Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 7.8.17 (Read 39 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I feel like such a dork for using the word "dork", yesterday.

That was very nice of you, Dave.  Who knows what might have happened to that lady without your help.

wild--it is just amazing to me that you have done 15 marathons and 17 ultras since 2012.  That's...well...it's wild.

I did what you did, Erika, and came up with 252 races since I started keeping track in 1994.  I was going to separate them by distance, but I'll save that for another day.

I did abut 7.3 miles today with a friend on some trails.  They weren't fast but it was fun running with somebody for a change.

Debbie is on a jigsaw puzzle kick.  I cannot stand wasting time putting those stupid things together.  But I get sucked into them and can't stop.

Okay--that's all I've got for now.  See ya!

C-R

Hey Everyone.

Dave - very kind of you. Try putting the table in rice for a few days. Worked great when I dropped by Blackberry in the toilet. Two days in rice and it worked great.

I suspected lots of races in here but wow!

Played 18 this morning with the men's league. Not a good score but a good 18 walked. Oddly I am the only walker out of the group of maybe 80 players. And I am not the youngest out there. I'll try again tomorrow morning to play better. Managed 4.4 miles this afternoon at recovery pace. Long run tomorrow.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

RIP Daves tablet...no good deed goes unpunished. 

Unfortunately, too true.

glad it was only a tablet, . . . whatever that is.

KSA - my worst by far was paying $350 in those days for the inaugural IMCdA

and getting a sky blue, cotton t-shirt that was barren blank on the back.

Fortunately, unlike most of the finishers, I had one from 1987

that more than made up for it.

ps - after one of the local barefoot runners complained the Seattle Marathon shirts had so much advertising logos on the back that there was no room for where the marathon was, they started adding "Seattle Marathon - (year)" to the back too.

After four feet+ of rain in record-setting rainy days last winter and through June, it hasn't rained in three weeks since 6/18 and another week of sun and moon and more are on the forecast, perfect tonight's local Seafair fireworks over Lake Washington at 10pm with the full moon rising over the Cascade Mountains.  No wonder I love running so much.

tammy - good luck in "tomorrow's 100"

and to wildchild and ziggy and others too

when they do their kind of 100.

neither are easy.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I was up and out on time this morning for 4.6 RW miles in 61° temps and 98% H. As relatively cool as it was, the H didn't feel as bad as it was. Now I'm heading out for breakfast with DW, and then I have a racewalking training session on the track at 9.

Have a greta Saturday, whatever shirt you're wearing!

Jay

Jay, yes, the humidity goes down as the temperature rises. I was reading about the “dew point” this week. The meteorologist’s are always blabbing about in on the TV weather…. Ours is “comfortable” right now but will be in the “sticky-uncomfortable range” tomorrow.

We just got back from a shopping trip and I've only read the first couple of posts. so sorry about your tablet, Dave.  That was sweet of you to help the lady find her way home. It's easy to get turned around when the roads circle around and they all look the same.

Holy crap, Paul, 50 miles!   I think I'd die. Do you take breaks? What is your average speed?

We don't have a bike shop in town so took both of our road bikes over to Sioux Falls.  MrStarr's was an easy fix but mine needs a tune-up. I rode a couple of miles this morning and recorded the squeak (honking) sound.   Yeah, I'm a geek but they thought it was helpful.  We got a lot of errands done and picked up some bushes and perennials 60% off. JoAnn Fabrics send me coupons all the time so I finally got to use a 50% off there too.  Also, we saved A LOT at Kohl's with all those discounts. MrStarr finally got some new shirts that he needed.  We stopped at Sonic for a cold treat for the ride home. Uff Da, do I feel lousy after eating that. I've never been there before so had no idea what to order. I did have the menu pulled up on my phone, that's kinda nice.

Anyway, have a greta rest your the weekend. I did run for about 3 miles this morning after I put the bike away. I am starting to pack for my trip to Germany. My sister got out of the hospital yesterday so I hope she feels better and won't have to cancel on me. It's a tour with 100 people so I'll know most of them.  On the other hand, if she does go and the diverticulitis flares up on the plane or while we're in Germany, that could be a bummer.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Here is my cell phone post race report. Finished 80 and over a minute slower than last year. Time to lose weight and do more speed work.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, I'm curious how you guys count relays when adding up races.  I've done 2 relays, and ran 3 legs in each one.  Does this count as 2 races?  Or 6?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

I count relays as just "relay races"  (so 5 relays for me) - not as each leg being a race because they aren't typical race distances necessarily.  but even if one was a 10K leg for example, i wouldn't count is a 10K race. but that's me. others may think of them differently.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Nice racing Erika and Carolyn!

Dave - did she find her dog?

Tammy - looks like a blast!

Yesterday we drove to Columbus to do a Segway Tour with 3 other couples.  It is about an hour and a half drive for us, and an hour and 15 minutes into it, we got a flat tire.  Fortunately, another couple was able to come back and get the four of us (another couple was riding with us) and we made the tour on time.  We called Roadside Assistance and left the key on the tire and the car was towed back to our house and was waiting in the driveway when we got home. I am grateful that our car insurance includes one free tow/year of up to 100 miles.  Anyway, after the Segway Tour we ate at a somewhat famous restaurant in the German Village called Schmidt's - supposed to be the best German food around.  I thought it was good, but not worth a 90-minute wait.  We were fortunate that our friend was driving his bigger car that holds 6 people, and not his Mini....

5.1 miles for me on Saturday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."