Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 4.17.18 (Read 44 times)

Twocat-  No, I'm in Tennessee but I was in Texas for almost 30 years, but I've never been to Horseshoe Bay.  It sounds really nice and you should be able to find some good running.

I saw the sports doc (chiro by degree) and he was fantastic.  As I suspected, I have some nerve issues at the top of my leg which are causing the leg to be weak and the muscles not work properly.  He did a lot of ART and manipulating of the leg and had me do some good exercises, which I will continue to do several times a day.   I can run my easy mile for my streak for the next few days and try longer on the weekend.  I'm good with that.  I'm going back on Monday.  He's the right person.   It feels a lot better already.   Oh- the one interesting part is that the practice is in the back of a CrossFit gym and while I waited I got to hear all the slamming down of the barbells and weights and the loud music.  CrossFit is SO not my thing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

2 miles on a dry, cool morning. So unlike yesterday and no trace of yesterday’s disaster. They do a great cleanup. However, we went to the Museum of Fine Arts via subway and saw many happy folks sporting their new marathon jackets. What a difference a day makes!

C-R

Hey everyone. Still excited about yesterdays racing. Congrats to the finishers and a big thank you to those volunteers. What a nasty weather day.

Glad you found the right doc Karen. That's a big part of the process. Good luck.

Just getting out for a run. Buys work day.

I was reading an article on Des and here is a quote that is simply stunning -" "Just show up for one more mile. Show up for one more minute." And that was kind of my mantra throughout this entire build and through the entire race day on Monday."

Just wanted to share that.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

spacityrunner

2 miles around the hood in hot and windy.

Trails Rock!

bioguy

I missed the plagiarism discussion, but I've seen a lot in my 22 years teaching high school. A few years ago, a male student turned in his final paper on biotechnology and had copied/pasted the entire thing. While I recognized quickly it wasn't his writing, the final line of the essay read, "And as a woman, I feel...." I called his parents and they were appalled. They made him call to "apologize", but he claimed he misunderstood the assignment.

turnitin.com is a oft-used checker to see if kid copy from elsewhere, but honestly all I do is paste their sentence into Google and lo and behold, it is the first hit.

4.1 post-argument miles. The wedding this weekend was great, but DW's nerves are a bit frayed on the comedown. I had 10+ scheduled, but was grumpy setting out and just didn't feel it.

Tailwinds!

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy friends,

I think we're getting some of MikeE's snow that never stops.  It was pretty unpleasant out there today, 25 degrees and snowing sideways.  I managed 3 miles around the hood.

Karen, I'm glad you like your doctor, and hope you see improvement soon!

Norm, I like that quote from Desi.

Congrats to yesterday's Boston finishers and volunteers for sticking it out in those awful conditions. I'll take snow over rain any day.

We were planning on leaving on our road trip to Oregon today, but with the snow we're putting it off for a day or two.  Crossing Vail Pass in a snowstorm in a 2WD van is a bit more adventure than we're hoping for.

Re: plagiarism, my dad the college professor said he had a student who lifted whole sections verbatim from a paper in a recent publication - did he think his professor didn't read the trade journals???    I  think there's a huge difference between plagiarizing and citing references and quoting from recent articles with the proper credit.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, short easy run at lunch.  3.5 miles.  Long walk after work.  Skipped the bike ride, windy and really am trying to take it easier with my right knee.

Have a great night everyone!

catwhoorg

Labrat

I hate plagiarism with a passion.

As a former academic of sorts, and now a long standing industrial researcher, cite references, use idea but phrase originally. (where possible). A cheap grade isn't worth it and the person will be found out later in life.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

Love seeing that finish by Desi, what a champion! Pictures and stories from yesterday make me glad I wasn't there. Well done to anyone who completed that ordeal!

Bioguy, sometimes those runs are a good opportunity to run hard, strong and long. I haven't felt that need in awhile (that's a good thing) but a few years ago, I used to have "chasing demons" runs a little too often.

We've been having absolutely beautiful weather the last two weeks, well there has been some wind but after what the Boston runners dealt with I'm not going to complain (too much). The annoying thing is we have temps in the 40's and even low 50's during the work week, and the weekends dive down to upper 20's, low 30's with a brisk wind. It was clear, sunny and breezy today with temps in the mid-40's and I got out for 4.5 miles after work.

Mariposai

Still smiling here post Boston marathon results

Way to go American girls

Way to go our own RA runners

We are so proud of you!!!

As for me. Today was a 6 miles run prescribed by Pt, but work load, 14 hours plus did not allow my wings to even get a walk around the block, but all is good because my work aligns with my mission in life. We are making great move in the work front...so life is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Jay - Kudos for the volunteer work at Boston.

I really should have arranged to leave Sunday. My DW asked why I did not. The only answer is because my soul is tortured every moment we are apart.

FIFY

(((((Catwhoorg)))))

C-R - I love the quote.

Some nameless individual at our corporate office 1,005 miles away who cannot find our little town on an atlas (population 772 as of the 2010 census) said I have to apply for the job I was recruited for three years ago and that my application would be considered. I don't fault our former boss for leaving...but what a pain in the neck. What I do fault the person for is going out of his way to tell me I'd either get my office remodeled our moved to a corner office when he knew full well that he was looking for a position in a smaller company.

On top of my normal stuff, I got an incredible ab work out shoveling snow out of out loading dock. We paid a fella to clear it out. Instead, he did us a favor and filled it Monday and allowed it to freeze over night.I was able to clear enough out where two people could get the last 1/3 of it with two snow blowers before I got busy.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike Rowe has a FB show called "Returning the Favor." 

There are shows on Facebook now?  I don't get over there often, but it sounds interesting.

As for podcasts, I would love to listen, but I have never been able to figure out how to download them to my computer and move them to my Sansa Clip.

4.6 miles on the TM for Tuesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

There are shows on Facebook now?  I don't get over there often, but it sounds interesting.

As for podcasts, I would love to listen, but I have never been able to figure out how to download them to my computer and move them to my Sansa Clip.

This is the 2nd season of Returning the Favor.  Each episode is about 25-30 min long.  The FB community nominates folks who are doing incredible work in/for their community and the show "gives back" to the "bloody do-gooders."   He's introduced us to some pretty incredible people.  The episodes are well worth watching.

As for downloading podcasts, the only way I know how to do it is through iTunes.  There are lots of free ones you can subscribe to.  My main ones as this point are "This American Life," "Trail Runner Nation," and "Billy Yang Podcasts."

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance