Masters Running

Fridaily, 8.3.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.6 miles before heading to the airport)
    Jlynne (6.14 morning walking miles + 30 min of weights/core)
    Dave59 (4 tired morning miles)
    Tramps (21 bike miles)
    Quickadder (5.5 early AM miles with DD in low 70s temps)
    Henrun (1.1 fast walk mile + 1.1 slow run mile)
    Spacityrunner (1.5 afternoon miles in bright sun)
    Evanflein (5.2 EZ lunchtime miles)
    Falconfixer (EZ 5 miles after structured speedwork on Wed)
    Mike (6 miles)
    anneb (4 hot, post-work miles)
    Twocat (thinking about an hour on the elliptical)
    Tammy (3 nighttime TM miles)

Yeah - senior employees going to competitors aren’t usually allowed to stay in the office all that long after they announce they are leaving, for a variety of reasons. It's just good policy, for the company, to have them gone ASAP.

Scary neighborhood activity, Jlynne.

Outside of the one I saw by the road a couple of days ago, I don’t see many raccoons around here. I’m more likely to see deer, fox, wild turkey, and rabbits. This morning, I was out later than usual, so I got to see a cormorant sitting on a rock out in the water at the coast, gently flapping it's wings to dry them in the light of the rising sun.

OK: The people visiting us this week are one of my wife’s (6) sisters, one of the sister’s (2) daughters, and the daughter’s two kids.The daughter's DH opted to stay home - we didn't ask why. (DW also has 7 brothers. We have a lot of relatives on her side of the family)

6.5 RW miles this morning in 73° with lots of mugginess. I did pretty well, averaging an 11:33 pace, considering that I usually don't do well at all in warm weather.

Have a greta Friday & weekend. Big grins & tailwinds to all of this weekend's racers.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

The people visiting us this week are one of my wife’s (6) sisters, one of the sister’s (2) daughters, and the daughter’s two kids.The daughter's DH opted to stay home - we didn't ask why. (DW also has 7 brothers. We have a lot of relatives on her side of the family)

The guy decided to stay home alone instead of spending vacation time with his mother-in-law, wife, and kids? Can't imagine why. 

99% humidity at the start; rain beginning halfway through. It's a fine line.The rain was actually a little cool and kept the bugs down, so there's that. 5 miles.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

Pretty much what I was thinking 

The guy decided to stay home alone instead of spending vacation time with his mother-in-law, wife, and kids? Can't imagine why. 

I got out for about 6 this morning. Running at 6am > running at 6pm. Except when I do both back to back, I am a little tired, but TGIF! That's all I got.

Anne

What Tramps said.

Another day of think about doing an hour on the elliptical. Heck it worked yesterday! Even if it cost me an eye rolling emoji.  This evening I am having dinner with DW and her BFF and her BFF's DH. The BFF's DH is turning 70 and this is a "celebration" dinner. I put celebration in quotes because he is freaking out about it and does not want any acknowledgement of the event. Another good reason to run. Hitting a new AG = win trophies! Yea!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Longest run this year.  9.1 miles along the Lehigh Gorge Trail (D&L Trail).  It was incredibly humid and warm. I had hoped for cooler weather up here.  It never rained on me, so that’s good.  My husband rode one of my son’s trail bikes (not with me) while I ran.  Butt held up well until I had to drive the car afterwards.  I learned how to drive sort of standing up out of the driver’s seat.  So- my Saturday long run is done!  Glad to have that out of the way.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

No workout yet for me.  I'll do it when I get home this evening.

Tramps -  I was thinking the same thing.

We have had a buck and doe hanging out in the pasture across from us for a few weeks.  I hadn't seen them in awhile, then Tuesday morning as I was heading out the door for a walk/run, the buck was standing in the middle of the road.  He didn't give one whit about me and sauntered off, munching grass as he went.

We went to a going away party for some friends' son who is will be heading to Mt. Mercy University in Iowa.  He got a scholarship to play baseball.  It's been year since we've spent time with them and it was fun.

The legal secretary for the associate attorney I work with (I also am a full-time paralegal for one of the partners) is going out on maternity disability as of today.  I believe she still has 5 mos left in her pregnancy, then add on the 3 mos of maternity leave you're allowed . . . I can't even begin to imagine how all this is going to work out and I'm trying really, really hard to not have an "I don't give a crap" attitude.  *sigh*

Okay - Back to the trenches ~~

MTA - Another secretary quit this morning without giving notice.  I think we should close the office and all go get shnockered. 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Hi All!

what a week this has been!  The good news on the fire front is that great progress has been made on the side of the fire where literally hundreds of homes are located. I've seen some photos the fire agency has been posted and burnout areas are literally within what looks to be 8 ft of people's homes, with hoses lying all over the ground if needed.  But many evacuation orders have been downgraded and people that have been displaced for the past week (including Johnny) can go back to their homes today. They'll still be a level 2 which means to be ready to leave at a moment's notice, but the control lines are holding well, so they feel confident that people can return home safely.  Another positive is the Hellgate dinner lodge has not burned down, which they were prepared to lose. Zero structures have been lost so far. Some homes still in jeopardy as the fire moves in other directions, but overall improvement on the residential side of this fire continues. 

Our air is good today as some winds lifted the smoke out and the outlook seems favorable for better air quality through the weekend before all the smoke settles in again. Maybe I can even run outside this weekend!  I'll be working all morning at the evacuation center tomorrow morning but hopefully about 1/2 the animals under our care can return home.

Tammy

..Good new tammy.......remember, with smoke, try to breathe as little as possible

eerrrr..........Smoke that is.....

===============

mid 80s no breeze

....40-min HH 3-3s at soccer fields

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

First leg of the Wild West Relay done. 4.3 miles done in 34:57. Next leg in a couple of hours, it's a tough 6 miles from 8200 feet to 9300 feet. It'll be much slower.

evanflein

I didn't know they were still holding that relay, I thought the smoke and fires canceled it? Or am I thinking of something else (SOB?)? Hard to keep up. Good job, Paul!

Tramps cracks me up. And yes, that's probably exactly why he's staying home. I bet my DH would, too!

So how many of you go over your running log entries from prior years? I do this a lot, mainly to see how I did in the various races I do, but also to see what I did to prepare for them and my comments about the runs/races. I leave myself a lot of "tips" for next year, it seems. For Equinox, I only had two 20+ mile runs last year but they were both on the course and look like very good runs (but very difficult, as is the race itself). I'd sure like to try to get three of them in this year, but I feel I'm already behind given the amount of recovery I need from these efforts. My comments on Equinox were that I needed more long runs and more hill work. I've already done more hill work this year because I actually trained for last month's Gold Discovery Run, so I'm hoping that will help. Having to cut short last weekend's long run was not a confidence builder.

Tomorrow's race should be good conditions, cloudy and cool but no rain (so far). Given the flat course, it should be a good run. But then, I never put it past myself to do something stupid and mess it all up. So I guess we'll just see how it goes!

Today was 4.5 easy miles before the rain showers came through. I put my old Sorbothane insoles in the Hoka Cavu shoes and it seemed to make them fit more snugly.

TammyinGP

Wild West Relay is out in Colorado. Not sure if that area is affected by any current fires. Just about all races, including SOB, were cancelled in So. Oregon. that's probably the one you were thinking of. 
                        Last year Pine to Palm 100 was cancelled in Oregon due to fires also. Hoping all our wildfire danger in that area is gone by the 2nd weekend in Sept so it's not cancelled again. And hoping the air has cleared out also. I'm tentatively crewing for someone that weekend.

Tammy

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, another easy 5 for me this morning.  Humid, but not miserably so.  I'll take that in Alabama this time of year!

I've had to beg off of trips occasionally when DW and the boys visited her folks.  Always work (civilian or military) related though.

Tammy, fingers crossed; prayers continuing.

Paul, nice start!

Drill weekend, may or may not hear from me.  Have a great weekend everyone!

12.1 on the trails, 804' climbing, 9:22

Kind of hot and awful climbing up, but it dropped down into the upper 70's (I think) on top of the ridge, and there was a little breeze. No raccoons, but I saw little tiny quail, maybe 3" tall. And some bunnies. And a redtail hawk flew along side for a while about 15' away. It didn't get the tiny quail or bunnies.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Just a quick hello to say hi to everyone.  State audit week two is finally over, two more weeks to go.  I am still hanging in there.  Today I took the time to run 13.5 miles with my running partner. We did great. This being her first marathon training we are taking slow. Wild fires are playing havoc with the air quality here once again.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

Local running club membership run this evening. Hot (90F) and humid, but fortunately only 2.8 miles. One of my RBs challenged me at the end and I found an extra gear I didn’t know I had. Average pace 8:41.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47