Masters Running

Thursdaily, 4.28.22 (Read 39 times)

Mike E three words, Hide-A-Key.

I woke up at 4am and realized I had a set of appointment conflicts, one of which involved my having promised my DW to be home at a certain time. My wife noticed how distressed I was about all of this and offered to let me off the hook for being home. That solved that problem, but of course added one to the "husband owes" debt. Since I could not get to sleep I went out for an early morning run, this winter's morning. Yes, winter has returned to CT! I was in long everything and mid-weight gloves and by the end of the run, I was cold.  Where is my warm weather!!! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Doug - that drive does sound stressful. If it were DH and I (him driving) doing that drive, I know it would be even MORE stressful to me, as DH gets very agitated in those kinds of driving conditions.  Not that he would let ME do it just to give him a break.  He drove me to a marathon a few years ago (I think the Freedom Run, maybe) that was about an 8-hour drive, and I told him afterward that I did NOT want him to come with me anymore, because his "Every one if you is my adversary!" take on driving was just too stressful for me.

Nope, that was Steamtown in Scranton, PA. I remember that trip! My DH took your DH around on the course, and your DH just wanted to go back to the hotel. Mine said, "Nope, you're on duty now!" Good luck with those interviews, I sure hope the right one offers you a good position.

Leslie, yeah we do pretty much pay through the nose, and have to go through Anchorage and/or Seattle before going on to anywhere else. We do have a trip to Austin in May, and will be going back to Portland for the June 2 "Pretty Woman" show. Might try doing the Fairbanks to Anchorage then direct to Portland for that one for a change.

Barb, that foal is adorable! Love how he (she?) backs up for a butt scratch. Baby critters are so damn adorable.

Hey everyone! Just popping in to say I've been skimming the dailies (Hi Jeanne!!) but don't have much to contribute. My days are filled with PT, taking my mom or dad to appointments, doing shopping for mom and dad, and going to the student rec center on campus to ride the recumbent bike. I'll be doing that again soon. The hip is slowly (slowly....) improving, but I still have more pain than I think I should, and the progression is certainly not linear. Our breakup is in full swing with sunny days in the 50's and nights in the 30's. Mud and water are everywhere. We have water seeping into our basement apartment back bedrooms, first time that's happened in 30 years but this year had so much snow. And rain. The amount of water coming down off the hill is incredible. But my garden is mostly exposed and the rhubarb are poking their red shoots up in the yard so spring is really on the way. DH cleared the snow off the deck and set up the table and chairs last weekend so we can spend time out there at the end of the day (still wearing jackets cuz even a little breeze at 50° can be chilly!).

Anyhow, just a quick pop in to say I'm still here, trying to get better and trying to not hate everyone I see out there running on the roads and paths.

BTY

I got my car back!   Whoopie!

Then my mechanic (a different mechanic, who doesn't do bodywork or 4-wheel alignments) squeezed me in on short notice and mounted 2 new tires on the front rims and placed the best of the two original tires on the back.  With the new, improved, tires on the front, and a 4-wheel alignment, this car drives better than it ever has.  I really thought I could get 4 tires for around $800 when I started saving a few paychecks back, but the mechanic couldn't get the original tires (which have lasted almost 43,000 miles now) and they weren't too high on the ones that were supposed to be comparable, in performance and dollar amount, so I spent half again what I thought I'd pay per tire and am still saving for the next two.  My lease is up on May 25 and I will definitely buy it out at lease-end, as I've been planning all along since day 1.

No exercise today.  However, I do have plans to finish up a tree removal job that I started on Saturday afternoon, which would take way way too long to describe here (I could do it :-) but you'd all hate me).  Suffice it to say that I did a $1,500 limb removal job (with my step ladder and extension pole saw) for whatever is the cost of a 1 liter bottle of Molly's Irish Creme.   If I'd known what I was getting myself into at the start, I never would have started, but the neighbor doesn't have the money to pay someone to do that work (or a few other things that I discovered while there) and what the heck, I absolutely love doing that kind of work for people.

DW is getting back from her Mom's tonight and has given us some updates about her older brother's cancer surgery on Wednesday morning.  Sounds like he came through it well and the doctors are cautiously happy.

Brian

Yay BTY!  I know that is a great relief to you to have the car back.

Holly- good that the interviews went well.  If you get the eldercare offer, you might want to tell the other place you have an offer but would love to entertain one from them, too. Or something like that.

Erika- good to see you and I hope your hip continues to improve.

I signed up for the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee again, after swearing that I would not.  I didn't have trouble getting the mileage the last two years (deliberate walking counts) but I got tired of all the logging the miles.  BUT- a nice medal and t-shirt....  BUT- 4 months of dealing with it.  It's 1000K.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

but of course added one to the "husband owes" debt. 

You do know that is a debt you will never catch up on...or even if you do, probably not a good idea to mention it....  And thanks for the feedback re Chipotle peppers.

BTY - Yay on getting the car back!  And great job helping out your neighbor!

Karen - 

So, I must admit that my go-to beverage is Diet Mt. Dew.  I drink way too much of it, and always have an open can in the fridge that I sip on.  I realize that it is not terribly healthy, but didn't realize just how much.  DH told me today that Mt. Dew has been banned in more than 100 countries because of certain ingredients.  Darn it.  Looks like I will be weaning myself off of that habit immediately.  Well, when I finish my current 12-pack.  Water is a better choice anyway.  Darn it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Glad you have your car back, BTY.  Your description of helping your neighbor made me smile.  The Hub was going to be working with one of his "older" lady clients in her yard today pulling weeds.  I would love to have had a picture / been a fly hanging around while he and Helen spent the better part of the day together. 

KSA - That's nuts . . . but I won't say I have thought, "Hmmmm . . . "   There's a challenge that happens once a year - 4 x 4 x 48 - that I've also thought, "Hmmmm . . ." but I would want someone to do it with. (4 miles every 4 hrs for 48 hrs)

MRI scheduled for Monday morning at 8:00, followed by the rest of my root canal at 10:00 . . . followed by another amazing milkshake.  Just not a large this time.   The MRI people were really wonderful.  When they heard I was coming over from Eureka for another appointment that day, they had no trouble making sure I got in early on the same day.  We'll drive over Sunday and do some sightseeing.

Fingers crossed it's nothing but PF.  I asked my sports chiro, on the off chance there's a tear, how that's addressed.  Him: "Slowly and carefully." Not what I wanted to hear. 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Final track workout before the meet next week. I received the event schedule, and I'll be the oldest and probably slowest person in my Mile heat, since they bunched 30-59 into the same heat. The M60-74 and M75-89 get their own heats! Glad I'm not doing the 3000m, it's M30-69 in one heat (some people are gonna get LAPPED!). And that's my race goal, not to get lapped! In the MILE! Fastest entrant has a 4:35, so I should be ok.

200-400-600-800-600-400-200 pyramid with 200m jog/walk in about 1:30 rest interval between each.

:41, 1:31, 2:14, 2:57, 2:17, 1:27, :34

Best part: nothing hurt while doing it. I bet my PF shows up in the morning, though. It seems like the ballet-shoe-tight race shoes (Skechers Speed-6) are actually preventing some of the foot pain from happening. Who knows.

It sounds like vacation season is off to a good start. Id like to turn part of my trip up to Oregon next week into a vacation, but work schedule at the theater company won't allow it.

Brian; I get roped into doing 4-digit work for next to nothing, too. Which is one of the reasons I've developed the image of an eccentric recluse.

Leslie; 299 can be an interesting drive...if you don't do it very often. How much are the commuter flights to Redding and back? Significantly more than gas?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post before hitting the sack (still not a fan of the Eastern Time Zone).  My stuff arrived today, a shelf unit and an "entertainment center" had a single foot knocked off (and the one from the entertainment center disappeared entirely).  I've had worse and these are pieces I'm not worried about taking back to the house (they were dragged out of the attic when I started "geo baching").  Early this morning got in an 8+ mile run.  This area is hilly.  4 miles were through a very nice subdivision(s) that appear to abut a state park along the Chattahoochie River.  VERY hilly--just under 1000' of climbing in those 8+ miles.  In Prattville it may have approached 250'.  I'll be optimistic and think how it will help me down the road....

Holly, nice deal on the vacay!  Good luck with the (fingers crossed) decision.

KSA, Ooooo, forgot that was coming up.  I'll have to think about joining it this year.  Good luck!

Mike, Sweet tempo!

Surly, Sweet interval session!

Have a greta night everyone!

Oh Falcon- you should do it!   I also hate the Eastern Time Zone.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

. . . trying to get better and trying to not hate everyone I see out there running on the roads and paths.

Surly - 299 isn't bad this time of year.  Heck, we're so used to having to drive 3+ hrs to get anywhere, it ain't nuthin' but thang.  But - no direct flights from here to Redding.  They route you through SFO and at this late date, one ticket is . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . $1,246.  

And the age grouping on those races doesn't seem very fair!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Surly - 299 isn't bad this time of year.  Heck, we're so used to having to drive 3+ hrs to get anywhere, it ain't nuthin' but thang.  But - no direct flights from here to Redding.  They route you through SFO and at this late date, one ticket is . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . $1,246.  

I guess that coast range is just too high for those planes to get over!

Round trip to Hawaii from here is less than $400.

Oops, I just checked flights to Hawaii, since I may have to go sometime: Less than $200 round trip! And for some reason, that's the non-stop from Oakland (my preferred airport) to Kona (big island). The flights with a plane change in LA, LV, Oahu all cost MORE! AND take twice as long to get there (10hrs travel vs 5).

Go figure.

SteveP

Jay - I hope dinner was nice. Of course your team has done good work.

Holly - Everyone needs something to look forward to.  As far as drinking water....do you have any idea what fish do in that stuff?  How can that get filtered out?

Rochrunner - I've left hotels at 2:00AM to avoid Chicago daytime traffic.  I hope the nostalgia kicks in.

Tammy - An $80.00 marathon in Leslie's area? Jealous!

It's good to see RCG.

Erika - It sounds like you have your hands full.

Shout out to Tom White.

BTY -  Nice of you to go out on a limb for your neighbor.

Surly - There's a lot of numbers in your pyramid scheme.

Falcon Fixer -  Sweet 8 miles.  It's always good to see ya.

I got 5.5 miles in.

SteveP