clocks in at 4.683 miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey everyone. Good streaking, tet and glad Twocat has the shoe problem figured out.  I am still in awe of Leslie’s 24 hour race, wow!  You are a rock star in my book.  How do feel today? Stumpy, we haven’t had much rain here either so that’s a lot less lawn mowing for us too.  MrStarr hasn’t been able to work or do any of that stuff all month.  Actually, the depression/anxiety is getting better but he ended up with sciatica pain last Saturday.  We waited until Monday to go in to the doctor.  After starting 3 more medicines, he was able to walk pretty well by evening and we went for a long walk.

Our apartment sale was to close today but I put that on hold while we were dealing with doctors and his health issues. When I finally told him what I had done he just broke down and cried.  It seems a lot of the stress he has is from owning this building (built in 1893). It’s been a fairly steady income over the past 17 years but now does need quite a bit of work that I didn’t really know about.  He feels guilty about that and the loss of income we will have but doesn’t want to stick money into it.  The realtor actually thinks we can get more for it on the market but I think we’d be better to just get rid of it now.

As far as running, the weather sure is awesome now that the humidity is nearly gone. I have been missing a few runs but try to keep up.  Tomorrow will be a long run day, 7 or 8 miles.  Have a good weekend everyone and fleet feet to anyone racing!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

(((Starr)))

Still no running for me but we have been doing a ton of walking.  I am hoping to try out the knee when we get back.  Heading home tomorrow with a long travel day - pick up from the shuttle is 10 am, and then we fly into Minneapolis, do a long layover then arrive in Dayton about 11:15pm.  Nice we will have Sunday to recover...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Oh Starr, I'm so sorry for all you are dealing with, and your poor DH. I sure hope he's feeling better soon.

I saw something funny on Facebook, a letter someone wrote to the mail man asking him to kill the spider that was hanging out on the mailbox and keeping the person from getting their mail. Ended with a drawing and an arrow pointing to the black circle with 8 lines (legs) saying "spider looks like this." I agree with everyone else here, Steve, your company's recruiting methods could use an overhaul.

It's been fun watching the Holly family vacation on Facebook, and here. And Twocat said it right, you're going to start getting a lot smarter here real soon.

Glad you got a break in the heat, Jlynne! As for rain, we have also been getting way too much. I took today off work and it's the worst day we've had since, well, last weekend! Thanks for starting us off with a good recap. My DS is looking forward to relaxing a bit, but knows he needs to get started on his education since he'll only have a couple years of my tuition benefit at the university, then he'll have some GI benefits but those have been cut back I hear. It will be good to have him home.

So, today I had as a vacation day, but I saw the forecast awhile ago so didn't mind losing half of it to "sick leave" for getting my implant done. Back home now and doing ok, although I can tell the numbing stuff is wearing off. Got in a run this morning in what was apparently the best weather of the day, but drove the car down to the first cross road to avoid the awful mud on our road. We got graded last week to address the potholes we've been complaining about, but now the rain has turned everything into muddy soup. Ick. Anyhow, 6.6 miles today, and not sure if I'll feel up to anything tomorrow. Gotta go find some "soft food" stuffs for dinner....

Hello everyone,

An unusual work schedule for me today so I got a early morning run before work. 5 miles easy pace. I took the last 5 days off to rest some PF and heal spur issues. It seems to be much better so I guess I will continue on as I was.

Supposed to be on vacation next week but work has still not ok'd my time off. They have moved it 3 times already and I am trying to be patient but they need to get their ----- together. I have a friend in town and we are planning some kayaking and hiking trips if I do manage a few days off.

Hope everyone has great runs today,

Larry

Larry, I think that this is crazy that you can't schedule a vacation! Hope it works out for you.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

DW and I did garden cross training.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Larry, I think that this is crazy that you can't schedule a vacation! Hope it works out for you.

+1  How could possibly make plan or reservations or buy plane tickets?  That is not reasonable.

Erika - hope you recover well and I also agree it will be nice for you to have your DS back.  When is he discharged?

Steve - nice squash!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."