Masters Running

RA Masters welcome RW runners!!! (Read 769 times)

If CNY Karin can out of the woodwork, so can I.

On-and-off masters forum poster, 46. Part of CR migration in '08.

Welcome all.

Maniac 505

Welcome RW runners. and Thanks Mari for starting this. 

I am a refugee from cool running.  I think I was the first poster when the CR masters forum was started (I was posting in the CR newbie forum before that).  I ran my first marathon in Seattle in 2003 (just over 4 hours)  I ran my second marathon in Sacramento in 2005 (8 months off  with one of my many injuries in between.  Sacramento was a BQ at just a few seconds over 3:30,  I've run a total of 35 marathons, but with the position I took at work just over a year ago, my schedule has been hectic and I have fallen way out of marathon shape.

My goal right now is to get back into at least 1/2 marathon shape and concentrate on that until I retire in three years or less.

My handle is based on my vocation and avocation.  I am a licensed Merchant Marine Chief Engineer I sailed ocean going freighters and container ships for over 12 years, and I have been employed by Washington State Ferries for 22 years.  Just over a year ago I took a position as a vacation relief Chief engineer.  Each boat has an engine crew aboard 24/7.  We work 7, 12 hour shifts followed by 7 days off.  Since most people tend to take vacations when they are scheduled for nights,  and I fill in when the permanent take vacations that means I work mostly nights.  It also means I do a lot more traveling then when I had an assigned boat.   I have been having a hard time finding motivation to run on my work weeks.

The first part of my handle is I am an avid recreational SCUBA diver.  I have been a volunteer diver at the Seattle aquarium for over 20 years.

piwikiwi:  Where do you live in New Zealand?  about 25 years ago I did a lap of both islands on my mountain bike.  It was a legendary trip.

Dave

I'm just glad

they let me post here at all.

...........but, I occassionally funtion as The Voice of Reason if they're hurting themselves,,,,,,,,,,so I got THAT going for me.

We've had secret meetings about TomW . . . just saying . . . . mmmhmm.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Holy Carp! It's Dive.

I'm SteveP. Most people call me SteveP. 51 and proud owner of nearly 90 Batman shirts. I've been running since high school. I kind of messed up my back at work and every time it gets put back together, I come up with an ingenious way of being dumb. Since delivering windows and doors in the Traverse City, MI area, my miles have dropped.  Two marathons. Races of every other distance, I've lost track of. My teeth too...Some times I loose track of those. 

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

We've had secret meetings about TomW . . . just saying . . . . mmmhmm.

Not a word about Tom - he's one of my favorite reasons to come here every day.....shhhhh, don't tell Pickles...

I am another refugee from CR after Active.com took over and ruined it.  Apparently I am the moderator here, although it's been so long I've forgotten for sure....

I started running 3-6 miles/week at 32, and ramped it up to 25mpw when I get a TM at 39.....ran my first HM at 41, my first marathon at 42, my first Boston Marathon at 43, .....and now, at 47, have recently run my 22nd race at the marathon distance or farther (6 of these were 50k trail races).

I am mostly pretty slow (okay,mostly REALLY slow), not what you would call a "natural runner" but if I work very hard for a period of months, I have been known to churn out some occasionally decent races, and have been blessed to run Boston twice, in 2008 and 2010. I am hoping to "get off my arse" and try to get some speedier times in the spring, but my work and family stuff takes a lot of my energy and we shall see if I have the focus after the winter.

My 10yo DD and 15yo DS keep me busy, and if you stick around you will likely hear some of the crazy antics of my little spitfire DD. 

One thing about this forum - we often get together at races all around the country and meet in real life, and every single time, all I have ever heard from others or felt myself is/was "wow, these people really are as cool in real life!"  This is truly a wonderful group!  I recently had the privilege of flying to Alaska to stay with Erika (evanflein) to run the Equinox marathon, have also roomed with her for a marathon in Seattle in 2008 (and Mariposai, Timbo, Dove, and others) and Boston in 2010, and had the privilege of rooming with Wildchild, with OM and Slo_Hand and others getting together to run the FlyingMonkey in Nashville.  Just a couple examples of the great meet-ups that make this group special!

Anyway, welcome to one and all! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow - all these new RW Masters are a bit overwhelming!  No way I'm gonna remember who you all are!  I do remember we have one new person from Colorado, though - welcome Angela!  And welcome to the rest of you, too!

I'm a trail runner from Colorado.  I live and run at a higher elevation than the rest of you put together, maybe even including Angela!   I've been here since Coolrunning imploded, and it's a great place to hang out and find motivation to run.   I've met quite a few of the folks here in real life,  and hope to meet more.

And no, I'm not really a wild child. Joking I live and run in a wild place, and my DH and I built our own house in the mountains, but I'm really just a 50-something engineer.  I've run 6 marathons, all since late May of this year.  I have a daughter in college and two dogs who run with me.

Happy to see some old friends from CR/RA stopping in to say hi!

Happy Trails!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

baxdaddy

just another runner

baxdaddy here, it's a nickname my softball team gave me since I would miss games to coach my sons baseball teams.  I am from hot and humid Arkansas so my fav time to run is the fall when I don't get drenched after a 100 yards.  I am a late bloomer so to speak as I took up ice hockey at 45 and running at 48.

I have done 4 halves, a 15k, 2 10k's and about 30 5k's.  In 2012 I have also completed Conquer the Gauntlet, a Tough Mudder and a Warrior Dash.  I have my scheduled my first full in March, the Little Rock Marathon.

I am not a speedster but I have fun.  Running lets me clear my mind so there is no reason to be in a hurry, unless I'm racing.  I would really like to pick a destination race for 2013 and am leaning towards the USAF Marathon or half.  I have 34 years of service so it is easy to see the draw but I could change my mind.

Look forward to contributing to the insanity here and establishing some new "relationships".  Thanks for the welcome!

Oh and I have done a 1 mile dun run with my DGD (3 yo) and hope to enjoy another one with her soon.

steve

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

Walk-Jogger

Despite all the Kumbaya, hand-holding, rah-rah BS on some of these threads, the Masters Forum is really ONLY for hardcore runners who are willing to live to run; to abandon family, career and all other distractions in the pointless pursuit of speed; to run till you puke because that’s the only way to run; to push it past the limit and blow up in a spectacular flaming burst of over-reaching, age-denying, self-delusion.

You rang? I thought I heard someone talking about me just now...

Seriously though, I look forward to getting to know the Masters runners here. I'm Cecil, 57, live in the sticks in eastern WA state and have been running for 5 weeks now. Ok so I also ran for about 5 years on and off before that, and before THAT I was about 40 lbs heavier and not doing much besides walking to work for a decade or so. I was a long-term lurker and occasional poster on RWOL, and will probably do the same here from now on, if that's OK. I don't actually run till I puke, but I have been carted away from the finish line of a few of my PR races by those nice EMT folks with the oxygen tanks and such... 

Retired &  Loving It

Mariposai

You rang? I thought I heard someone talking about me just now...

. I'm Cecil, 57, live in the sticks in eastern WA state

Waving hard from the sticks in eastern WA state as well

Big grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Am I the only one here who loves to run in the spring?  After a winter of piling on the heavy layers, those first runs in shorts and t-shirt feel so liberating.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Apparently I am the moderator here, although it's been so long I've forgotten for sure....

You'd better get the handbook out and start reviewing the rules.  Some of these new folks look like trouble.

Be safe. Be kind.

........... the Masters Forum

is really ONLY for hardcore runners who are willing to live to run; to abandon family, career and all other distractions in the pointless pursuit of speed;

to run till you puke.......

...I ran til I got The Hiccups once....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Singer who runs a smidge

Waving hard from the sticks in eastern WA state as well

Big grin

Hiya, eastern WA folks!  I did my postdoc at PNNL, and discovered and married a Prosser boy!  So we make it back to your neck of the woods a couple of times a year or so!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dave59

I always like when these threads pop-up.  It's fun to get some background on people.

Welcome to the new people!

Tramps cracked me up.  He had me wondering if he was posting in the right place for a second until I slowly caught on the the humor. 

Dave59 - My name plus the year I was born.  Originally from the Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY area but have lived in Ohio, West Virgina, Texas, and now Michigan.  I started running when I was a skinny little freshman in high school.  I was at school for band practice before the school year had started and a group of 20 guys went running by.  For some reason it looked interesting and I signed up the cross country team along with a fellow band friend.

I ran 4 years of high school cross country and 2 years of track (mostly the 800).  I started on the cross country team at college but only lasted a month.  I had too many schedule conflicts with work and classes. 

I still like the fall the best.  Cool, dry weather and it always reminds me of those early cross country days.

#artbydmcbride

Hi!    Shy

Runners run