Masters Running

Monday 3/3 Master Boomer Runs (Read 629 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I seem to be the first one here, so I'll start with a non-running post.
    Holly who was that marathoner that thought the Pace Leader was going too slow and took off on her own and finished off a super-strong marathon with energy to burn?
    Bill - right now, I have no idea who that woman was. I must admit that I am extremely discouraged that my 4th long slow 20-miler yesterday seemed every bit as tough as the first 3, even with nicer weather. I’m still waiting for that feeling of fitness and endurance to arrive. My body seems sooo sloowww to adapt. This running thing just doesn’t come naturally to me. I don’t have the gift, I just have dogged determination. I can only hope that March and the taper will work a miracle when the time comes. BTB, last week was a stepback week for me, but it didn’t seem to help. My consolation is that, if I remember correctly, last training cycle it was my 5th 18-20-miler that I had a run where I felt it kick in. In 2 weeks, when I’m scheduled for my next 20-miler, we’ll see. Some excellent races yesterday – great job! PJH – congratulations on #4 grandchild on the way. No run for me today – x-training instead: alternating side lunges, bench step-ups; sit-squats, ballet squats, split squats; single leg bridges, forward lunges, then dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, seated bent-over raises, and a 12-minute ab/core video.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

After yesterday's race this is my day off too. But, after getting smoked by my "rival" in the last 3/4 mile I have decided there is just one solution. Ok, two. One would be to find an easier to beat rival. Wink Since that seems to be out of the question due to my personality flaws the other solution is to drop a couple of pounds. So, here is my March resolution -- to have my scale show six pounds lighter than it showed this morning when I stepped on it. I started this morning with a controlled breakfast. Last summer I dropped several pounds and pretty much kept them off. So I know I can do it. Yes, this is just a public commitment device but what the heck maybe it will work!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Holly, don't get discouraged. 20 milers are never easy. And persistence is never a bad thing. Truth be told, the last 6 miles of my 18 miler yesterday were a real struggle. I didn't think I was moving well at all - in fact it felt slow - but turned out to be 8:45 pace. You're right in the middle of marathon training and we both know how hard that can be right there. You're in better shape than you feel I suspect. Taper will do it's magic and that strong feeling will emerge. Hang in there! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, 18 more days 'til spring but it feels like spring here this morning...40F and sunny. 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace...less than 2 weeks to go before Virginia Beach. I"m hoping for this kind of weather! Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

King of PhotoShop

Yes, Cat, definitely get rid of that chick. She is too fast for you and will kill your ego. Interesting point about the weight. Dale points out in his other thread that a weight loss is a sure-fire way to improve VO2 max. Many forget that the number is a ratio. We all have to be careful about losing weight while maintaining a heavy running schedule however. Hey, as to those cutback weeks, I never felt the benefit of a cutback week in the following week. I think you feel it in the week after that. Anybody else experience that? We had rain and sleet here in KS last night. I heard it hammering against my hotel window. Haven't been out yet. Resting my foot. Spareribs
              Well, at least there was just a touch of Spring in the air this morning, with temps in the high 30s, which feels mild at this time of year. I blew away February's total miles with an easy 1.5-mile run this morning. Unfortunately the leg did not feel as good as I'd hoped, and I'm wondering where to go from here. I think I'll try again on Wednesday and evaluate if it feels better or worse. If it's worse, I might be looking at another month of no running Sad. I'm watching the progress of all you doing the long runs and marathon training these days. You're all doing greta, despite what you might think from day to day. I just wish I could post some good mileage myself for a change. Have a good running day & week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Good morning, all! Looks like it's a sleep in day. Holly - thanks for waking us up this morning. Hang in there - I'm sure you're in better shape than you think you are. Twocat - good luck with the weight loss effort! The Sunday morning trail run only lasted for a mile and half before the voice of reason intervened and told me to quit before I broke something. There were vast expanses of solid ice with little room or no room to go around. I opted for plan B which was 15 tempo miles on the Connecticut College track. The wind was whipping with temperature around 21 when I started, but the sun was out and warming my face for at least part of each lap. Jesse and I hiked 2 hours on Saturday and an hour and 45 minutes yesterday - through some beautiful glacial rock formations. It snowed 4-5 inches Friday night and then the temp rose on Saturday morning, so the Saturday walk was slushy at best. It froze solid overnight on Saturday, so the Sunday walk was icy and treacherous. I opted for a very easy 5.5 mile run on the treadmill with average heart rate in the 130's. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Dave59

Today is the official start to getting back in the program. I started with a good workout at the gym and tomorrow the running will begin. I considered a run on the TM after my workout, but we had contractors coming to work on the basement and I didn't want to risk them having to wait for me. And I am happy to say they did arrive today and are getting started (because you just never know with contractors.) This is totally out of context, but I thought of it when Holly mentioned the tough 20 milers. I'm pretty sure Paul wasn't discussing marathon training. From Romans 5:3-4: "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope."

Marathon Maniac #957

From Romans 5:3-4: "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope."
                    Thank you, Dave - those are very good words. I think I'm going to print that out and put it on my refrigerator to meditate on during those long runs when I begin to feel discouraged.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Interesting discussions this morning. Easy 6.6 @ 8:52 for me. Already 50F heading for the mid-60's today.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! SR.. I agree. if you don't see benefits of a hard workout for 10 days you probably don't see the benefits of a cutback for 10 days either. We'll see, I'm doing a pace cutback this week.. nothing hard. If suffering produces endurance and it takes 10 days to kick in, I can't wait til next week. That relay was like three 10K races within 17 hrs with no sleep.... suffering... and loving it Big grin 2 Magical Healing Miles with Tory real sloooow. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good Morning, I am waiting to get connected to a conference call and reading the daily thread is far more interesting than listening to the groovy muzak..... Holly, hang in there! I always find that it's at this point in my marathon training that I feel most challenged. On the one hand, I have logged lots of miles and filled up the running log with many comments and observations and then on the other hand, there are still several weeks of miles and workouts to go and I could just as easily burrow deeper under the covers. Even after 32 years of running and 27 marathons---each year brings about new learnings during the training cycles and of course in each race. I guess what I am trying to say in somewhat clumsy fashion is that your determination, consistent focus and open heart will get you to the starting line and the finish line with strength. I have seen you run and I'll say right now that it does look natural to me. So there! Dave59's posting said it all. Rochrunner---I am sorry that you aren't where you want to be running wise, but I am glad you are being careful. I am cheering for you and hoping that with just a bit more rest, you'll be back and in time for the real lasting spring weather. Twocat.....I second what Spareribs said---be careful about the weight thing. I always feel like it's a razor thin balance at this point in marathon training. SueT48---15 miles around the track? Way to go----that's awesome. This is a cut back/step back week for me and I too don't feel the benefit until the following ramp-up week. I often feel sluggish and heavy during the cut back week. Six miles on tap for me later today----highs will hit 45F or so. Yikes, the call moderator has just been announced. Time to focus! CNYrunner
                            Just 6 cruise miles this morning with T at an 8:05 pace...little bit of drizzle... That was a nice run yesterday Bill...
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              I appreciate the training-weight loss cautions. FWIW, last summer I dropped several pounds (while training) and found that helped my times improve more than training! Stomachs are an evil joke perpetrated by nature. Mine, at least, thinks I should double my current weight. Once upon a time way back in 1992 it started getting closer to its goal. Since those food filled nights I have dropped 25 pounds. My stomach is always battling back. So far I have managed to hold it off. But it is never easy. I see others post here trying to lose weight. It is tough. Racing is my defense. When I see a cookie I try to look at it as something I would now have to carry around in the next race. Then it stops looking quite as good. Still, it does look good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

. I second what Spareribs said---be careful about the weight thing. I always feel like it's a razor thin balance at this point in marathon training.
                                I believe that the best time for weight loss in during base training. Do not try to lose weight on purpose during marathon training. You might lose a little bit, but it's best to make sure you get rehydrated and refueled (esp carbs for gylcogen rebuilding) during the marathon training block ----------------------------------------------------- 3 really slow recovery miles for me-untimed