Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 06/13/09) (Read 525 times)

flatland mountaineer

5 miles on wet soft roads. Found some firmer patches to do rea pole speedwork and then ran my hill after the second set of poles. Run went well despite just not feeling it at the start. GI issues calmed down.

Carol your FIL sounds like my dad, got things to do and a schedule to keep doncha ya know! I was watching your bad weather on the weather channel, don't sound fun, and I don't really like thoooose kind of tempo's.

Arla glad you are finding a path, not fun I know.

Ya, we don't even have a garden per se, my dad never had one until he moved to town then he made the neighbors look bad. We used to save pinto and kidney beans and popcorn from our big fields but got so tired of not being able to lay off price risk (and a certain Nebraska based processor) that we quit growing them and now just grow corn and wheat.

Leslie have fun at your niece's wedding. Hoping for nice temps and clear skies!

Kelly, I'm the resident old fart around here. Happens to the best of us, look at that speedy Jack!!

Have fun at your Brooks camp and stop in as often as you can, good to hear from you!!

Joe happy mowing, maybe I could send Lynda with her mower rig so you could save your long run legs.

With all the rain we been having it sure makes keeping up with the jungle of grass a challenge, but sure thankful for the moisture.

Ev go get um at your 10k and have a ball.

Jewells hope things are ok.

Mtnchk and Doug u guys get home?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Almost forgot about Ev's race

Good Luck EV!! Go gettem' !!!!

Ev - If you want, I can come up with other ways to torture you.  Just let me know.

No, no.....you're doing fine as it is!   Nice 6er BTW.  Glad your boss is OK.

Carol, good to hear from you. 

Hey Arla you deserve a bit of a break.....but you're still getting good mileage in.  Congrats on the tomato or is it pronounced tomato?

Ultra...congrats on the 50 miler....that's just awesome.

Hey mtn.....nice pics.  looking forward to seeing some of your's.  Where'd you go?  I must have missed of forgotten.

Hey Joe,,,,,still crankin' out those 50+ weeks.....wow!

Jim....glad your feeling better....nice 5er

Got a nice 3miler in with DW this evening.  Getting ready for the Downtown Dash.  They've got a 5k and a 10K......I'll be doing the 10K.  An evening race for a change.  Starts at 8:00 pm.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Later

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Hey All - We're here in Etna.  It's 9:00 p.m., and it's been a very long day.  Started at 5:00 with getting up to work out, the driver over, going and finding the trail head for tomorrow's run, the wedding rehearsal - in rain, the rehearsal dinner - in rain.  The wedding tomorrow - good possibility of rain.  Great!  They bought a bunch of umbrellas at the dollar store, and someone came up with the $$ to put up tents all around the reception area, so we'll see.  I just hope it's not too wet for tomorrow's run - - - which I've been psyching myself out about, and not in a good way.

Dad and I drove up there, and there was a large horse trailer, 3 horses in a corral, others on the trail from my understanding, plus 8-10 cars in the parking lot.  I also talked to a guy at dinner tonight who's a forester and he said it should be fine - - - although the bears are birthing their babies right now.  Great!  But he said it's a well traveled trail for stock, and he didn't seem real worried about me being up there by myself.  I'm going to do 2 out and backs, so 4 trips of 5 each. At least that's the plan.  I'm using my hydration pack so I can carry some safety necessities, but wouldn'tcha know it? I can't find my frigging pepper spray.  I know it's here, but I just can't find it.

Anyway - I know everything will be fine.  This is just the first time I've gone into unknown territory by myself.  Told my dad that if I'm not back by 2:30, come looking for me.  So regardless of the miles, I need to ensure I'm back on the road by 1:00.

Okay, this is long enough.  Later!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning to everyone.....

Haven't had much of anything exercise related going on so haven't posted much. Sorta feel like I'm fading away with everything. I did get 2 short 2 milers in and a couple of days at the gym so it ain't over til the fat lady sings I suppose.

Weddings, races (go get em Ev), beautiful pics from Cindy (looking forward to the ones you took), glad Jim is feeling better and getting in some great runs. Joe is still crankin' them out. Great job.......nice hearing from Kelly, and congrats on the 50 mile race. Arla, glad to hear your mom is doing O.K. and sounds like your busy with everything. I bet your glad it is summer. Hello to Carol.......

Enjoy your weekend everyone.......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Ran 2 in my light trainers (miz elixars) at variable whatever I felt like pace. Lynda went to run club.

Leslie take a look at the nav features on your 305, its got a neat trackback feature for foreign terrain.

Jewells you just had a temporary derailment with all the goings on, you'll back on in your own time. We like to hear from you either way

Ev don't know the answer to the ? u asked Arla but I think it rhymes with potato  

Interesting start time on your race, good luck.

hauling fert to the pivots, better get to work.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Today was my niece's wedding, and it was beautiful.  I kept it together until it was time for family pictures, then I sort of lost it.  See, there was a very significant person missing from the day, and that was my mother.  My heart ached that she was not here to share in this joy with the rest of my family.  My mom's grandchildren, Cody and Brandi, meant the world to her, and she to them.  They were young when she died, 4 and 6 I believe, but they remember her - because we won't let them forget.  She loved them with every fiber of her being, and she would have been so very happy for her granddaughter today, for Brandi has married a very fine young man, Josh.

(After shoving cake in each other's face)

I wish them all the happiness in the world.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Now there's a good looking couple.  Young and in love.....ah, aint it sweet!  I bet to music was good too.

Hey Jewels.  Evrything in good time. 

Jim do you run the fert through the pivots, mixing it with the water as it irrigates?  Oh, it rhymes with potato.....gotcha ya.

The 10K was good.  I rode down with a running buddy of mine.  We ran track in HS together.  He's a much more accomplished running than me and we had a good time.  As I mentioned the race began at 8:00 PM.  I'm not sure of the temp. but it was very humid.  There was a fairly nice breeze that helped out.  About 400 runners in the 5K and not quite 200 in the 10K.  This was the first year for the race.  I believe both women and men's divisions set course records.

My friend, Doug, finished 4 of 18 in AG.  46minutes and change.

I finished 8 of 18 in same AG.  52:08.

My goal was 52:42 (8:30 pace)  I finished 52:08 (8:25 pace). 

Got back home late last night and slept like a new born.  Good runs/walks and life to all.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

13.14 Long run today....... Maybe if I keep up this runnin' stuff maybe someday I'll be able to complete a half-marathon somewhere.......

Anyway kind of a hybrid run today as I ran a 1 mile warmup in my new shoes then came back to the house and stretched all my prob areas, changed shoes and then grabbed my water bottle and headed out. The 1 miler served many purposes, check out my new shoes without committing on a LR, work out my prob areas while warm and make sure I didn't have any gi issues that were gonna pop up later. Rest of the run went pretty well, new shoes felt better than what I was wearing so probably safe to try them on an intermediate type run. Felt a little tired about 8 but a hit of gatorade and I was good to go again. I encountered hardly any traffic and temps were cool with cloudy skies.

In the TMI category am doing well with the gi thing. I don't know what caused it but threw the shotgun approach at it with diet, prilosec, no alcohol, and limit on the Dew which was the hardest part. I am down to last yrs racing weight so thats good, not that I couldn't lose another 10 to get to where I was at when I was a lean mean ropin' machine.

Nice pic Leslie, yes I'm sure your mom would be proud. Nice that you honor her with your memories and congrats to the new couple.... I take it you didn't get lost on your run in new territory or are u doing it today?

Ev nice racin' there young man!!! Sounds like you had a good time and achieved your goals. And wow race records in both mens and womens races....what are the chances

And yes we inject a liquid urea, ammonium nitrate, ammonium thiosulfate solution in the irrigation water. It works really well as you can spoon feed the crop the nutrients it needs at the time and amount it needs it and use less of everything. There are four layers of failsafes to keep the fert out of our groundwater , its well regulated and the equipment is inspected annually.

Hi to everyone else have a great whats left of the weekend!!

Woohoo...Ev, that's a nice 10K!  VERY nice pace.  Is that a PR for you? 

Jim, let me see...13.14 miles....sounds like a half marathon to me.  Maybe next time you could do it with a few other people Wink.

Leslie, that bride and groom are positively glowing.  Your mom sounds like a warm, loving person.  Bet she'd also be proud of her daughter these days.

Jewels, sounds like a whole lotta life going on for you these days.  When I get down on myself about not running / working out "enough", I try to remember that I'm still faster than my couch....at least most of the time! 

Joe, hope the job is better.  Sounds like you and Kelly have a friendly little competition going there. 

Arla, hope you and your mom are coping OK with the changes.  Running definitely helps.

5 miles running + 2.5 miles walking yesterday with my running friend.  H & H is here to stay I'm afraid.  This is the time of year I really would like to flee to some cool mountain home (hey Cindy Smile.  Funny thing is, my job would allow me to do it now, but unfortunately it would not cover the bills for two houses, and my husband's employer is not as tolerant of telecommuting. 

Off to dinner at a friend's house soon...yippeee...getting out of cooking again.   Happy runs and such to you all! 

Progress Trumps Pefection