Masters Running

Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run Crewing Report (Read 467 times)

Fair Warning!  This report is long.  Very long.  After careful review and many revisions, I just could not bring myself to shorten it.  Too much went on that weekend.  Too many experiences were had.  To leave any detail out would've been denying what a truly wondrous and remarkable experience it all was.

So sit back with a cup of coffee, a bottle of beer, a glass of wine - whatever floats your boat - and (hopefully) enjoy.

Western States 100 Crewing Report

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I waited until my boss left for a hearing so I could savor this one, and it was well worth it!  I had tears in my eyes as I looked at the photos of Kate crossing the finish line... what an adventure, what a victory!!

And the whole key incident, oh jeesh, I would have been going bonkers!!!

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches?

A great read, Leslie - thanks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches?

A great read, Leslie - thanks!

Glenn, and others, swear by them.  I haven't had the guts to try them yet.  Thanks, Holly.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

LOved this!  You should submit it to Marathon & Beyond, no kidding, it is so good.  I love the self-deprecating you write about the key drama and your caffeine bing (opp. of "bonk"??).  ANother favorite part is an aside, when Karen, who has to be exhausted at the time, finds it in herself to gove Greg just what was necessary for him to keep on to the end.  Really special lady, she is.

As are you.  I am delighted and moved by your total joy and pride in your friend's stunning accomplilshment.  She is to be lauded.   I think it's quite special that she finished (with such obstacles, I didn't look real closely at the blister shot), but I'm even more impressed with the friendship story.  She's lucky to have you in her camp.

Thanks for sharing and for not editing.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Thanks for the report, fatozzig.  What an ordeal Kate and the rest of the participants went through.  They are a bunch of tough runners (heck,  darn tough people).  You and the rest of the support crews deserve a lot of credit for helping your runners achieve their goal.  Congratulations to all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

What an awesome report, Leslie!  And I read Kate's report, too.  Simply amazing.  That's a long, long, long way to run, especially in the heat! The friendship and camaraderie and caring are the best part about your report!

I got a kick out of you saying the tow truck driver smelled bad.  I bet you guys didn't smell like roses, either. And if I had been trying to sleep near where you were yelling and ringing that cowbell, I would have hit you with it, not joined in the cheering! 

Next time you or your friends are running a race at altitude, you're all welcome to come camp out at my house for a week.  Like if Kate's gonna do the Leadville 100?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks for your comments, folks.  Very much appreciated.

Leadville?!?  You never know with Kate!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dove

The Dovenator

Great report and very motivating. I tried in vain to post comments about it in KR but no luck so I'm glad you posted it here

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Dove - Are they making you re-register over there?  So far I haven't had any trouble posting.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dove

The Dovenator

No, my account is still active, I just can't post from my iPad. I can't keep track of both sites so it's one or the other..... Looks like this is the one now.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

that was a great report Leslie!!  I am so glad you didnt edit it - i really felt like i was along for the journey - what a cool experience..........congrats to all!!

denise

Great report that needed no editing - we wouldn't the full experience then.  I still need to get to Kate's report.  Your friendship is so special....that must be so motivating for both you and her.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for sharing this awesome experience with us, Leslie. What determination and willpower it must take to do WS. Your report was almost as good as being there in person. If it does end up on NPR, could you let us know?

Yep, I'll let you know about NPR.  If it does happen, it's going to be awhile.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Ok, finally had the time to go through that epic tale. What fun that was! Even with the lost keys and the caffeine jag. Kate had a good crew that helped her reach her goal. True teamwork and friendship, at its best!