Masters Running

short introduction and a question about FIRST (Furman) (Read 36 times)

sunkid

Good morning, fellow masters!

I have been around this site for a while but just found this corner of the forums during a search for more information about FIRST (more about that below). I re-started my running "career" about a year ago and am now averaging around 38 mpw with just a couple weeks shy of 1500 for the year. Up until a month ago or so, I had only focused on base building, staying healthy, and enjoying my re-found fitness. Unfortunately, my cross- and strength-training is still very spotty at the most, but I did remain relatively injury free despite adding some intervals and starting to push myself a bit more during some days. For the last month, however, I have really picked up the pace on most runs and the intensity of my intervals in preparation for a half marathon at the end of the year.

For more background: I am almost 47 years old, male, and only started running seriously in 2004. I ran my first marathon in 2005 (San Diego Rock'N'Roll, 3:28) but felt a bit burned out afterwards. Started running again in 2006, did a couple of halfs and injured myself toward the very end of a Pfitzinger 18/55 schedule in preparation for another SD R'N'R. The injury was some mysterious pain and swelling below the left knee, which my doc (nor my physical therapist) could not diagnose as anything other than an overuse injury. It took quite a while to heal and I never really got off the couch again until last year.

As for my questions about FIRST: I am really just looking for any feedback from folks who tried one of their schedules for a marathon. There are a lot of positive reviews both in the book and all over the net, but I am also interested in any criticism.

Personally, I am a bit stuck in the "run more to run faster" mindset and I think I could have a crack at 2000 miles for 2014. However, over the past month with the added intensity, I have already pulled my left hamstring slightly and done something to my right big toe/ball of my foot. Seems like I am not as sturdy anymore (or maybe never was) as I hoped to be, which makes the FIRST program quite attractive. That said, my real goal for 2014 is to qualify for Boston (need a 3:25).

C-R

Personally, I am a bit stuck in the "run more to run faster" mindset and I think I could have a crack at 2000 miles for 2014. However, over the past month with the added intensity, I have already pulled my left hamstring slightly and done something to my right big toe/ball of my foot. Seems like I am not as sturdy anymore (or maybe never was) as I hoped to be, which makes the FIRST program quite attractive. That said, my real goal for 2014 is to qualify for Boston (need a 3:25).

Hey sunkid and welcome to the group. I would suggest posting in the daily so you can get to meet the crew. Good people in here.

With that said, I am not a fan of the FIRST approach for the very issue you have posted. FIRST is high intensity and it can flat break you. I have not tried it but watched a few more accomplished runners attempt it (their results were below their expectations). I've also had several very good and long time runners/coaches recommend caution around their program. The biggest issue is adaptation. Nothing replaces time on feet when training for a marathon. Think Lydiard (which is what I try to follow) and adjust to your own level. I expect that running 50-60 mpw with varied intensities that include a base period, hill (strength) and speed (sharpening). It's simple and can easily get you to the start line well prepared and un-injured. If you've run 3:28 with a solid base and some sharpening, 3:25 should be a snap. They key I have found is staying of IR. That's the real killer of training. Well that and too many dognuts but who doesn't enjoy a trip to Dunkin.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will add to the conversation. Good luck and post more.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

San Diego, huh?  Smile  Have you ever come up near LA to race?

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

They key I have found is staying of IR. That's the real killer of training.

What does this mean?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

What does this mean?

IR = Injured Reserve.

Seriously my best running and racing is when I managed to stay healthy. As an old guy, this is the key for me. Knowing how many workouts you can handle in a week (for me two) and using the rest as recovery is it.

FIRST is just a way for old dudes and dudetts to get injured and you can't train or race injured.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

and "of" means "off."

What does this mean?

sunkid

San Diego, huh?  Smile  Have you ever come up near LA to race?

Closest I've come was the Santa Monica 10k in 2006. That was a lot of fun!

I sometimes run around the Studio City area where my in-laws live. I really like Griffith park and have some very fond memories of a 17 mile run there.