Masters Running

Monday bike rides no lightning Netherlands (Read 51 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Also got 1st AG which I was pleased about, but considering it was mostly a young person's race... am I the only one who feels guilty for inadvertently cherry-picking their races?

Enjoy!

Congratulations, Esther.  Quite a hardware weekend for the RA folks.  and hell no you shouldn't--I keep hoping to find one like that.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

today we bike from Gouda to Leiden.   Yesterday was Rotterdam area to Gouda.  Lots of windmills, birds, ducks, CANALS, cyclists, and some runners.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

marj

You two take the coolest vacations.  Where do you find the bike tours?

Slo - I admit there was beer involved...

OM - you will do great, I have no doubt, but mostly I hope you have a wonderful time!

Sitting in the airport now.  So much more fun now that I have a laptop.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Opie too, right? Yes, congrats to everyone!! I ran a 5k on Sunday in 25:19, which is now my second-to-fastest 5k. So what's that called, PR runner up?? Wink Also got 1st AG which I was pleased about, but considering it was mostly a young person's race... am I the only one who feels guilty for inadvertently cherry-picking their races? Eh, I got a nice pint glass for my efforts and I supported a friend's cause by participating in the race. And it was a hilly one too!

Congrats on your AG win!  Yes, I ran the Memorial Marathon here as a pacer.  28 now.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Henrun

End of day for us - some neat towns and lots of orange.  Tomorrow is the queens bday and she's abdicating for her son.  The country celebrates BIG TIme

there are so many great racers, walkers, and runners I cant keep track so shout outs to everyone & ((injured))) or those fighting injuries...

pictures when get home.  I can't load from FB to RA and I haven't figured out wifi on my camera.

enjoy your evenings

marj

henrun sounds like you are having a great time!

Holly S. no and even worse on occasion!

wildchild great addition to your swag collection.

OrangeMat congratulations on the AG win and the new second best PR or whatever.  Hey, did I mention congratulations on the AG win!

Jlynne my hamstrings derailed my running for over two years.  I hope yours heal up a lot faster.  Is it tendonitis or tendonapathy?  The former is simple inflammation.  The can be a problem.  If it is the latter you can send me a note and I can give you something of a rundown of what some options you might explore and what worked for me.

I am back in Ireland.  Sort of ran 8 miles today.  A total of 10 but at least two miles were a combination of getting lost and walking a bit to figure out where I was.  That plus lots of stopping for lights, traffic and pedestrian congestion made this a pretty leisurely run.  The good news is that there was no tendon pain in either of my lower legs for the whole run!  This is a first post-Boston.  I am very happy about.

I am also happy my friend who ran Boston finally got a finisher's medal call her F1.  We were scheduled to go to a post-Boston marathon party at yet another friend's place who also ran it say F2.  Now F1's DH and F2 concocted a scheme to surprise her at the party with a finish line to cross and for F1's DH to then medal F1.  (When the time came he insisted F2, me and a F3 who also ran Boston should medal F1 so that is what actually happened.)  Well the plan worked like a charm!  F1 was so happy she was literally crying.  Aw.  (Women.  Roll eyes  If you all are happy why do you burst into tears?  Confused  Anyway, I have come to learn this is a good sign.  Big grin)  The only glitch we ran into was thanks to slow mail transit the medal that was shipped to her is still on its way.  Shhhh!  Instead she has "mine" and I will get one from her DH when I get back.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Stumpy - sorry to here about your foot. Hopefully it's a transient issue that a day or two rest will heal.

OrangeMat - I'd cherry pick races like that if I could or needed to. In my AG it's not unusual for everyone to walk away with an AG award in the smaller local races.

Aren't pics mandated with vacations? Of course being technically challenged when it comes to things like that, you may never see me post a photo of anything.

Naturally yesterday was beautiful but was a scheduled rest day. Today I had a 4.2 mile recovery run and it drizzled or rained all day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Day off of work, and I'm not being productive at all.  But I did go for a 5 mile run while it wasn't raining.  Garmin-less too, which is nice.

2cat - great story!  Tears of joy, they are the best kind.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Sounds like good times for Hen and Marj.  Great to read of your trip.

Stumpy, you soak that foot in Epsom salt bath tonight.  Don't screw with it.  Get right after any injury.

Thanks Jay. I did take today off, as I am hurting a bit from yesterday's run after all my pitchfork work on Saturday at my son's school.  Tomorrow I'm back at it, although I'm in a really congested suburb.  I'll look for a place to run tonight before dinner.  In St. Louis all week.

Wrote my blog post about speedwork, an idea I got from Ed Eyestone.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/how-to-fire-up-your-speed-in-just-4-weeks.html/

Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amazingly enough, we have a tub of Epsom salts that DW is trying to turn back into salt as we speak.  Shows how often we use it.  So, how do you use it?  Hot? Cold?  The box tells how to make a compress.  I will be going to get it checked out tomorrow.

King of PhotoShop

Because it's your foot, this is easy.  if it's your hamstring you have to take a bath.  Put one cup of the salt into a bucket and fill it with hot water and swirl it around, water hot enough for you to stand it.  Put in foot.  Watch TV for 30 minutes.  Rinse foot. Dry.  Use ice on foot inside towel or something.  Do again next two nights. Get off RA and get busy.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Because it's your foot, this is easy.  if it's your hamstring you have to take a bath.  Put one cup of the salt into a bucket and fill it with hot water and swirl it around, water hot enough for you to stand it.  Put in foot.  Watch TV for 30 minutes.  READ A BOOK FOR 30 MINUTES.  Rinse foot. Dry.  Use ice on foot inside towel or something.  Do again next two nights. Get off RA and get busy.  Spareribs

FTFY!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ribs--you forgot to mention the large serving of ice cream that's an essential part of the treatment.  Smile  Now icing.  I was bad and watched Yukon Men.

Thanks.

aka FlyingFinn

I think I missed congratulating Opie and OM....congratulations on your AG win OM and on your pacerrific pacing, Opie.

No, wild, I did not take food yesterday, as I usually don't fuel on long training runs. Yes, I had water...20 oz. I think I was tired from the work I did the day before, and also I'm not in very good shape.

Sorry about your foot Stumpy but glad you are heeding expert advice.

The blog posts by Spareribs are  good, but do you all remember the "Ask Spareribs" columns he used to write? I was reading some of those the other night and they had me laughing out loud. I should post a link here.

I can't wait to see pics from Marj and Henrun.

No running today. We had bout night at fencing. It's a fun way to cap off a 6 week session. There were only 5 in my pool and we fenced to 5 touches. DH got me by one. Grrrr. He's got that long reach. Coach cleaned my clock. The other two guys were easy to figure out. One we call "fly swatter boy" because he likes to flick his blade. I finished 3/5. I'm very excited, and so are the students, that coach is coming to my school for a demonstration this week Thursday.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver