Masters Running

Sticky Sunday Daily - 6.2.13 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

It's great that Mariposai and Enke could hang out on Friday night - yep, jealous.

Good 5er yesterday, TomS. And thanks for the reminder that our 'retirement club' continues to grow with 2 new greta members.

Nice relatively effortless 4th place AG finish yesterday, Ribs! And congrats in getting reinspired.

Glad you're feeling better and getting back to running, Troy. Did you get the 3-fer?

Mike, why don't you ever tell us how you feel about running with Ryan? Nice run with him yesterday. Did you ever finish the sermon?

Excellent 50K yesterday, Holly! I'm glad that your knees (and the rest of you) held up fine, that you finished well, and that you got to mix it up with the local runners. I'll bet that post-race beer went down real well.

I'm glad you had fun sproinking through your 11-miler yesterday, Evanflein. I'll bet you'll do just fine on your long run today.

Good luck on your trail marathon today, Carolyn. The weather sounds about ideal.

My peso pruners weren't so politely popping this morning as I racewalked a scooch over 6 miles. It was warm (for me) at 74 and muggy, and I had some remnant chafing from yesterday's workout to deal with. I had intended to go a few more miles, but the chafing, more than anything else, convinced me to cut back before it got nasty. It's just as well - I have a lot of outside work to do today, and it is going to be another very warm one (near 90). It is way too warm for this part of the country, this early in the season. I'm so looking forward to getting back to normal temps (50s to 70s) in another day or two.

Have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike, why don't you ever tell us how you feel about running with Ryan? Nice run with him yesterday. Did you ever finish the sermon?

You know, Jay...just the other day I thought to myself, "I really love running with Ryan...someday, I should tell my friends on RA how I feel."  The sermon is close to being done.  I'll go over it during the week and clean some things up.

...I think

you should have something about Lightning in your sermon mike//.......

=========

50min bike ride in the rain,,,,,,,,,slight lightning, but it gets your attention.....

off to Nashville

to take my SIL out to Chappy's for her B'Day

.............good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Just poppin' in to prune a bit about my 8-miler today. I would have bet 100 pesos it would have been slow after yesterday's race, but the weather was cool and clear and I felt super.  Now off to the store for groceries.  The family comes for dinner tonight.  Spareribs

Tramps

Nice going, Holly!  Congrats on both the 50K and getting more connected locally.  Your beer was well-deserved.

It’ll be interesting to hear from today’s racers, too.

Mike—is this a “life is like a marathon” sermon?

Ran with a friend today on trails that were new to me.  We got going later than I usually do, so it was well into the 80s by the time we finished.  Just a peso pruner baking in the heat.  Only one whirligig recovery (lift those knees!) and no face plants so there’s that.  Only a 10.5 mile run but that was plenty today.  I was soaked by the time we finished.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Hot and humid this morning. Marj and I ran a 10K nearby, some of which was on Heartbreak Hill. There must have been many no shows since 647 finished out of close to 800 registered. I started out slow but picked up my pace for one of my "fastest" 10 K's in the last year. It was slow but I had a negative split and didn't finish last (7 runners behind me). Marj clued in the race announcer on some of my running background before I finished. He knows me, so he added some other facts and, as I crossed the finished line (with Marj running me in), my running bio made me sound like a "living legend". It was a pleasant surprise but it brought back memories of finishing with real living legends in the long ago past..

Tramps

my running bio made me sound like a "living legend".

You are a living legend.  Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

ribs, nice race with 4th in AG and a 40 mile week.  Holly, great 50K.  henrun and marj, good job in your 10K.  I wish I could have heard the announcer as you finished.

Nice long runs for Mike (with Ryan) and evan.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was a little wind.  I got in 3 miles at a 10:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

DW and I spent the weekend in Maine opening up the camp for the summer.  As part of our anniversary celebration, we had fried fisherman's platters for takeout and watched the Bruins (!) on TV.  Who says romance is dead?

I got up early this morning to try and get in a long run before it got too hot and humid.  Didn't work.  But I did get in 11.5 drippy, slow, and hillier than normal miles in before we hit one of our favorite breakfast place for the continuation of anniversary dining.  Crabmeat and asparagus omelet sounded good and tasted even better.  Yum.  I love having an extra 1000-1200 calories to go through.

Great running for Holly, Marj, and our own living legend.  And probably several more that I can't remember.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy folks,

Well, I didn't have quite the race I hoped, but it was a nice day and pretty course.  No spectacular scenery but mostly wooded and the trail was near running water most of the way.    I finished in 4:52:43, which was 6th in my AG out of 13 so far - there may be more folks still out running.  The trail goes mostly uphill for 14 miles and then mostly downhill for 12.  I was running strong till about mile 19, where there's a mile of uphill, and I started taking some walk breaks, but I finished pretty strong.  The finish line scene was lame - no decent food - just dry bagels and some bananas, and water.   No beer or pizza or anything.   And there weren't many buses to take you back to where the cars were parked at the bus pickup location from this morning, so I walked a mile back to my car.   It was actually probably a good thing to stretch my legs though!

Hope Posie had a good marathon today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike—is this a “life is like a marathon” sermon?

Dang!  Where were you yesterday?

That must have been pretty cool, Henry.  Marj is, obviously, very proud of you.

Sorry you didn't have as good a marathon as you wanted, wild.  Don't dwell on it too much, just start getting ready for the next one.  Congratulations on another finish, though!

I did 22.2 in 2:44:06.  The weather was perfect.  Mostly sunny, 60o....a little windy...but nice.

Gotta go--DW just got home.

Marathon Maniac #957

My peso pruners weren't so politely popping this morning

I’m just never going to stop laughing out loud at this…(and Ribs, and Tramps, laughed out loud at you, too.)....Big grin

Mike – are you a minister, too?

Henrun – what Tramps said…TomS – this applies to you, too, and I’m sure for both of you the many running friends you have in the community would agree.

Wildchild – I get so annoyed at dry bagels at the end of a race.  No one can spring for a tub of cream cheese?  Really?  But I agree that the mile walk back to your car was probably a blessing.  At the KY Derby marathon, the 1 mile walk back to the apartment started so stiffly, but I felt so much better and loosened up by the time I got there.   Well done, even if it wasn’t your hoped-for race, that’s still a great time on a trail marathon.

No run for me today.  I did P90X Chest and Back, 50 bicycle crunches and 60 squats, no weights.  Then I aggressively vacuumed and dusted, cleaned the bathroom, washed both dogs, weeded the garden, and drove back and forth to the mall area 3 times for various family errands.  I also rented a carpet cleaner and am cleaning the downstairs carpets tonight, the upstairs carpets tomorrow.  I hate to say it, but when I don’t run, I may get more done….Roll eyes

DH has a colonoscopy/endoscopy scheduled for the morning, so he has not been allowed any solid food today, only clear liquids.  That is rough.  The thought of almost 48 hours without food voluntarily does not put this procedure high on my list of wanna-dos.  It does, however, allow me to clean the rest of the carpets in the morning, since I am staying home from work to get him to and from the facility.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I finished in 4:52:43, which was 6th in my AG out of 13 so far

Hope Posie had a good marathon today!

Could you see the Black Hills from the course?

You and posie are going to have as many MM stars pretty soon as we have in our eyes when we read about all the consecutive marathons you are both doing month-after-month, week-after-week.  Glad one of them is going to be Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon in July.  Let's not tell Mike about the sharp gravel substrate and get him to wear a pair of thin-soled flats so he'll think he can get a PR since itls all down a 2% rails-to-trails grade after the 2 flat miles through the tunnel.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Let's not tell Mike about the sharp gravel substrate and get him to wear a pair of thin-soled flats so he'll think he can get a PR since itls all down a 2% rails-to-trails grade after the 2 flat miles through the tunnel.

Ummm...sharp gravel substrate?  Have I ever told you I hate sharp gravel substrate?

evanflein

Nice job, Carolyn. They can't all be stellar races. I agree though, there's no excuse for carpy finish line stuff. I've heard good things about that race (from Aamos) so I wonder if things have changed for it recently.

My peso pruners were popping along pretty politely today (hey, might as well play with it, too) even though I got out so late for my run the sun was relentless. 80° and a light breeze, wasn't too bad actually but I still find myself engaging in "shade-seeking behavior" and stopping to drink my Nuun in any shade I can find. Gave myself permission to take some walk breaks, and was glad to see they didn't impact my pace much at all. 17.1 miles @ 8:17 avg (yeah, too fast) with a couple of stops to refill water bottle (drank 4 16.9 oz bottles of Nuun and water).

Again I would've liked to have gone 20, but was running out of time and legs were toast. I'll blame that 11 mile tempo run yesterday, but also the hours in the garden. But yay, I got most of my garden all done! Just need to do the potatoes, and I'll do them tomorrow after work.