Masters Running

Simple Abundance Tuesday (7/31) (Read 390 times)

Mariposai

Time to say good bye to July. Tell us your about that "sweet run or runs" you were gifted with this month.

As for me, running "Light at the End of the Tunnel" with some dear RA friends was very special.

Also the pre-dawn runs with star glympses here and there were also memorable.

Off for a few miles before the sun comes up over the mountain. 

Be cool, my friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Slo—glad you had such a good time

R.I.P., Moondancer

Lots of berry-picking going on.  Yum.

July’s not the month to be asking me about “sweet runs.”  But I’ve had plenty of sweaty runs.  Does that count? Smile  In fact, this morning I walked on the deck after my run to drop something off, turned around and walked back towards the house and thought, “Huh, it must be raining.”  Big drops of water were sprinkled on the deck.  Then, of course, I realized it was just me who had been leaving a trail of sweat.  Roll eyes

I’ve been re-learning the importance of patience.  I hate running in the heat.  In the summer, I often just want to get a run over with.  I unconsciously pick up the pace, which leads to more misery and my dreading the next run.  It’s a vicious circle.  Cultivating some patience allows me to stay with a slow but steady pace and finish feeling better.  Running without a watch seems to help me do this, so I’ve been doing it a lot lately. 

Had my watch on today but it was still a decent 7-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

My thoughts about July mimick Tramps...When I read Sweet my brain said Sweaty.

5+ Sweaty miles to wrap up July.

Good morning all.

TimBo, how did your Trail HM go with Donna?  Did she do well?  Have fun? (which is what it's all about after all)

TwoCat, sounds like you had a great time.

Erika, send some berries down here.  Love 'em.  Can't get 'em (except at the store for many $$$)

Mariposai, sorry about your dear cat.

This past weekend we helped DS and GF move her to a new Apt downstairs.  It was fairly easy given that it was just down a flight of stairs, right below where she lived before.  But still, in sunny  94° weather the sweat was pouring off me.  It turns out that the previous occupants had a cat.  Now DS, who is allergic to cats, is miserable and sneezing up a storm.  (He'll being going back to his Apt. soon though.)

This morning I did a LT test on the Bike to establish HR zones while riding.  15 minutes easy warm up to start, then a 10 minute "get your HR up" lap.  Finally the LT test started which was a 20 minute all-out effort, followed by a 20 minute cool down.  LT is the average HR for that 20 minute all-out portion - avg HR 153.  So my Biking zones are set: 

I'll be doing an LT test for running later this week.  (The LT HR will be higher than Biking.)  I have a pretty good sense of my HR zones for running.  I'll be curious to see how the results of the LT test line up with what I've always thought they were.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

3 miles this morning for me.  Slept in so I didn't go as far as planned.

No big events in July that stand out.  Just a grind it out month where I ran every day and had my most miles in a single month (since keeping a log).  A personal worst at a hot 4th of July 10k, but then a decent 5k a couple weeks later.  The other 29 days were spent running very slow (on purpose).

...Sweaty Runs are the best tramps////////..............Perspire Your Way to Nirvana.....

=======

.......28min poolrun,,,,,,could have been sweating, 

Water

is like an architect planting Ivy to cover up a mistake....

hiking tomorrow.

............good running guys.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

coastwalker

Mornin'!

I'm sorry about the loss of Moondancer, Nancy. It's always hard to lose a good pet, but hopefully that sorrow is tempered by the memories of the joy that pet brought to your lives.

Nice rant yesterday, Tramps!

Few things beat the treat of freshly-picked berries! We're waiting for our neighbor's blueberries to ripen so we can go pick some for us, and some for them.

Best July walks? I really enjoyed my workouts on vacation last week. Getting up high on the hills overlooking Castine harbor and Penobscot Bay gave me some breathtaking views to enjoy each morning.

6.7 racewalking miles at 4:05 this morning. I love the way it cools down here at night in the summer - I was in 63 refreshing degrees this morning. I went a different route this morning, and was along a beach boardwalk (paved, sadly) for a little over a mile. Even at that hour, there were a surprising number of people strolling, waiting for the sunrise. I said "Good morning" to one gent walking his dog, and I think I woke him up, or maybe just dragged him out of some deep thought. I saw a shooting star this morning, so today's going to be a good day. In fact, I had a 7:30 meeting that went very well, so with my workout and that meeting, the day is already off to a great start.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Happy Birthday Jlynne, and great news!

Tramps, gosh, has another 4 years gone by already?

Mariposai, I love that name Moondancer.  Sounds like she was well loved.

Dave, kudos on the high mileage month.

My sweetest run this month was last night.  According to my log, I needed 6.9 miles to hit 100 miles for the month, which would be my highest so far this year (past 3 months have been roughly 25, 25, 50).  I was only aiming for 80 originally but things have been going well.  I started out at 6:20 pm, and boy was it lovely as there was not the usual 90% relative humidity that time of day even though it was 10 degrees warmer, and I hardly sweated at all.  Dang stoopid foot hurt suddenly at 3.6 miles (always around the same place in the run, very strange) and I had to walk, thinking my chances of hitting 100 were over.  I eventually ran again, went to the dirt track to keep the foot happy, only had to walk one more time for foot care and made my goal!!  Got home to a nice shower and a dinner DH had waiting for me.  Sweet!

Saturday I ran to Saddle mountain out at the cottage.  6.5 sweaty miles with a 250 foot climb up the mountain (or hill by Wildchild's standards).

This link is just for Holly.  Secret Garden.  You can also read about on Wikipedia.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

RIP, Moonwalker, and hugs to the Posie family.

Enke, congrats on breaking 100 miles this month!

I was just thinking this morning how much I love running in the summer!  No H&H here.  It's just so easy to head out in shorts and a singlet, or even run shirtless.  It would be hot if I ran in the flatlands at midday, but mornings and evenings are fine, and the mountains are cool and beautiful.  Have I mentioned how much I love Colorado?  Smile

I ran 6.2 miles before work this morning along the creek and around the lake at Bear Creek Lake Park.  I saw a beautiful 8-point buck, and I stopped and watched him for a while, and he watched me.  I walked slowly past him, and he didn't run away.  I have no idea how people can hunt deer.

Happy last day of July!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

moondancer seems to fit so well wtih the posie clan, and with a full moon too.

I never thought of it at the time but the only two runs that I've had in my life that might have been sweet were the early starts at the 2008 Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon when francesca caught up from her regular start and paced me to the first powerful finishing miles of my life and doing it again this year for a final hour of hard running with the help of francesca, dove and mariposai.  No wonder I love running so much.

Nice rant yesterday, Tramps!

today's's pretty good too!

For the nonsports, I've always like women's figure skating ever since my friend's older brother got a date wtih Carol Heiss, . . and nothing was more macho to making cross-country skiing a little more interesting in those days than some target practice along the way.

erika - a gallon-and-a-half is a lot!

Save some for Holly!,. . .

or trade for some fish with rhoon if he can fly up for the Equinox..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Not such a good day for me today.  Still a bit tired from Sunday's 13, but I had 5 on the calendar so went out and did that, reflecting the whole way that today marks 4 years exactly that I had triple bypass surgery and an aortic valve replacement.  Funny how it seems like yesterday.  So I thought about this and that, and how lucky I am to still be running and competing, but wishing I was as fast as I used to be. And I also recalled all that was written here about it, my report on it and all of your kind words and support. It meant so much to me.

So then I come home and the Saint tells me my BIL Joe passed away last night, and even though our whole family was prepared for it and waiting for the day, it surprised me how it knocked me for a loop.  I'm packed and leaving for a two-day business trip which doesn't make it any better.

You know how they often will say about a talented team athlete, "he makes everyone around him play better"?  That was Joe.  Everyone wanted to be around Joe, have their kids grow up to be like him, or be more like him themselves. 

He was valedictorian at his Chicago high school and captain of baseball, football and basketball teams, turned down full rides at top schools to go to West Point and serve his country. And he could do anything, from solving a crossword puzzle in record time to recalling every bit of baseball trivia you could think of.  He was full of contradictions, the kindest man I knew, and the Brigade boxing champ at West Point. He always acted like he did everything rationally, but really thought with his heart, and he had a lot of love for everyone.

He was the best person I ever knew. May he rest in peace.   Spareribs

I've had some very sweet runs this month, in spite of the heat.  Last night was a good example.  After 4 miles easy, I found a new way to sneak into the high school track and did my strides.  6 of them, 100m each, for 19 seconds each.  Keep in mind the temps were in the 90's.  About a month ago, I was so excited to be able to do a few of them in 19 seconds.  Then: 2 minutes, 2 seconds.  Now: 1:55.

mta-Ribs, I think we posted at the same time.  I'm so sorry about Joe.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Sorry to hear the news Ribs.  I'm glad he led a full life of purpose, integrity, and love.  My condolences and prayers to you and the rest of his family.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You know how they often will say about a talented team athlete, "he makes everyone around him play better"?  That was Joe.  Everyone wanted to be around Joe, have their kids grow up to be like him, or be more like him themselves. 

Ribs--that's the way I felt about DW's uncle and i know how I felt when he passed away a few years ago, so can come a little close to imagining how you and your family feel right now.  with a legacy like that, he'll always be a part of your life.

also--can't believe that it's 4 years already.  I can only wish that I could be that fast.

3.1 miles for me this morning.  Actually felt almost cool at 62F.  9:30 pace, which passes for fast these days.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

[[[[[[[ RIBBS ]]]]]]]]

we'll dedicate

some Runs in his Memory..........he was a Hell of A Runner....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....