Masters Running

Tuesday, 10.25.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I just have time for a quickie this morning, and a quickie it was too: 5.8 RW miles in 41F temps under overcast skies, and with negative splits all the way (starting at 12:01, including my warm-up, and finishing at 10:49), and an average pace of 11:15. My piriformis is still a pain in my butt, but I think I'm beginning to get over it.

Have a greta Tuesday. I'll be back in a couple 'o days.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good morning.

I did my first sub 12mm in over a year. With hubby. I didn't die but wanted to. 5k 36:06 11:39mm

I need to start focussing on my speed (or lack thereof) again if I want to race another marathon. Because I don't want to just "finish" as the recent years have delivered. Believe it or not, not too long ago I trained for a fast marathon (for me, that is 445) and then life happened and it all went kaput. It was an epic kaput as all kaputs should be epic. But now I am hoping for an epic comeback. Big grin

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bertha - good luck on your planned comeback to faster running, . . .
        and doin’ it before you get to the stage where you can’t.
        Jay - good job of fitting your run in on a busy days.
        have a safe memorial drive.

incidentally, for whatever reason, what’s your earliest morning start?
        In spite of “heavy rain” forecast, this morning was partly cloudy

with sun breakin’ through enough for another jog-a-mute but, . . .

not so fast, calves needed a rest so quaded it in on The Red Baron.
        TREKKING POLES
        zigalina - me too.
        No wonder I love running so much.
        Incidentally, if you turn out to be as happy as I am with my first try with trekking poles last year at the very steep and hilly two-mile loops in the annual Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run I love so much and where franccsca has always been using them for years, you will be ecstatic, if not euphoric.
        proof: last year, for the first time since 2012, I made it to the elusive 50K mark (7,000') with time to spare before the 12-hour cutoff and, to their amazement (and mine), just by using my arms to help push me up the two steep ascents again-and-again throughout the day, I was keeping up with - and ahead of - trail runner friends who’d be passing me everywhere else.
        Maybe they are not so helpful to faster runners as, so far, francesca’s and mine are the only ones I’ve ever seen in any races around here.  However, I understand they are very popular up in British Columbia but I don’t think they know what the word “steep” means up there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Well, this might be the first and last time you hear from me for a while. I’m assuming the cops will be here any minute, with a warrant for my arrest. They will call it felonious assault. I think it’s justifiable attempted homicide. You be the judge.

Yesterday started out like any other “normal” day. After a full day of work at the new water cooler factory, I headed over to the gym. Got in a session of fizzy lifting, then a quick run on the TM in the cardio cinema, then into the spinnerooni room. The class was about to start, and the instructor was making small talk with the other spinners.

The instructor turned to me. “Joe,” she started, “didn’t you just run the Chicago marathon?” “Uh huh,” I quietly responded, “A little over two weeks ago.  I ran better than expected. I was hoping for a 3:45 due to a lack of training; instead I ran it in 3:30 – first half in 1:45 and the second half in the remaining amount of time.” I wanted to test her math skills. “Oh,” she replied, “how long was that race?”

Now this makes the third time in three weeks that this instructor has asked me how far a MARATHON is. I closed my eyes and started to count to ten, but the anger management skills from my post old water cooler factory days were just not there. So I quickly approached the instructor, and unleashed a torrent of rights and lefts not seen since the days of Ralphie pummeling Scut Farkus.

But instead of a stream of obscenities, only one phrase came out of my mouth. A whisper at first, it grew in volume and cadence with each punch that landed. “26.2, 26.2, twenty-six point two, twenty-six point two, TWENTY-SIX POINT TWO, TWENTY-SIX POINT TWO!!!

I’m guessing the judge will say “Joe, I’m sentencing you to 10 to 26.2.”

Hope your yesterday was better than mine.

Mike E

MM #5615

PBJ--if the judge happens to be a runner it will be ruled a justifiable homicide.  It reminds me of my boss--every time he sees me, he asks me how my track team is doing.  And every single time I say--"It's a cross country  team."  I hope my judge is a runner, too.

Mike and PBJ - Hahahahaaaaaa!!!  Thanks for the 

Tet - I've talked to a few runners who are now starting to use trekking poles on a regular basis and they're all very happy with them.  I'm hoping it gives me the edge I will need to succeed at Mt. Lakes next September.

Bertha - You go, girlfriend!

I think I'm a glutton for punishment.  I decided to sleep in this a.m. instead of getting my run in . . . which means I'll be running in the rain tomorrow morning.  Oh well.  The extra ZZZ's felt so good!  I'll get in my stat bike workout this evening.

Starr - I have a friend who's going to teach me how to crochete.  We'll see how it goes!

Enjoy, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

PBJ  tell her 42km. Ya. Telling her once was enough. Three times means she wasn't listening. Maybe the judge will let you off in 3.1. Totally justifiable.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Head Procrastinator

Waving at PBJ! LTNS, hope the wife and kids are good. Kids must be so big now, but if you get 10-26.2 they may have their own kids by the time you get out.

Safe travels to good ole Brklyn, Jay.

Bertha, I am in the same boat, getting older and slower is depressing but hey we are still at it and getting older is way better than the alternative.

hmmmm....Trekking poles are pricey? What about all those races, holey moley!

It was kinda cold and windy (and it was DARK, oh it was so dark)

But I put on gloves and an ear buff and headed out into the dark (did I mention it was dark?)

By the time I got out I was running short of time, got in just under 25 mins at 11:30 pace.

It wasn't all that bad except it was dark and I even took off the buff and the gloves when I headed east.

(disclaimer the boardwalk has street lamps so no fear of falling and there are no cars or anything to get hit by)

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I've been lurking!  Happy to read about Portland except not happy to read about the glitches but happy to read about the fun.

Glad to read that tselbs had that melanoma caught early and treatment will ensue.

Happy to see Hally and LaTortuga posting again.

Still enjoying Steve and Tag adventures. Interesting day with the in-laws. You handled it well.

TwoCat.  It sure has been fun observing your taper madness in action. Primary symptom? Weather Obsession. Good luck in Indianapolis.

PBJ, about that homicide:

"I just don't think that PBJ could've done this. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their spin instructors, they just don't."

Here is my update.

Remember I had arthroscopic surgery on my right hip to repair the torn labrum, anchor it to the acetabulum, and shave off some bone spurs? That was 15 July.

And then I started running again. And then I thought I reinjured said hip. And then I had another arthrogram and MRI last Thursday.

Well. I just got back from a visit with my surgeon. He told me that the MRI looked good and that he believes my iliopsoas tendon is irritated. He told me to back off my activities. I asked him what I should do. He said you don't have to do anything, I said, No really. What should I do? If I can't be active?

He told me I can do short amounts of activity. He told me things need time to settle down.

He is probably correct.

But what am I going to do?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

PBJ getting asked over and over how long a marathon is just comes with the territory.

Mike E I would likely mix up track and cross country team too.

coastwalker might want to be careful how you describe pains when around spouses. Just a suggestion. 

buehrle I am NOT obsessing over the weather forecast. Oh look an update!

While not obsessing over the weather forecast for the marathon I got out for an 8 mile run this morning. F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G is all I can say! What am I going to do when the weather goes south of 32°?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

But what am I going to do?

I think everyone here knows exactly what you mean! Well, besides climb the walls, right?

Hally, you say it was dark?  Good for you for getting out there, and yes I'm also very happy you and LaT are posting again!

PBJ!! Love the water cooler factory stories! You've been missed! And yes, we get that "how long was that marathon?" a lot around here. I love it when someone tells you their friend/brother/sister/cousin/whatever ran a marathon and "I think it was about 5 miles." Usually they mean a 5k, but most Americans have no idea what 5k is. I think I'm going to adopt Lori's comment of 42km.

No run yesterday, by plan (if it could be said I have a plan). Today will be a short easy run this afternoon. We had snow last week, about an inch or so, and nothing since so it's getting blown around, packed down and worn away in a lot of places. I ran this weekend in my Brooks Ghost because they have the best traction of any of my shoes, but I really don't like them. Always feels like my feet and ankles ache afterwards. So today will be back in my old worn out NB1400's. I think I need new shoes.

Run report: 5.5 miles in 25° and bright sunshine, clear skies. Footing was pretty good and I was dressed right for the day. Early winter IRC.

SteveP

I need to start focussing on my speed (or lack thereof) again if I want to race another marathon. Because I don't want to just "finish" as the recent years have delivered. Believe it or not, not too long ago I trained for a fast marathon (for me, that is 445) and then life happened and it all went kaput. It was an epic kaput as all kaputs should be epic. But now I am hoping for an epic comeback. Big grin

Most relatable post of the day.

POINT TWO!!!!! Justifiable comes to mind.

Buehrle, have your loved ones practice "Duck and Cover".

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Bertha - I was thinking the same thing, that I need to try to get serious and have a better marathon in the spring rather than just finishing.

PBJ - Hiyah!

RCG - are you permitted to swim?  I have been swimming twice a week, and although I am never sore afterward, I am exhausted, so it must be doing something.

5.4 miles for me on Tuesday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bertha - I was thinking the same thing, that I need to try to get serious and have a better marathon in the spring rather than just finishing.

thanks for the incentive for me too

I've got a couple of November marathons

that might be a chance to get under six hours, after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)