Masters Running

Favorite Recipe Thread (Read 1067 times)

Fresh Cherry Chick Pea Salad - tastes very fresh, with a little kick

2 cans Chick Peas, drained and rinsed

2 cups pitted sweet red cherries

1 small can drained mandarin oranges

4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

1 cup chopped parsley

1 glove garlic, minced

1 small jalapeno, chopped into very small pieces

1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger

a bit of thinly sliced, chopped red onion (I don't use much)

mix all the above

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

mix the oii and vinegar with some salt and pepper and pour over the ingredients.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Whole-Grain Beer Bread

Makes: 1 loaf  Prep time: 20 minutes   Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes

This is a hearty bread with 3 grams of fiber per slice. You can make it with a dark beer such as Guinness or a lighter beer [I used Porter]

Vegetable oil cooking spray

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

2-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (whole grain flour from white wheat)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 container (5.3 oz) low-fat plain Greek yogurt (about 2/3 cup)

2 Tbs canola oil

1 can/bottle (12 ounce) beer

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. Place rolled oats in a food processor and pulse 4 to 5 times until they are coarsely chopped, but not powdery (this can also be done with a knife on a cutting board). In a large bowl, combine coarsely chopped oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing well. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil and beer. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. With a large spoon, gently stir until just incorporated. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Enjoy!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

My favorite muffins ever... Bob's Red Mill flax seed meal. No butter or shortening. The flax, eggs, carrots and the apples do the job of holding it together.

I cut the brown sugar down to 3/4 cup myself since I try to limit my sugar intake. There is plenty of natural sugar in there (apples and raisins).

Bran Flax Muffins Recipe | Bob's Red Mill (bobsredmill.com)

Quickadder

Apple Crumble

1-1.5lbs Apples

Other fruit (optional)

Sugar

Cinnamon

4oz Margarine

8oz Flour

4oz Sugar

Cinnamon

Peel, core and slice apples. Layer in a deep dish with sugar to taste and top with a teaspoon or two of cinnamon. I usually add a layer of frozen blackberries, blueberries or pitted cherries to add some color (do not defrost them first).

Fingertip mix the margarine and flour to fine crumbs, add the sugar and a dessert spoon of cinnamon, mix and spoon the crumble over the fruit, leaving the surface rough and loose.

Cook for 30 minutes at 425F then reduce to 375F for 15 minutes.

Serve hot with ice-cream or English Custard.

For English Custard, 4 heaped dessert spoons of sugar and 1 of corn starch. a few drops of vanilla and food coloring (traditionally yellow but other colors work just as well and taste the same). Add enough milk to make a smooth paste and then the balance of 2 cups of milk. Microwave until it starts to rise (about 2 minutes), stir well and then microwave for another 20-30 seconds. Stop before it overflows the container - if you don't watch it carefully you will have lots of clean-up to do!!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

coastwalker

This is a very tasty dip, and great over the November/December holidays. It does call for jalopeno peppers, but they add more crunch/texture than spiciness, unless you leave the seeds in when you chop it.

Holiday Cranberry Jalapeño Dip

Tart cranberries, spicy jalapeños and sweet sugar come together to create a delicious holiday appetizer that will have your guests begging for the recipe! 

Course Appetizer

Prep Time 20 minutes

Resting Time 12 hours

Total Time 20 minutes

Servings 32 Servings

Author Lindsey Maestas

Ingredients

• 12 oz fresh, uncooked cranberries
            • 1/4 cup green onion
            • 1-2 fresh jalapeño peppers
            • 2 Tbsp. cilantro (optional)
            • 3/4 to 1 Cup sugar (according to taste)
            • 1 Tbsp. lemon juce
            • 1/8 tsp. salt
            • 16 oz. cream cheese (whipped)

Instructions

1. Use hand food chopper to chop cranberries. (It is best to not use a food processor to chop these as the cranberries liquify too much.)

2. Chop green onion, jalapeño peppers and cilantro.

3. In a medium-sized bowl, add chopped cranberries, green onion, cilantro and jalapeños.

4. Add sugar, lemon juice and salt on top of cranberry mixture and stir gently until blended.

5. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.

6. Take cranberry mixture out of the refrigerator and stir all ingredients together. Strain out all liquid using a collander with small holes.

7. Whip softened cream cheese with hand mixer until smooth (about 2 minutes) and spread cream cheese over bottom of a pie plate or 9x9 dish.

8. Pour cranberry mixture atop cream cheese and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker

Here is the recipe for a very easy (and tasty) applesauce cake with a cream cheese/sour cream and honey frosting. The last time i made this, I didn't have crushed ginger so I substituted a bit of vanilla extract and almond extract, and it tasted fine. I also added some crushed walnuts to the batter, and that was a good addition too. For the frosting, I cut back on the honey just a bit and added some Baily's Irish Cream, and that was a nice flavor addition too. Read the notes from other bakers to see if there are any suggestions there that appeal to you. Have fun!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019758-applesauce-cake-with-cream-cheese-and-honey-frosting?unlocked_article_code=jc3cY4jwmj-hXY9TQHU8DKM4rPh83LahKJDKlci4r_-aVFw3E-Ux4a7fYSc4eAwUFwXTlc3ayaSHE9QQP_j9WmNciPH-jZ5pfVlJwo4P_L8WRKhdRUSFtmglhjm1NUS1MJmmiI2lDP-2-f1lGBQQoRwgNU193RvLzT0E1SRegZD2rqjLaQ5_-0uw_xmxOjCVpfkB65fDoTlmN-YOXiE0tVKL30XBo_2pLPY4n9o51srO4G-zqVOR8qRLqeeWC0q_9e-f6FffhfeR0jUHq7X-Ss6vQkbxIiJEsf3adwKx8iYJccNPkXBnDF3eI3Ml9qxZUS1KiVd91Q48wnpjIDanA_p_n0efAZlCyu4K7jelIDEysfSqni_Ve3I&smid=share-url

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Black Bean Chili

1 lb. boneless sirloin cubed

2 onions chopped

1 green pepper chopped

1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced

3-4 garlic cloves minced

1½ t. salt divided

1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes

1 (12 oz) bottle dark beer

2 T. chili powder

1 T. ground cumin

2 t. dried oregano

1½ t. black pepper

1 t. sugar

¼ t. red pepper

1 (14 oz) can beef broth

3 (15 oz) cans black beans rinsed & drained

Cook first 5 ingredients + ½ t. salt in hot oil in a large Dutch oven medium-high heat stirring constantly 8 minutes.

Stir in remaining salt, tomatoes, ½ cup of beer + next 6 ingredients. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.

Stir in remaining beer, broth, beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.

We used to use Beck's Dark Beer but that disappeared. Then we switched to Yuengling Black & Tan. They only had 12 packs of that at the store and I didn't want to drink 11 of them, so I got a 6-pack of Modelo Negra.  Chili was fine and I only have 5 beers to finish off. I tried one and it was pretty good.

I assume notation is standard, t = teaspoon, T = tablespoon

mrrun

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread

For the cream cheese filling:

• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened

• 3 tablespoons sugar

• 1 egg yolk

• ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the pumpkin bread:

• 1-¾ cups flour

• 1-½ cups sugar

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 teaspoon cinnamon

• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 cup canned pumpkin puree

• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

• 1 egg

• 1/3 cup whole milk

• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Step 1: prepare cream cheese filling

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer on medium speed until smooth. Set aside.

Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients

In a separate bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.

Step 3: Mix the wet ingredients

In a mixing bowl, add the pumpkin, melted butter, egg, milk and vanilla. Mix on low speed until smooth. Gradually add in the dry ingredients mixture, mixing slowly until just combined. Mix for 30 seconds on medium-high speed.

Step 4: Layer the batter and filling

Scoop one-third of the pumpkin batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spread half of the cream cheese filling over top with a spatula. Add another third of the pumpkin batter. Spread the rest of the cream cheese filling over top, and then drop spoonfuls of the remaining pumpkin batter over top. Use a knife to cut through the batter to create a swirl on top.

Step 5: Time to bake

Place the prepared loaf pan in the oven. Bake the pumpkin bread for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Insert a toothpick to be sure it comes out clean!. Once fully baked, remove the pumpkin bread from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes in the pan before transferring the loaf to a cooling rack. Then cool for one hour before serving.

From the New York Times. Haven't tried this but might be of interest.

Cheesy Hasselback Gratin Potatoes

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"