Masters Running

So it begins again - 2.1.17 (Read 38 times)

Henrun

3 miles along the Riverwalk today in 70 temp and sunny. We headed to the local museum after eating our lunch on the Riverwalk watching boats going up and down the Intercoastal. At the museum the art exhibit was tied in with Opera arias. This evening we drove to the beach area for a wonderful Greek meal. Only 2 more weeks of this before we head back home to reality.

Speaking of reality I received an email from a classmate who is organizing our 60th med school reunion in 2 years and discussing our mortality issues as many of our classmates are no longer with us. Makes me appreciate more and more my health and my ability to enjoy travel and running no matter how slow it is now.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Makes me appreciate more and more my health and my ability to enjoy travel and running no matter how slow it is now.

Makes us appreciate you even more-and-more too.

Way too many reminders all around us

of how lucky we are, though.

The "balmy" afternoon only got up to 37

and clouds creeping over the horizon

masked the expected scenic views

along the way back.

9.5 miles for the day.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Evening everybody. Very busy in here today.

Ran 5 miles with our Runners Club group tonight and had a nice social after. Reminds me that running is a social activity not just a solitary activity.

I get it Holly. Ours is in Vegas. Sane deal. No hooky.

Im just getting to thatbphase in life where my friends and xlassmates are passing. Makes me appreciate things more.

Gotta go. Have a great one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I think I'd rather spend my money on those mittens than those socks.  My hands FROZE today!  17o and 14 mph headwind for the second half of my run.

I called Ryan on my way home from work and we talked about our training and our upcoming races.  So I was pretty pumped when I went to do my tempo run.  Because I'm trying to ease into more intense training, I had planned on doing 6 miles at a 7:27 pace...but, with wind at my back and the adrenalin from talking to Ryan, I did my 1st mile in 6:51...which is where I would rather be at anyway...so I kept up that intensity and went through the 2nd mile in 6:49.  When I did the 3rd mile in 6:51, I thought, "I'm gonna have to talk to Ryan before every run from now on."  Well, I managed to do the 4th and 5th miles in 6:48 and 6:53, but by the 6th mile, the wind had taken its toll on me and I could only squeak out a 7:04.  On my 1 mile cool down...still into the cold wind...and with every muscle in my body throbbing with pain, I thought, "I am NEVER talking to that kid before a run again!"

Okay--gotta get to bed.  See ya!

MikeE that is blazing fast!!!

great runs out there today!!

Jay - thanks for the recap!!

Henry - love you!!

no run today but I am officially on vacation and don't report back to work until 2/14 - unless I decide to "play hookey"  (just kidding)

denise

evanflein

Impressive run, Mike. So much of running is mental, right?

Henry, when I hear "riverwalk" I think of San Antonio, but you're in FL, right? What part? I hear Dave is headed to Tallahassee soon...

I got out for a run later than planned, and as the sun went down it sure got cold! It was 10° earlier in the day, with bright sunshine and blue skies... really pretty. But I was busy with this and that and by the time I got out the sun was going down (4:30'ish). 5.1 miles done at about -5° and I really wasn't dressed for it. If you're dressed for it, that's not a bad temp for running. But if you're missing some key equipment, geez that feels cold.

SteveP

I can’t imagine Ron Hill’s record of a workout every single day for 52 years/39 days!

How many pairs of shoes????

Fatozzig, I love my chiropractor even though I haven't seen him since last fall.

Holly, I agree. When I liquidated lumber yards, occasionally my boss would say, "You'll get to see some of the countryside.". It's in the dead of night when everything is closed.

TwoCat, I'm glad you got your what the heck every medical thingy checked.(I can't pronounce a lot of that stuff). We're pretty fond of you here.

WOW MikeE.

3 miles after work. It got heated, but I stuck to the resolution of being out by 5:00 PM M-W-F.

Oh yeah...booked a flight to FL. Dad's going under the knife Thursday AM.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

3 miles after work. It got heated, but I stuck to the resolution of being out by 5:00 PM M-W-F.

Good for you!  Best wishes for your dad's surgery....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Henry, when I hear "riverwalk" I think of San Antonio, but you're in FL, right? What part? I hear Dave is headed to Tallahassee soon...

lots of communities are updating the area around the river and the term of riverwalk is not trademarked like macdonalds (we just saw founder). we're in fort lauderdale and it's the tarpon river.  it's about 1.5 miles on each side.  the bridges raise to let humongous yachts go through. today we're taking a 'jungle cruise' down the river and the intercoastal.

steve -  ((dad))