Masters Running

Saturday November 17 Monkey-Ready Runs (Read 356 times)

My DH's take on her age-group question was that everyone thinks they look a lot younger than they do.  So it is not that I look 11 years older than I am, but that she thinks she looks 11 years younger than she is.  That was nice of him to say!

My Dad taught me how to change a flat when I was about 7 years old.  Too young, I'm sure I didn't have the strength to get the bolts off and just watched.

Looking forward to the Monkey business reports.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

6 hours of Defensive Tactics training today....Boy am I sore....but I gave as good as I got...

Holly-Sorry about your credit card woes...that sux...try not to think about it tomorrow...Rawk the Monkey!!!

I will try to get a run in tomorrow between the rain storms...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      wildchild

Carolyn

I've already met a bunch of cool RA  folks at the Flying Monkey pre-race packet pickup and impromptu party in the lobby of the Microtel!  Here's a picture of SloHand with the RA wimmin folks.  More pictures to come tomorrow! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

aka FlyingFinn

You all look like you're having fun, especially Slo! Good luck tomorrow!

We went out for pizza tonight and Jocelyn slept in her seat the whole while we ate. Then we came home and watched The Princess Bride and she slept in my arms the whole while. I'll soon be seeing even more of her as her mommy returns to work in a couple of weeks and I've offered to babysit on Fridays. 

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Nice picture!  Slo doesn't look like he's enjoying himself at all. Smile

Holly - That stinks about the credit card.  It happened to us a few years ago while we were in Australia.  We took 3 different cards with us and notified all three companies where we were going and for how long.  When a suspicious charge showed up, they placed a hold on the card we had been using.  Didn't know, of course, until we tried using it one day at a hotel.  The manager was really nice and let me use his phone to call the company.  The company had no choice but to cancel the cards.  Fortunately, we had brought the other two cards with us just in case.

Jay - Very sorry to hear about your friend, but how wonderful that he and his wife were able to spend a lot of time preparing themselves and were at peace.

Didn't have a chance to get in here yesterday as I was working my rear end off trying to get loose ends tied up before I went on vacation for a week.  I did what I could do, and that's all I could do.  The hardest part is not worrying about how the ladies take care of the bird. Wink  It's a stay-cation as we can't afford to go anywhere, but I'm looking forward to time at home.  Maybe I can even get all my transcription done.

4 EZ miles yesterday morning, followed by an hour of core and upper body ST.  Today it was 10 trail miles out at Headwaters.  I could definitely feel the extra ST training, but I'm very pleased with how the run went.  I worked the hills harder than I have been, and ran up sections I normally would have walked.  It threatened rain all morning and started drizzling when I was about a mile from the car.  When I got done, I walked around for about 5 minutes to cool down, took all my crap off and got in the car, and about 5 minutes later, the skies opened up and it dumped for about 3+ hours.  Talk about lucky!

So there's a section of the Elk River Trail up towards the top of the climb that always turns into a muddy, snotty, slippery, shoe-sucking mess.  Lots of waist-high ferns, alder trees - it's a fun section to try and navigate.  Seriously, it's fun!  I hadn't been all the way to the top in almost a year and was looking forward to sliding through there.  . . . . . . . . . They've totally groomed!   Tore out the ferns, took out the trees, and groomed it with crushed rock.  It looks like a freaking park.  It sucks!!  Evil  I understand it was probably done for erosion control purposes, but it still sucks.  Completely changed the whole atmosphere of a big section of the trail.  I popped around a corner, not knowing what had been done, and WHAM!  It looks completely out of place and was total jolt to the senses.  Literally stopped me in my tracks as my brain tried to register what I was seeing.  Bummer.  Total bummer. Dead   . . . . . . but I still had a great run. Smile

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Changing tires?

Isn't there an app for that?

Snork!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So there's a section of the Elk River Trail up towards the top of the climb that always turns into a muddy, snotty, slippery, shoe-sucking mess.  Lots of waist-high ferns, alder trees - it's a fun section to try and navigate.  Seriously, it's fun!  I hadn't been all the way to the top in almost a year and was looking forward to sliding through there.  . . . . . . . . . They've totally groomed!   Tore out the ferns, took out the trees, and groomed it with crushed rock.  It looks like a freaking park.  It sucks!!  Evil  I understand it was probably done for erosion control purposes, but it still sucks.  Completely changed the whole atmosphere of a big section of the trail.  I popped around a corner, not knowing what had been done, and WHAM!  It looks completely out of place and was total jolt to the senses.  Literally stopped me in my tracks as my brain tried to register what I was seeing.  Bummer.  Total bummer. Dead   . . . . . . but I still had a great run. Smile

me too.

I have to wear reinforced thongs or they get chewed up.

One guy ruined his Vibram Five Fingers and had to get a ride out on the ATV SAG

the mountain cyclists on the rails-to-trails they've runined hate it too.

ps  - I hate slo-hand.even more.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)