Masters Running

Friday, June 13th Daily (Read 364 times)

I just watched the video of Tom Brokaw announcing Tim Russert's death and had to take my glasses off. I think the approach of Father's Day and the recent health challenges of close friends and family made the tears flow fast. I have to believe that if my father had only gone to the doctor, he would not have suffered a massive stroke----fit and trim at 5' 9" and 145 pounds, never smoked or drank and didn't believe he needed a doctor. He was 60 and I played the answering machine message of his clear strong voice for months so I would never forget. Whew....okay, buck up Karin. Some zippy legs there Craneium. You too Erika. Nice mile there and the event sounded like great fun. Francesca---my husband now cheers for my son to out sprint me....harummph. I hope your wife feels better soon Twocat. Scary indeed and I am so glad you are there with her. I'll chime in as well about Big Brown's jockey. I thought he did the courageous thing by saving the horse rather than worrying about the media glare and the pressure or even losing his job. He clearly felt that Big Brown didn't have it, so he pulled him up and eased him home. Did you catch how he stroked the horse's neck as he dismounted as if to say: "Hey, it's okay now. I'll take the heat." I don't know anything about horse racing, but think that the trainer is a complete jackass. (PG version of what I want to say). Shutting down the office for the day and going downstairs to see what my boys are up to... Karin/CNYrunner
      FWIW Big Brown's trainer is a %#$@. I know some trainers at the NYS tracks and they litterally cheared when Big Brown lost just because of how much they detest Dutrow so much.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! DG – Reading your post makes me worry about you, my friend. Please be careful. Don’t get caught up in trying to improve too quickly, err on the side of caution. You were on the DL for a long time. Didn’t Spareribs say something about taking as long to come back as you were injured? {{{Twocat’s DW}}} Erika – not as fast as last year surprises me, since you are so fast these days, but a 1-mile race is so iffy - I’d bet your time could fluctuate quite a bit at that distance from one day to the next. Enk – I have a running list of to dos in my head all the time, those “when I get time I want to…” items. When I feel a little down, I knock out a couple of those that have been on the list a long time. Someone told me a long time ago that when you want an emotional lift, do something that you don’t want to do, but that you know you ought to do. Works every time for me. I weighed myself this morning and I feel like a big fat cow. So, I ripped out the end of my favorite big couch pillow and put new stuffing in it, then sewed it up (been meaning to do that for a long time). And now, I’m going to have an ice cream cone. So there. Tomorrow I’ll hop back on the attempting-to-diet bandwagon. Right after I drag my overstuffed butt to a race. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Another overstuffed butt here, lol! Not running is horrid. I made it to the Y this morning, and tried out the pool treadmill. How bizarre! Rollers covered with a rubber mat (no motor). I had to stay on the balls of my feet, and felt like I couldn't go very fast. Certainly didn't feel like running, and it didn't get my heartrate up. I think I will try the aqua jogger next (flotation device). Has anyone tried that? My ankle is still sore, so I'm not taking any chances with real running yet.
          evanflein

{{{Holly}}} I feel for you grrl, and with you! I've been sitting here in my fat jeans which feel tight, knowing I need to finally decide on which bathing suit to take to Hawaii. I think I have an old one that might fit. And I have only one (as in "1") pair of shorts that fit. It's so depressing. I'll let you have the ice cream, I'm heading for the wine... Will be a week of fun on the beach, then it's time to get serious. Be sure to post how your big fat butt does in that race... (I'll bet you'll be very pleased) My race was ok and I know why my time was slower... I held back cuz of the nagging foot/ankle problem (the ankle, by the way, is fine now...sheesh), I didn't want to risk making it worse. Teresa, yes, try the aqua jogger! Water Running is the best... I did it for my sprained ankle a couple years ago, and Perchcreek did a lot of it with his PF. Never heard of the undwater roller thingy... I'm always sorry to see when a fine animal gets mixed up with a disreputable trainer/owner. Just like what happened to Seabiscuit when he first started out. They almost ran that poor horse into the ground. The triple crown means nothing to the horse, but it meant everything to the trainer. So I'm glad he didn't win. I'm gonna miss Tim Russert and his whiteboard.
              Finally feel like I'm back in the Land of the Living (and Eating Real Food) today. Did 2 hours of pilates, stretching, and weights on the stability ball this evening. It feels so good to actually feel muscles at work in my body again! Am going to run, walk, and/or crawl at least 4 miles tomorrow morning. Did most of the workout while watching Jimmy Buffett Live in Anguilla DVD to get psyched for tomorrow's "Sibling Pilgrimage to Jimmy," the annual day to act like an idiot with my big brother. His health isn't all that great this year, and our family's been through quite a winter, so we really need this sibling bonding-over-Landshark-Lager-and-grass-skirt time. We're going again at the end of the summer (yes, my big bro IS addicted to JB), so I'm going to call my summer shape-up plan "Getting Buff for Buffett." I want to show up at the August concert tan, thin, and wearing a bikini top! (Yikes, I must be delirious from all of the chicken soup I ate this week!) Handymom - some of your phrases are so funny! So slow you have to "let the snails pass?!?" Yep, me, too. And I swear the little suckers are sticking their tongues out at me as they fly by. Hope the floodwaters don't get you or your car. Perch - 2500 miles in the year since your injury? Fantastic!!! Twocat - if your wife had a virus similar to the one that got me on Sunday, tell her to give herself at least a week to even start to feel normal again. Ginger ale and chicken soup will be her best friends during that time. Oh, and you of course! Teresa - pool treadmill? That sounds really weird. I'm curious about the water jogging thing. I may try one of those in the pool here at home when I'm stuck here for workshops days over the summer and I don't want to deal with the hills and humidity in PA. Happy weekend, everyone, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

SteveP

Hopefully your DW is up and at 'em soon TwoCat. I was hoping to get out of work very early. It didn't work that way. It's kewl. First thing in the AM, I had a lot of windows and doors to unload. Two 12' patio doors and a number of smaller ones. Then I had to load a small truck full of windows and deliver them. Then load a big truck with windows and doors so I can deliver them 1st thing Monday. Two of the doors were 8'. One 8' tall and the other 8' wide. I'm getting a little buff. The reason I wanted to get out of early was cause we celibrated DW's birthday. I found a local nursery that had a magnolia tree. She's always wanted one. I had to get SIL to help unload it. DW and I had dinner and she was tickled when we got home.

SteveP