Masters Running

Monday, October 8 Runs, or Not (Read 371 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of light weights and core.

DD had a stange school project over the weekend wherein she had to combine several animals to make a new one.  Instead of drawing a picture, we went to a thrift store and got some stuffed animals. I sewed together varous parts to make a cat/dog/monkey/frog.  DD felt bad for the animals with amputated parts, and sewed them up behind me to keep, so now she has a headless cat, and a legless frog and monkey.  The dog could not be saved...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Holly your DD is a Dr. Seuss wannabes. No run for me either - off to bubby daycare as my DD has to work Posting under Henrun who's doing a short run later and cheering on tufts 10k runners Marj
      coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Strange looking creature, Holly! It'll be interesting to see how DD does on her project with that...thing.

Congrats to Enke on her good 5K, and to Opie on the big PR! Some greta photos on yesterday's Daily from Steve and Troy - it is so interesting to see where everyone lives, runs, and travels.

I had a racewalking training session on Saturday, and had planned on getting in a few miles with everyone else. But a newbie came, so I spent the morning working with her to help her start to get used to the oddities of racewalking. I got in 3 laps around the track for a whopping 3/4 mile.

Yesterday, I raced the Great Island 5K road race in New Castle, NH. (I know, I was supposed to do the 1-hour racewalk. But if I skipped this race, I would have been out of our local Series, and could no longer have qualified for one of the overall racewalking awards, or for the jacket awarded to those who complete the Series.) The forecast was for rainy, chilly weather. Much to our good fortune, it was cool (about 50), but clear and sunny for the 10:00 start - IRC. I had done some quick-step drills in my warm up, and they felt pretty good, so I was looking forward to the race. Stephan (my friend who usually beats me) wasn't doing this race, so I felt I was on my own. The gorgeous course winds through the village and neighborhoods of New Castle island, with gently rolling hills the whole way. About a half mile into the race, the owner of the local running store caught up to me and asked how I was doing. I told her if I could hold my pace, I'd be OK. And that was what I worked on, constantly reminding myself to maintain that quick-step, high turnover rate, and keep those hips rotating. As usual, I targeted runners just ahead of me, and was surprised that when I got close, I could find another gear and move past them more easily than I anticipated. I finished in 31:25 with a 10:05 pace, for my best 5K in 3-4 years. I had thought that my chances of being able to get under that elusive 10:00 pace had past, but now I'm not so sure. I finished 1st in the racewalking division, and got a nice navy zippered sweatshirt for my efforts.

Today, I did an easy 4.2 miles in 45F, under clear skies with a half moon high in the sky lighting my way. Nothing special, but a nice recovery workout, and a great start to the day.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Nice racing and running (including some 20-milers!) this weekend.  And a banner day for photos yesterday.  Nice.

Holly--isnt' she a little young for genetic engineering?  And shouldn't she be doing that project?  Evil

Nice racing, Jay.

Cool 50's today.  Loved it for a short 5-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

5 Monday mornin' miles...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

Well done Enke!

4.5 easy miles this morning with my RP, gorgeous day but a bit chilly.  Now packed and off to Cleveland.  Spareribs

Dave59

Back from a weekend in Columbus Ohio for a nephew's wedding.  Ran 3 on the hotel treadmill on Saturday, and then met up with a different nephew (groom wasn't interested in a morning run) and a niece for a run (of just under 4 miles) on Sunday morning.  My niece is running the Columbus marathon in a couple weeks and aiming for a 3:30.  She was nice enough to keep yesterday's run nice and slow.

Today I had time to run a quick 3 miles in-between getting caught up on things at home and work.

Holly--isnt' she a little young for genetic engineering?

Smile

[[[[[[tag]]]]]]] and the ConeOfShame

=========

more Fun-5 Moves

............poolrun and Pt appt tomorrow

......................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Very creative thinking on your DD's project Holly...Love it!

No run for me yet this morning...After work is up in the air...we'll see.

Today DW and I celebrate 24 years. We've reached a point where I have been married for more than half of our life.

I'm interested in seeing how that genetically engineered thing moves with those long front legs and short back legs.

Nice racing, Jay!  The only race I've participated in where the finishers got something besides a tech T was American River 50.  We got really nice light weight, but very warm, jackets.

Rest day today.  Wrangled the Wilsonater under the covers for a short time, but once he started getting ansy, he got kicked outside.  Unfortunately, about an hour later the Chicanator got vocal.  Oh well.  6:00 a.m. was better than 5:00 a.m.

Put a new toy in the bird's cage and he's having a conniption fit over it.  It's a twirly thing with bells and slides onto the wooden dowel/perch.  I put it on his favorite perch, effectively cutting his perch in half.  He climbed all the way out and over the top of the cage trying to get to the other side where his mirror and treat cup with egg are.  Unfortunately, once on the other side, there's no entry, so he had to climb all the way back over to get back inside.  He has a secondary perch and a branch below his favorite perch that he can jump down to, but won't traverse to the other side to climb back up.  Instead, he climbs across the back of the cage to get to the other side.  He's cracking us up 'cause he's so PO'd about the new item.  He'll figure it out, though, and I think he'll like it.  I'll give it about 24 hours.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Great running yesterday! I was impressed with Holly's and Wildchild's 20 miler so closed after their marathon a few weeks back!!

Busy Monday at work, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed the pictures posted here lately. Holly, your DD is adorable. What a creative mama you are. 

4 recovery miles for me this morning. I will walk with my friend Ute after work! I do look forward to our weekly walk together.

Isn't fall grand!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Great running yesterday! I was impressed with Holly's and Wildchild's 20 miler so closed after their marathon a few weeks back!!

Thanks, but we both have two marathons scheduled in November - no rest for the weary.  Gotta keep training.

Holly, great picture of your DD and her weird creation, and your new kitchen counter and opening to the living room look great!

Loved the pictures yesterday from Steve and Troy.

Happy Anniversary, Slo! 

5 Garmin-less miles at lunchtime.  What a difference a day makes - yesterday I ran in long pants, long sleeves, and gloves, and today in shorts and singlet.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks, but we both have two marathons scheduled in November - no rest for the weary.  Gotta keep training.

Holly, great picture of your DD and her weird creation, and your new kitchen counter and opening to the living room look great!

Thanks for noticing the new cabinets, countertop, and hole in my wall - I love the new expanse of counter and the additional cablinets.  There are stools on the living room side, which is mostly where the kids eat now.  Smile  But I have to tell you, I don't think I will do the Crazy Turkey Marathon on 11/3.  I talked to someone who knows the race route, and it just sounded too difficult, very rugged and technical, with 1000 ft x 5 elevation gain, up and down steep ravines over and over - I don't think I would be recovered enough two weeks later for the Monkey.  I think I will instead do a very hilly LR, in and around my neighborhood - do you remember Heinicke Hill near my house?  Up and down and up and down, and still near home for drinks and bathroom breaks...Wink

Jay - congrats on 1st AG at your 5K!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey Jay, don't racewalkers taper before/after races or are you like ilene and others? 

Hey Holly, after Equinox, it doesn't seem like Crazy Turkey will do anything for doing well at The Monkey except maybe risk a mishap.  You'll be joining an elite few who've been lucky enough to do the Equinox/Monkey double in the same year.  Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

Holly I thought too, how great your kitchen looks!!    &... what Tet said.   

Leslie, is your bird happy now?      Speaking of birds... the little girl with the bird on her head (soo cute) is that you?    I'm so glad to  hear your DH is doing well Big grin

Steve, Troy,  I loved your pictures.  thank you.   I'll have to start another folder.. alongside my RA.Mary.Puppies.  : )

Steve what happened to Tag???

TomS I'm really happy to hear (well, read) that you figured out why you weren't feeling well!   I guess you were right all along... I was so sure you were just over training.  oops.   Well, you were doing a lot... but clearly that wasn't the problem.   Congrats on your 5K!

I wanted to catch up a little more but better not.   I'm still working on painting the bedroom.   For part of it I was using up old paint... I have so much of it.   I ran out of one color half way through the half of the closet, that I'm going to leave open & use as shelves.  Found a color that looked 'ok' in the basement... stirred it well & started to use it.. it's not really ok, so now I have to see if I can find anything else or close everything up for the night.   And, the can leaked.   From the bottom!  I've never had that happen before.  It's not that old.     So, I should stand up & go back there & pretend I'm a grownup & finish the cleanup.  .   the ups & downs are bugging my knee, that's my excuse. ; )