Masters Running

Tuesday, May 20th Daily (Read 548 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Seems there is a trend....parents that did not workout or run at all, then now family that is "trying" to be more healthy....hum 34 miles cycling with my triathlete buds (they are upset because I run all the time, instead of riding with them....they are like having a wife you can't please, lol) Then 6.5 very easy miles running....felt hard at first, then good. Interesting day here today. Have a great night all..... Tim PS: Need to get my butt to the pool and swim laps...1/2 Ironman in July.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Finally had a decent, no, a pretty super, run today, after a frustrating cut-back week. Funny what a little rest, less junk food (and less wheat for gluten-sensitive girl), cooler temps, and rain to wet down the pollen can do for a girl. Smile And frightening how many times I've experienced this but yet still don't seem to learn how important sleep and good food are. Roll eyes Ran a 6.5 tempo run and the middle 4 miles were just a teeny bit faster than my goal. Longest run ever on a school night. I'm still so sad about Sunday's final concert of the chamber choir I've sung with for the past 5 years. The concert was exquisite beyond description - I felt like I was singing with the Robert Shaw Chorale, except that it was with my friends. Managed to keep it together fairly well throughout the performance. OK, so I got teary about three times. Probably kept it in too well afterward - I think that's why I'm still feeling so down. It gives me a glimpse of what some of you guys go through after a marathon - feeling great about the accomplishment, but sad that it's over. And kind of lost about what to do next. I need to be singing, but the quality of this group spoiled me for most of what's available around here. Vista - hope the finger's healing Teresa - good luck with your 11 tomorrow; I'm due for my first-ever 9 miler this weekend. Thank goodness I'll be at the FLAT seashore! Deb - super pic of your dad; amazing quads, there. Wink Aamon - thanks so much for the background on Jon Lester. So many professional athletes get bad press and act like real jerks sometime. Well, here in Philly, anyway. Wink It's important to be reminded of the incredible humanity and tenacity that many, many display. Kevin - sounds like you're healing Smile seemom - 90 degrees in Colorado, and 50 here in southeastern PA. How weird is that?!? My running is one of many, many things that make me sometimes wonder whether I was adopted, in spite of the fact that I look so darn much like the rest of my family. (I'm the only musician, the only one who has traveled abroad or even wanted to, only one who went to grad school.) But my brother and I still say the same thing at the same time sometimes. Mom and Dad - both sedentary; both smoked, although mom quit 13 years ago right after dad passed away. Oldest brother - totally sedentary. Brother #2 (with whom I sometimes seem to share a brain) joined a gym when he turned 39 and goes maybe 2-3 times per week. His comment on running: "I ran 5 miles once; that was enough." Deep-sea fishing and going to Jimmy Buffet concerts are his ideas of sports. Smile Saddest is my 59 yo SIL who has been morbidly obese for as long as I can remember (I've known her since I was 2), was diagnosed with diabetes and congestive heart failure three years ago, and had a stroke this winter. She still thinks I'm going to "ruin my knees" by running. (sigh) Her daughter, my niece, is rail-thin, but not from eating healthy or exercising. Good news is that 80 yo mom is walking regularly now and is truly an inspiration in so many ways. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Good morning everyone! A showery day in Virginia. This has significance to me because I was supposed to go to cover a college baseball conference tournament this afternoon. Oh well, we will see how the day turns out as I am sure they want to get the games in. How many of you have parents who were runners?......What about grandparents? This would be interesting to hear about. I know my father would have LIKED to have done more recreation, but my mother was convinced this was not what an adult man did and managed to control his "fun" activities. Actually it was sad as I think back on it. But that was a different generation and day. Joey
        Started showery in this part of the commonwealth but got really nice at supper time. Is W&M one of the teams in your tourney? They had a good season. Family history: Dad's parents died before they were 60. Don't know if they exercised. My dad was a man ahead of his time. One day his doctor told him he had the arteries of a 50 year old and he was only in his 30's. His cholesterol was high, his BP was high and his weight was creeping up. From then on, he stopped eating red meat, he never picked up a salt shaker, used only Promise margarine, and he exercised. He would come home from work, lace up his Thom McAnn Jox Remember those shoes? Unfortunately Jox weren't a quality built running shoe and, Dad, being a frugal man, would stretch the lifespan beyond belief. He would use Shoo Goo and the vise in the basement to repair the shoes when they got worn out. Eventually he had to have arthroscopic knee surgery and was forbidden to run. So, he got a Shwynn (sp?) Air Dyne and rode that bike every night. He would turn on MASH reruns and ride and ride. He got so healthy that he was taken off his BP medications and had to buy new clothes. More unfortunately, he was a civil engineer who worked in plant maintenance for PPG in Barberton Ohio. Where he worked with a lot of asbestos. He died at age 56 from adenocarcinoma, mesothelioma, and asbestosis. He never smoked, either. My mom's family was always very athletic, mostly the women. They played tennis and golf and swam. They were very competitive. My grandparents were avid bowlers (also from SE Pennsylvania). My mom liked to ice skate, bowl, and golf. Now she likes to walk. My husband and I like to run and bike. He likes to swim, too. Our daughter likes to run and workout at the gym. DS1 likes to play basketball and lift weights. DS2 is still in high school and runs all year round. Life is good when you are active.
        LaVita

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm still so sad about Sunday's final concert of the chamber choir I've sung with for the past 5 years. The concert was exquisite beyond description - I felt like I was singing with the Robert Shaw Chorale, except that it was with my friends. Managed to keep it together fairly well throughout the performance. OK, so I got teary about three times. Probably kept it in too well afterward - I think that's why I'm still feeling so down. It gives me a glimpse of what some of you guys go through after a marathon - feeling great about the accomplishment, but sad that it's over. And kind of lost about what to do next. I need to be singing, but the quality of this group spoiled me for most of what's available around here.
          Eliz - I would love to have heard you sing in this. I hope your talent finds another outlet soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Vista, Interesting thread. Sox fans are sky high as Lester throws a no-no and the Yanks are in the cellar and in disarray! Says a lot about Jason Varitek to have caught 4 of those 18 no-hitters! My parents were very active as kids. Dad was a pretty good LH pitcher in HS until he blew out his arm from over use. Continued sports by pitching fast pitch softball (underhand didn't bother his arm) till he was 40. He use to be able to make a softball do amazing things (knuckle, curve, drop) and we used to play catch in the yard for hours when I was growing up. I think that got me and my 2 brothers and 3 sisters started in our active lives. All went on to play 3 sports in HS and some played some college ball. That has continued for all our kids, who have almost all had nice HS careers and some getting athletic scholarships. One of my sisters is into running and we regularly run local 5k's together. The rest are still active. Some hitting the gym regularly, others into rec BBall and almost all play golf regularly. My DW and I hit the gym together almost every day and a treat for me is to run an occasional 5k with her and some of my kids and my sister. Good luck with that finger! Keep up the good work...I lurk often and enjoy your threads...someday I hope to have more time to regularly respond. Fran
              Nice to read your story, Fran.
              LaVita