Masters Running

3.5.13 Tuesday Daily (Read 44 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

I got the right time, this time!  I'm all signed up for the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon!  I wonder what the forecast is for July 14th?

But you're our idiot, Mike.  So that's all that counts

Big grin

======

turns out they won't let you in the pool if it thunders...

........HooDa ThunkIt??

double wgt sessions

pt xs

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Glad to see so many of you using the Hanson's plan. You'd think I'd have tried it myself by now since I am in "their" club and could even get coaching pointers from them personally at one of the weekly workout events, but I think my days of serious LD competition are over (if they ever in fact existed!).

I did get in a good 6-miler Sunday even though I wasn't exactly motivated when I got up that morning. As I may have mentioned, the cold weather is getting to me more this year than at any time in my almost-50 years living in Michigan. Encroaching old age? The 10+ lbs. less that I weigh now compared to my 30s-50s? In any case, I sure wish I'd been far south of here this winter!

Did a vigorous hour's spin class followed by 1000 yds in the pool. I thought I had done 1000 meters until someone informed me that the pool was 25 yards wide -- not meters. Still the longest water workout this season.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MikeE - Congrats on The Tunnel.  We're all idiots in one way or another, and it's just nice to have found the perfect support group - IA (Idiots Anonymous).

Tammy - Did you guys get any of this rain?  It's suppose to get cold, wet, and windy here by this afternoon.

Somebody sold an apartment?  Somebody had pics?  Somebody is running tons of mileage?  Somebody is crazy?  Somebody is having nightmares?  Aaah! It feels like home. Approve

Yesterday went for a 1.5 hour massage. Oh my!!  I also told her to really dig into my legs.  . . . oh my . . . Shocked.  Wish I could afford to go to this masseuse more often because my legs really need the TLC once in awhile, but it's at a health club and the non-member price for a 1-hr deep tissue massage is $80.  That I just can't do.

Rest day today, which is good 'cause the legs are sore from yesterday's torture session. Black eye

Well, now that it's official, I can tell you all.  I'm losing my running buddy, Karen. Sad She put in her notice at work today and is moving to Portland, OR, in three weeks to be closer to family.  I am so happy for her, because this is what she's wanted for a long time, but at the same time I am so very sad because I am losing one of my dearest friends and the only person I have to run with.  We've been running and training together for almost 7 years.  We'll see each other once in awhile at races, but other than that, probably not so much.  Portland is an 8-hour drive from here, so it's not like either of us can drop in for a weekend visit.  March 25 she leaves.  I'm just sad. Cry

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, awww, that stinks for you.

Tammy, oh my, I hate those anxiety dreams!

Mike, yeah!!!  I'll get to meet you this summer!

Hoping to run tonight after work, which I know, is so easy to blow off.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I got the right time, this time!  I'm all signed up for the Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon!  I wonder what the forecast is for July 14th?

Since it's after the 4th of July, it is probably a pretty safe bet that it'll at least be dry in Seattle. Inside the tunnel though it should be cool, dark but no rain.

Leslie - rain the forecast, but so far just overcast today.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Leslie, sorry to hear your friend Karen is  moving away.  You've been talking about runs with her for years - almost like she's part of the group here!

Mike, the weather will be great for the tunnel marathon!   I'm looking forward to it!

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable just doing 16-17 mile long runs before a marathon.  But I guess Robin has found it works, for her at least!  I've done 25-mile long runs the last couple of weeks, but I'm training for a 50k.  And I do the long runs pretty slowly, so I don't feel too beat up the next day.   I'm also running very steep hilly routes where I have to practice power walking the uphills, because the race I'm doing will definitely involve some walking!

Twocat, your race elevation profile looked pretty hilly - maybe not as steep or high altitude as where I run, but you're also a whole bunch faster!

It's a gorgeous day here!  I ran 7.5 miles in shorts and screw shoes.  42F and sunny, and no wind!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

This goes way back to the 2/28 daily but in response to arf (that would be  "Twocat you are soooo odd.") I would like to suggest to all that do not understand why running on a TM might lead to somebody walking around and mumbling "Brains.  Eat brains," that they watch Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988).  Yes, I know a classic everybody has seen.   Dead  But in case you somehow missed this gem of a movie while having trouble sleeping some past evening I suspect it can be obtained at a rather reasonable cost.  Most importantly, you will discover that in this variant of zombie lore the zombies can talk, well a little bit.  Personally, I think this is a violation of the zombie movie rules but there you have it a movie with somewhat talkative zombies.  There is even a page of "famous" quotes from the zombies on the web.

As to running, my plan was to do 11 today and 14 on Thursday.  But it is a really nice day out today and the forecast is for a miserable next three days.  Around the 9 mile mark I started thinking, hmm, 14 on the TM on Thursday.  Yes, it does sound like fun!  But since I fear such a fun time will do terrible things to me I thought why not do the 14 today and the 11 on Thursday.  Look 3 fewer TM miles is 3 fewer TM miles so do not knock it.  So it was 14 today with the hope that I do not really have to do 11 on the TM on Thursday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

turns out they won't let you in the pool if it thunders...

........HooDa ThunkIt??

Even the indoor pool?

{{{Leslie}}}

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning, and 5 burpees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5 easy miles this morning...and oh yeah...I entered The Light at the end of the Tunnel too!!!...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Yeah, Lynden too!  This could snowball.....into a big RA meet-up.

I DID manage to run after work!  It wasn't so hard after all!  I really blew out the cobwebs and did a 4 mile tempo, chasing my o/a pace down on the Garmin the last half mile.  Calves are tight now, so I am going to pay for this, but it was fun!  3 days out of 4 running, after two weeks off, so feeling proud of myself and kind of getting the running bug again.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Yeah, Lynden too!  This could snowball.....into a big RA meet-up.

I DID manage to run after work!  It wasn't so hard after all!  I really blew out the cobwebs and did a 4 mile tempo, chasing my o/a pace down on the Garmin the last half mile. 

Big grin

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Sorry to hear about your friend moving away, Leslie.  Good friends are hard to find.  Good friends who like to run with you are even harder to find.

I went for a sloppy 12.2 mile run in 1:33:14.  We had several inches of snow fall over night and during the day so every third pickup truck that went by had a plow attached to the front of it.  I came vary close to being hit hit by one of them, too.  The guy passed a car on the shoulder--the shoulder I was running on.  I could feel the plow blade almost touching my leg...it was kind of scary.

Okay--I guess I'd better get on to bed.  See ya!

C-R

Hanson's is the new black.

10k for me today with a little pep. Tomorrow is workout day perhaps since I've shoveled the drive twice tonight. It is very beautiful though. Heavy snow on the trees with the neighborhood lights.

Some good running out there today. Well done all.

I'm quite sad about not having a BQ this year. Would be nice to catch up again so I guess I better get to work.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/