Masters Running

40s 50s 60s On the Run - June 2013 (Read 38 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - sounds like the combination of biking and running is suiting you well! How are you liking those various shoes you listed? Enjoy your HM this weekend, which on is it?

Jim - bummer on the beans but I guess good news that there's time for a redo. Take care of that SI, trust me, I feel your pain! Mine's been on the left side this time. PT, ice, ibu, repeat... Gorgeous pics, by the way, I see you still have some snow. Ours is gone.

Leslie - good luck with that interview! Hate to say it, but I hope his current staff stays broken. Evil  Nice work on the hill repeats...dang girl, 6 or 7???!!! That's a lot of hill repeats!!

The foot felt great so I raced semi-cautiously but strong. Good enough for 3rd in my AG, my only podium finish this year, I think. Local racing shuts down until late September.

Sunday I'm running the Mammoth HM, it's supposed to be a marathon pace workout, but I'm not sure how the ol' bod is going to like starting at 9000ft, dropping 1000ft during the first 5 miles, and then continuing on what will by then be trashed quads down to 7000ft, with an evil uphill final mile finish! Should be beautiful up there though, and the ski lodges are (relatively) cheap in the summer.

Ex runner

That elevation, Arla - Ugh!!!  Of course, Cindy's going, "Pshaw!  That ain't nothin'!" Wink  Should be a beautiful run.  Be cautious and take care of that bod.

Wednesday morning, it was about 30 min of core/strength training, and yesterday it was 6 steady miles at the McKay Tract.  Toward the end, the tendon on the inside of my left foot behind the ankle bone wasn't very happy and things were pretty tight last night, but I iced and massaged and feel better today.  I think part of the tendon issue was the kinesio tape had been on for a few days and basically wasn't doing anything to support the area.  Will retape before tomorrow's 10.

The interview went well Wednesday, and if I get offered the job, even though right now it's a temporary position, I will take it.  His basic comments were that if his secretary returns, they would try to absorb me elsewhere, but if they aren't able to . . . .   He and I also acknowledged that, if during the temp period, I found a permanent position, I am free to leave.  Of course, I am free to leave regardless, but I could just come in one day and say, "Dennis, I gotta go," and he would be fine.  The benefits at this office are exactly what I'm looking for, so fingers crossed.

I also have an interview on Monday with a solo practitioner, but I doubt very seriously the benefits I want are available.  And a friend is trying to get me into her office, but the attorney has reservation since I don't have hardly any litigation experience.  However, I'm not completely without knowledge in the area of litigation, am a fast study, and am more than willing to learn.

So we'll see what happens.  I have no doubt God will put me where He wants me to be.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

10 miles yesterday at the McKay.  Miles 4 and 5 included a lot of climbing, which meant Miles 6 and 7 had a lot of downhill, and the tendons didn't seem to mind so much.  Things tried to tighten up later in the day, but I iced, massaged, and walked around, and all that seemed to help.  Did 3 sort of EZ this a.m. (my first B2B since March), and it went pretty good.  Took the legs about a mile to warm up.  I didn't ice as soon as I got home, and I heard the whispering a couple of hours later, so did my duty.

Keeping fingers crossed I hear re the interview by tomorrow or Tuesday, but we'll see.  He had to talk to the other partners.

Western States is this upcoming weekend.  Woo Hoo!!  I'm so excited, you'd think I was running it.  Instead, I get to crew and soak up the whole atmosphere and spend quality time with Karen and Kate's pacer, Glenn, and just pretty much have a ball!

Okay - I've been typing for almost 3 hours.  Need to get a shower and hit the hay.  Nite ~

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - hope you get good news on that interview, sounds like it could be a good deal. And have fun at WS!!! Hope the weather stays bearable.

Mammoth kicked me in the booty! Got in on Friday and jogged around the part of the course that runs around town. It was beautiful but I could barely move (town's at 7800'). Town is flattish, but every teensy-weensy rise at elevation had me barely able to run. So I knew Sunday was going to be rough. I've never been so worried about a HM since my very first one!

I'll post a RR in the general running thread.

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

That elevation, Arla - Ugh!!!  Of course, Cindy's going, "Pshaw!  That ain't nothin'!" Wink 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

*computer is acting funky*

Laughing evilly at Leslie's quote >>>> (http://www.co.clear-creek.co.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/605)

Oh, ah, yeah...an aggressive downhill is an aggressive downhill! regardless of starting elevation!~ No evil uphill at the end of this one, but the final descent from the freeway down into town in the last mile was a bit intense....the diesel fumes from the trucks just before that are what did me in though Dead was still coughing up a lung two days later! Beautiful weather! A bit warmer than I'd prefer but, not bad at all. I ran "naked" - sans watch, music, etc. only carried a hand-held w/one GU & a lip balm. I didn't miss any of it!  I seriously pondered wearing the Vibrams as that's been my primary "shoe" this past month, (a little weird initially, but very comfortable now!)  but, remembering the rough, rocky forest service road that used to be the first 5-6 miles, (is now paved bike path)  I opted for the Inov-8's. Should've done a better heel-lock lacing as I had some minor toe jam.  (lost no toenails)  Kept my pace in the comfortable zone, walked & chatted w/people at will & felt really good until I started coughing in that last mile. The last mile also had my quads starting to chat it up with me!  I think my chip time was 2:31:52 (Doug put my printout away for me so I have no idea where it is!) Pretty okay for a "last minute, I did NO training, social cruise," & how much walking & chatting I know I did!  We jumped in last minute as several friends were going & did get to catch up/hang out a bit with some of them.   Doug had a 1:52:XX  ?  Both of us were a little surprised by a) how easy it felt at the time vs. b) how achy we were for the next 2 days!! Holy Crap Batman! Big grin 

Sitting in a car for several hrs first thing the next morning probably was not the wisest recovery option....walking like a little old lady by evening! Ha!! I need a good shake-out run or ride about now....or tomorrow morning as I have two of the littlest grands camping with us until later today. 

Have a Greta Week!! Smile

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Great run, Cindy!

Arla - Looking forward to your RR.  Was wondering how that altitude would treat you.  Us flat landers . . .

Yesterday was an unintended rest day.  I was suppose to do core/strength training, but . . .

This morning it was 4 miles in what for us was freakily warm weather - 64 at 4:40 in the a.m.  That's totally unheard of in our part of Humboldt County.  I rather enjoyed being out at 0-dark thirty for the first time in a long time and in short sleeves and shorts, no less!  Felt sort of nekkid 'cause I forgot my reflector vest, but I had on my headlamp and there wasn't exactly a lot of traffic at that time.

The interview yesterday went well, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.  He asked if I'd be interested in working half time for another attorney in another office.  I asked if the other attorney was locked into a lease or could they come together in the same office.  Sure would make things easier logistically, but we'll see.  I haven't heard from the first attorney again, either, but I figured that would take some time.  In the meantime, I'm still plugging away here at this job.  There's plenty of work for me right now.  If I do get another job soon, I'd probably contract out to my current employer until the cases I'm currently working on close.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

45 min of core/strength this a.m., followed by 9 very, very, v   e   r   y slow miles after work at the McKay Tract with my friend, Chris.  Just got into running maybe a year ago and has been wanting to run with  me.  I thought she was going to do 5 total but said, no, her trainer told her she could do 10.  We turned around at about 4-4.5 'cause she was hurting.  Lots and lots and lots of walking.  I'd run a short way ahead of her then come back, but trying to run really slow just about killed my ATs.  2.5 hours later, we finished.  I think I cured her of wanting to run with  me again any time soon. Wink

Tomorrow OFF TO WESTERN STATES!!  Pick up Kate's pacer, Glenn, at the Sacramento Airport tomorrow evening, Karen Friday afternoon, then we're off to Squaw Valley for a 5:00 a.m start Saturday.  Less than 30 hours later, God willing, we'll all meet up at the Auburn High School track.  It's going to be a blast!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Mtn - sounds like a great time except for the coughing up of truck fumes - Dead Have fun with the recovery and the grandkids. I see in the news that there are more fires out your way, hope they're nowhere near you.

Waiting to hear from Stumpy, we need a full RR.

By now Leslie is in ultrarunning social-group heaven! Should be fun!

Took me two days for my quads to feel normal, not too bad. Back to tempo intervals tomorrow morning.

Ex runner