Masters Running

Living History Farms Cross Country Race (Read 213 times)

selb3

This event is held annually the last Saturday before Thanksgiving, this was the 30th year. The run is on the grounds of the Living History Farms, outside of Des Moines, Iowa. I first ran the race in 2001, when there were about 3300 runners, over a 5.3 mile cross country course. The event has mushroomed over the years, and is now a 7 mile event, with over 7500 runners. I from Omaha to Des Moines with my friend Peg, leaving about 5:45 a.m. Temps were in the high 20s with a nice breeze. We made it in more than enough time to pick up our numbers and shirts, use the facilities, etc. The start was packed, and I didn't feel the need to try and muscle my way up near the start line. I started in the middle of the pack. This allowed me to keep a fairly steady pace, and work my through the crowd over the first 3 or so miles. The first 4 miles was pretty much run cross-country style through fields. There was only one creek crossing in the first 4 miles. The real run begins in the last 3 miles. Through the woods, hills, 8 additional creek crossings, some with banks steep enough that there are ropes draped down the hillside to assist in getting out. After the first couple of times of jumping in and getting soaked to at least mid-thigh, one becomes accustomed to the numbness and heavy shoes. Saw lots of costumed runners, as there are team events. Lots of high school and college kids participate. Saw a guy dressed in only a loin cloth and Indian headress, he ran bare foot. Saw Santa and his reindeer, lots of bridesmaid dresses, and leisure suits. Some super heroes and ninja turtles. Friend Peg finished 5th in her age group, one measly second out of getting a prize, as they only went 4 deep for her group. She finished in 1:01 or thereabouts. I was about 6 minutes behind her, finishing in 1:07 and something. I think I was in the top 1,175 or so. We met up, went back to the car, got into some dry clothes, and headed back for donuts and hot cider. Drive back to Omaha we hit some bad snow squalls. Lots of cars in the ditches. We came through unscathed. Dave
      Sounds like a tough one Dave...glad you finished and got home safely
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Dave, I saw the pictures online and have looked at their website other years you have done this race. Part of me says that it looks like fun. Another part says you're out of your mind. Good job. Tom
        wildchild

Carolyn

Doing those creek crossings in costumes must be a challenge! Except the super heroes might have an advantage... Cool race; congrats to you and Peg!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Photos http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=D2&Date=20081122&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=1122001&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=7. Number 7 in the slide show (Team "The Runaway Brides") made the front page of the Des Moines Register.
              OK....I've got to do a race like that someday. Nice job selb3!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Tramps

Creek crossings with temps in the 20s and open fields with wind, huh? Think I'll pass on that one. You are adventurous. Well done.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

After the first couple of times of jumping in and getting soaked to at least mid-thigh, one becomes accustomed to the numbness and heavy shoes.
                  Yikes! I think I'd rather do this one in the summertime...nice job, though!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yikes! I think I'd rather do this one in the summertime...nice job, though!
                    um ya - i'm with you Holly -- i was thinking it looked like fun until i saw those water pictures - i'm way too much of a wimp for that!! lol nice job Dave and Peg!!

denise

Sounds like quite the shindig!!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance