Masters Running

21 st annual Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon (Read 770 times)

Thank You for that report Dave

The history is so sad

The race is a honor to all those who were at the death march,  thanks for representating us at the marathon .  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks dave. 

In particular, it hadn’t registered before about the march part and associated 13 hour cutoff.
      Sounds like regular fitness-and-fun runners are very welcome.
      I won’t be able to join you next year but definitely would like to put on a 35 pound pack and take a 26.2 mile hike up here somewhere at that time. I imagine many had to do it barefoot too.
      Fortunately, it wasn’t Bataan but my father and uncle had scars from those days all their lives and there was considerable concern when I went to Japan as an exchange student less than 20 years later.
      As a result, after I turned into a runner, I stayed my distance when I saw a group of Japan veterans with their own missing limbs and handicaps walking around the Imperial Palace running circuit during occasional noctural runs to shake off jet lag some years later during a sojourn in the seventies.

There are only fewer than a handful of places where strangers exchange greetings in Japan (e.g. climbing Mt. Fuji) so I was surprised when they called out “ganbare” as I passed.  The next time around I found out that they walked the 5K circuit every night at 2am to avoid the daytime pollution.  I walked and talked with them a little every time after that. They aren’t there anymore either.

ps - you’re still about and hour twenty minutes, if not an two hours or more from being slow. probably 10 or 15 or more years too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

Thanks Tet:

The course would certainly be open and welcome to fitness "marchers"  but I would hazard to guess that most of the marchers had other things in mind,  I would also hazard to guess that the vast majority of the participants walk the event.

The course looked like it would be VERY barefoot friendly,  I often went back and forth on the trail to look for a firmer part of the trail for running,  One of the GI's told me that someone ran it barefoot last year in honor of the Bataan marchers that might have had to do it barefooted.  That said, this year the rules said you must wear foot wear or you would be removed from the course.

Dave

Mariposai

I have read many RR's from SRLopez's adventures, but his Bataan's race report will always be my favorite. Thanks for the links to his RRs.

I read every word written on your report. Thanks for taking the time to write a lengthy report. You inspired us with your words and descriptions. For many of us this is the only way we would ever experience Bataan.

I am glad you did not post your time...it just elevated your RR to a higher level.

Now...rest up...we have a race to run in less than three weeks.

FWIW....i sure miss SRLopez's witty postings

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard