Masters Running

Monday, June 2nd Daily (Read 473 times)

evanflein

Enke, you were a lucky girl on that wipeout. Glad you had fun with it... 'Ribs, with all the traveling you do, you know that would never work. You gotta mail the gun ahead of you to a licensed gun dealer, then pick it up when you get there! Roll eyes 2.5 mile sweaty walk at lunchtime. Don't know how those of you who run over lunch break do it. I feel like I need a full shower, and it's only 67F out there now!
      I ran a nice 5.13 miles this evening over at the cemetary. It was hot at 86 degrees and sunny with thick humidity. You may have remembered me saying a few weeks ago that there were a bunch of crows in the cemetary and that I could see a nest way up in the top of this one tree. Well apparently other people have also noticed them because as I was running tonight I saw an orange bell shaped object with a black mouth piece laying in the grass. It has been there for several days but only tonight did I stop to pick it up. Printed on the side of it, it says Primos "Power Crow". When you blow into it, the sound is of a crow. It is really neat. With a little practise I was getting good at calling them. I ended up getting quite a "crow"d. Finally I have something to crow about with. I am glad someone left it there. Most likely they felt it was a" lost caws". I have determined that calling a crow is sort of like calling my ex wife.......after I have called them, what do I say?
      Vista
        thank you for starting the day, vista - i read it while i was working during the night; i am definitely one of those back of the packers. yesterday's flower hike was rained out, so it was more of a rest day than planned. today, pelle and i ran 4 miles, enjoying the sunflowers and blue fields of flax. the methow floral display is amazing. i checked mr spook, our aged siamese, one last time before we went out to run, heard one last weak meow. he was gone when i came home. we're planting a small orchard right now; mr spook will have a place there. good runs, susan
        Henrun

Vista - I'm primarily a lurker with Henrun doing all the posting. You're post inspired me. I'm definitely a bop and only place when age-group allows - and the fast 60+ women don't show. Also, dealing with knee pain leaves me tired after running. Today when I was at the doc's he asked me if I would give up running - to which I replied never - I need it for my head. My run home after work was terrible - I was tired and hot, but several hours later am very glad I ran. We all have to find the time to run - and to listen to your words - they inspire us. Thanks, Marj
          SteveP

Like others have mentioned, the number of miles people put in are amazing. The biggest obstical I have to over come is me. And that's a huge one. I mean, not like I'm huge..I mean I get in my own way...I guess that may mean I'm huge...do these shorts make my butt look fat?..Or is it the extra ice cream? I'm confused. Enkephalin, glad your spill was fun. I lay there until I can tell if I'm dead..If some one saw the fall...I have to do it again so it looks like it's a good time. DW, Ace and I went 2.3 miles. We took the dog to the vet and they recognized him. The former owners took very good care of him. As much as we enjoy him, I feel for the former owners. We made a lot of progress with the charging at the car thing. You people posting today got me all teary eyed. Cry Knock it off.

SteveP

Oh, Vista, thank you so much for eloquent, inspiring words that I so needed to hear after a couple of carpy runs and at the beginning of what I knew would be an even worse morning at work. You helped me to remember to be proud of myself for what I AM doing in terms of running and other exercise after way too many years of full-time slug-hood. How appropriate that I logged my 300th mile of the year today! Six more than I ran in all of 2006, and 300 more than I ran in EVERY year before that. I may always be a turtle, but I'm a turtle on the move! Smile erika - you may be a heat wimp, but you're tough as nails when it comes to braving the cold. fjord - Sorry about the loss of Mr. Spook, but glad he was able to leave on his terms. The orchard sounds lovely. I ran 3.5 miles today (shorter distance that originally planned), very slowly, in my new Nike singlet, carrying my groovy water bottle, and spent about 85% of the run in the shade. Felt much better than yesterday, thank you very much. Didn't have time to get the cool hat today, so wore the old, smelly visor. Hat-shopping is on the books for tomorrow afternoon. First time I've run 4 days in a row since about April. Feeling pretty good, but have declared tomorrow a non-running day. May do some strength training, and need to leave time to assemble all of my stuff for Thursday and Friday's camping trip with the 8th graders. Bug spray, sun screen, long pants to avoid poison ivy, calamine lotion in case I don't - yep, it's gonna be one fabulous trip. Shocked What was I thinking?!?!?! To me, "camping" means not getting chocolates on the pillow when I get back to the hotel! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Vista thanks for that wonderful start. Smile You've inspired me to release my summer secret of eating pickles, I like the big dills, they are a terrific natural source of sodium. I'm not sure how much of a secret pickles value are but everyone I tell about it gives me the "are you crazy" look. Works for me and they go very well with burgers or tuna sandwiches my two favorites. Big grin Group run today, 6 hilly miles in 53:40 (8:56 pace). Run Well, Be Safe

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Some great runs today. 12K with Topdown in the trails. He showed me where next Tuesday's trail race is. I am hoping I can use that as a tune up to my 5K race the following week. Burgers and Stella's after the run. What amazing folks Topdown and his wife are. They have been great to me and my girls. True friends. Take care everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Renee the dog

Just got back from 5 mi with the babysitter. 47:57. She's picking up the pace and it's great! Renee ran 4 of the 5 with us and we handed her off to my husband. She was hosed down before we got going and had a drink or two along the way. But, it wasn't the night for her to do a full 5 as she had digestive problems earlier today. I talked with her vet and he thinks with her conditioning she can do up to 5 but no more during the summer and only if we run early or late, which is my preference. Smile As for mileage totals, I am quite happy with mine currently, and thrilled for everyone where they are at! I love reading everyone's accomplishments and trials too. We're each on our own paths, and I love celebrating them all. Personally, running right now is the ONLY thing keeping me sane. My Mom's stroke recovery, my being too far away, the stress of my parents not having a plan...AAAGGGGGHHH! Then having the house 99% done, but not being able to move yet is seriously stressful, as things are delivering. I have to be here; I have to be there. The kids are fraying at the seams 'cause Mom is fraying at the seams. But then I run. And aaaaahhhhhhhhhh. I can breathe again.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

{{{Nonoruns}}} Hey, just be glad you've got running to help keep you sane. So many don't, and I really wonder how they cope. Running helps me with so many things, too, and it's amazing how many "issues" and problems I work out and think about on my runs. No wonder speed sort of gets away from me... half a mile into my run and my mind is somewhere else... Eliz, I would rather bundle up for the cold (well, to a point) than worry about heatstroke and dehydration! Like I say, you can always add more layers, but there's a limit to what you can take off! Tallrunner, a good friend like that is worth their weight in gold. You are a fortunate man to have topdown in your life. Got off work just a little early and headed out to the garden. Watered everything (at 70F and 35% humidity it's amazing how fast it dries out!!), and planted my broccoli and cauliflower seedlings. They're a bit too small, really, but with this weekend's trip to Anchorage, they've gotta get in the ground. Planned out the potato patch, and my water soaker hoses are two rows too short! Angry So... do I just plant the other spuds and hand water all summer?? Or add the extra hose and loop it around a bit so things get a "lot" of water...? Prolly the second. I'm into turning on the hose and leaving it for hours... Beautiful night tonight... might take the dog for a walk. Boys have soccer all day again tomorrow and each has a game at 8, so I "might" run tomorrow morning. It'll be a short one... foot is on ice now as I type.