Masters Running

Wannaberunner's Pittsburgh HM RR (Read 324 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

(posted for her by Holly, because this deserves a thread of its own)  

At Karin's request I am posting my RR for this race.  Thanks for asking.  I'm not a writer.

Kristen's Pittsburgh Half Marathon

I promised myself and Nobby no PR today just a good solid run. So, I started in the back of the 10min pace group trying to find a friend and a porta potty. No luck with either. Ever so slowly we started. I set my iPod on easy listening music to hopefully pace myself. I have to say the whole run seemed pretty darn "Nice and Easy". That was the plan and I stuck to it! For ONCE! OK, well it was plan B when I couldn't find my pal who I was planning to pace to go under 2:00. That was plan A but at least I never pushed myself. I was focused on my form. Arms in. Abs in. Steady pace. 

Mile 1 Here comes the rain! Wishing I would have worn my ball cap. But, oh well. I'll just blink a lot. 

Mile 2 I jump on and off the sidewalk a dozen times trying to get around folks. Why do I do this every time? This was my first really big race. I want to go out slow but I'm done with starting so far back. I just don't run that pace and I think it is OK to accept that. I just need to control myself a little further up in the pack. 

Mile 3 - 5 Just rolling along having fun. Loving Pittsburgh. Spot a friend from the gym, core strength class instructor who gives me a shout out and takes my photo! 

Mile 6 -7 More of the same. Decide to practice having some water during a race. FAIL!!! I slowed down but didn't walk. Water was all over me and my right shoe. What was damp is now soaked. Choked a bit on the little gulp I attempted and I bailed on my attempt. It is a rainy damp day and I really hydrated well the last few days. I decide that no more fluids will be attempted today. Still have to pee but I try not to think about it. 

Mile 8 - I spot Mike (dreamless sleep) and Rob (rnwalker7) running together as we are crossing the West End Bridge! Cool! They had started in the 8:30 pace group. I decide to jump in front and act like I didn't see them. Ha! Mike grabs me and gives me a slimy sweaty kiss.  They both wish me well and off I go. Oh, I just have to mention that I also pass the #1 runner on my high school cross country team here.  She ran the whole marathon.  Yay Jayne!  But it still felt good. 

Mile 9 - 10 Rolling, rolling, rolling! Did quite a bit of high fiving here. Tons of military were there and some drunk fellas. Saw one runner guy really losing it and pass out. Freaked me out a bit. I wanted to help him but realized there were lots of nonrunners available. I felt so bad for him. I guess that won't be the last time I witness something like that if I keep up this running hobby. I just didn't like it. Made me wonder about my water decision but I felt great so I'm sticking with it. 

Mile 11 - Marathoners split and I am jealous. Feel the urge to go with them. I'm not ready yet, but I will be. Patience. 

Mile 12 All good. See another friend on the Smithfield bridge. Cheese! Wishing I had looked at the course map. I don't know where we are going to finish. Dummy. 

Mile 13+ I get happy, just like my first HM. I start high fiving again. Cheerleaders and little kids and pretty much anyone sticking their hand up! Toward the end I race some guys and chick several of them. No one passed me running to the finish. Clowning around! Again I felt like I could keep going! Yeah! 

Photo shoot was fun. Ya know I love that! Had my picture taken with 2 bare chested hunky dudes. I waited there hoping my husband would be there soon. 5 min later there he was! When I got in the photo line with him the photographer said "You're back!" I said "Shhhhh!" Ha! Ha! I can't wait to see them. 

Gatorade and banana taste yummier than usual. No thanks on the plain bagel or smiley face cookie. Mike heads for the massage tent. I just bounce around looking for friends. Happy as a clam! 

I made some mistakes and I did some things right. I am writing this the following morning. I feel so much better than after my first HM. My hip was unnoticeable during the race and feels the same as the day before. Victory! 1:44:53  

Looking forward to a little recovery run this am. Looking forward to my first marathon in Sept! 

Type Distance Time Total Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
    Interval 1 Mi 9:03.13 9:03.13 9:04      
    Interval 1 Mi 8:43.21 17:46.34 8:44      
    Interval 1 Mi 8:34.64 26:20.98 8:35      
    Interval 1 Mi 8:07.03 34:28.01 8:08      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:56.96 42:24.97 7:57      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:54.67 50:19.64 7:55      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:28.18 57:47.82 7:29      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:37.23 1:05:25.05 7:38      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:42.66 1:13:07.71 7:43      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:39.92 1:20:47.63 7:40      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:40.29 1:28:27.92 7:41      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:29.36 1:35:57.28 7:30      
    Interval 1 Mi 7:41.52 1:43:38.80 7:42

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Started off easy and then just nailed those later miles. Great job! And sounds like you had a lot more in you with all the bouncing around afterward. Can't wait to see the pictures! You have to come back and post them, ok?

Marathon Maniac #957

Wannaberunner – wow – look at those splits!  You are fast!  Great job!!

How is it that, in a crowd of 17,000 runners, you keep running into people you know? 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wannabe, that was a great race you ran.  You almost made it a progression run.  Congratulations.

TomS

mistakes??   i dont see any mistakes ...........  you are amazing!!  that was a great race and some speedy miles!!

congratulations!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

You definitely need to change your user name - wannaberunner just doesn't fit very well!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I look my best blurry!

I'm afraid to change it.  I don't want to be overly optimistic.  I think I'll always wannabe a runner anyway!
                  Great splits!  Just gettin' faster and faster.  Nicely done!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    That's the way to do it, start slow and hi five everyone in and out of the race!  Yes, you need a name change.  I am mostly jealous of that picture of you and Meb, I sure hope it isn't a cut-out!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I look my best blurry!

It is not a cut out!!!  I really met him.  We talked about his hip stress fx and mine.  I told him that I wanted to make a come back and win NY.  He said he would see me there.  Of course he will be willing to hunt through the masses of people to find me.  Ha! Ha!  I met his brother and had a pic with him too.  He knows Nobby and told me how great he thought he was.  I chatted with Hal Higdon and his wife.  They are both so nice.  It was really exciting for a wannabe!  It was an awesome morning.  I got so lucky.  No photo shop.  I did crop out the winner of the PGH Marathon last year Kassahun, who was on my other side.  He was also very friendly but didn't speak much English.
                        What a fantastic race you ran! I'm jealous of those paces. And good luck with your marathon training. You'll do great in September!

Amazing splits!  Congratulations.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance