Masters Running

3.28.13 No-Snow Thursday (Read 47 times)

New skirt in town

I just looked at the 10-day weather forecast, and for the first time this year, there is NO SNOW anywhere on it!!  Hip hip hooray!

6.7 miles this morning, with 5 at marathon pace.  I had meant to do more, but DS woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, so I climbed into bed to snuggle with him.  Once he was snoozing, I went back to the treadmill and finished the run.

Mike--SUCH cute grandbabies!  I love bald babies!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice to see you up early, Robin. Sorry that DS had trouble sleeping, but good that you took time with him, and then time for you.

I agree with Robin, Mike - cute little baldies, with great smiles!

No meetings last night, and it was delightful to stay home, have dinner, hang out with DW, and get to bed at a reasonable hour for a change. I still slept a tweedie bit late this morning, and so had to cut my workout short by about a mile to get home on time. 4.2 miles at 36F, with a slight breeze from the north. The fool moon was fighting hard to throw some light through the thick cloud cover (it had rained overnight), but I only got a brief glimpse of it a couple of times. My dang hip was squishy again this morning, but I did my best to ignore it and just stay focused on staying focused. Later, after the sun came up, I looked out the window and saw that we've got "ice-out" on the pond across the road - first time I've seen a slice of water instead of solid ice there since sometime in December. The only critter I saw this morning was the solo wild turnkey that ran across the road right in front of my car as I was heading out to work. Usually, they travel in flocks of 12-20, and, la-de-dah, take their time crossing the road. So I was grateful to have only one quick one to deal with today.

Have a greta Thursday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3 miles in sunshine at lunch.  Just trying to stay alive at work.  Soon it will be back to normal, I hope.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey everyone!

I can post a run (from last night).  8 miles on the TM - intervals.  Did a warmup mile, then 9 x 0.5 miles @ 7:15, with 0.25 in between.  Felt tired and strong at the same time.

This morning - fizzy lifting, and stepperfication.  Tomorrow I get to spin in the morning.  I can only do that when the kids don't have school now.  Yippee.

Speaking of kids and school - PBJ Jr left his early dismissal note on the table yesterday.  So I had to drive to his school and hand it in.  Good news - his bus was unloading just as I arrived.  Bad news - he didn't want to acknowledge me.  "Joe" I called out - he looked over - and kept walking.  "Stop!" I said (rather loudly).  You should have seen the stares I got from the crosswalk gestapo.  Oops - let me just hand him this paper and slink off to work.

Tramps

PBJ--good to see you posting here!  "Crosswalk Gestapo," I like that.

Robin--I understand no snow is good but my concern is that Spring will hit us out of the blue--WHAP!--right about April 15.  No time for acclimating.  So I'm kinda hoping Spring stays away just a little while longer.  I'm also thinking of starting to run in the afternoons for the duration of the taper.  It's supposed to be in the upper 50s-to-low 70s here the next week or so.

Second day of very windy but warming weather. I imagine the two are connected.  EZ 7.

Be safe. Be kind.

Speaking of kids and school - PBJ Jr left his early dismissal note on the table yesterday.  So I had to drive to his school and hand it in.  Good news - his bus was unloading just as I arrived.  Bad news - he didn't want to acknowledge me.  "Joe" I called out - he looked over - and kept walking.  "Stop!" I said (rather loudly).  You should have seen the stares I got from the crosswalk gestapo.  Oops - let me just hand him this paper and slink off to work.

Perhaps the Crosswalk Gestapo has never been ignored by his/her precious child that he/she nurtured so lovingly for so many years and which child still counts on him/her for food, housing, and, perhaps mostly important, money. Wink

Decided against running this morning and will do my scheduled 5 tomorrow instead of taking tomorrow off.  I figure this is my last week of being able to mess around, so I may as well enjoy it.  Next week everything starts on the increase to prepare for May.  I've already decided that even though it'll suck, I will be dividing my time between running out in Trinidad, which gives me opportunity for some flat running and running in the Community Forest or at Headwaters, which is all climbing.  There's climbing out in Trinidad, but not like the other two where there's nothing but.  I figure it's the only way I'm going to survive Headlands 50 come September, not to mention it should give me an edge over the first day of WS training when we climb in and out of the canyons.  Last year was an eye-opener.  This year I will be more prepared

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ho hum.  Sitting here watching one of my programs run and run and run.  At the same time I am updating some software that I am using in another project and after an hour it tells me it has "only" another 40 minutes to go.  Yawn.

With life having returned somewhat to normal, meaning no international trips for a month (A month!  Just a month! Dead) and passover Seders now in the rear view mirror I have time to post here once again.  I know, I know you all really did not know how to go on without me but it seems the forum is still here.  Big grin

henrun you know how marathon maniacs try to hit all 50 states.  Maybe you could hit every NYC bridge?  Even with Brooklyn down there are a bunch more to go!

Hemerocallus any miles on a TM deserves some kudos, walk break, distance or whatever.

tetsujin209 pretty amazing the people you have met in your life!

stumpy77 I suspect you will adjust.  You just have to give up things that take time during the day.  Like seeing your spouse, friends . . . still seems like a good trade to me!  Shhh, nobody tell my DW or my friends about this post!

Spareribs seems like you should just get an apartment in Pittsburgh!  Glad business is good enough to keep dragging you there.

rtravers it will be great to meet you.  Putting the RA meet up together was very nice of you.

Holly S. let me add my congratulations on your bonus!  Maybe your nephew should go into the computer hardware on the cheap locating business!  I sure could use a new laptop!

OrangeMat congratulations on the speed work.  Technology dependent?  What are you talking about (as I type this on a PC while connected by a T1 line to the internet).

C-R tough double to do.  Speed work is not easy all by itself let alone in the evening following a morning run.

Mike E how long before you start them running?  Big grin

wildchild as usual pictures of where you live contain just amazing scenery.

fatozzig I wonder how a cat would do if you removed its kidneys?  Just wondering.  Wink  Good luck with putting an end to the spray problem.

enkephalin you are a better runner than I.  Even relatively warm weather does not get me out the door if there is rain.

deez4boyz sounds like a terrific club!  The one in my area never has anything that interesting going on, especially mid-week.

Mariposai good luck to Daniel with his training.  Also, good luck to your survival of Daniel's training!  Smile

evanflein I think we need some rules here for Alaska based posts.  When you say "warm up" does that actually mean warm?  Or does it just mean simple frostbite instead of having limbs fall off?  Minus 22°!  What kind of baseline is that!  Shocked

coastwalker ah, poor lonely turkey!  How did it wind up alone!  They are great comic relief if they are not blocking the road on your way to work!

Dave59 I would hate to see you die so I hope work eases up!  Joking

PBJ TM plus intervals!  Tough run!

Tramps forget it!  I want spring NOW!

Speaking of spring now, I finally got it!  Well for a little while at least.  This morning I headed out for 14 under a bright blue sky!  Yes!  Of course, now it is cloudy again but since I am stuck in my office who cares!  My route takes me down to the beach are in the neighboring town.  There a number of homes were flooded by Sandy.  When I went by for the first time on Tuesday I saw several being raised so that they could be put up on stilts.  It was very cool to see.  Think of a house with huge car jacks underneath and you get the general idea.  Today I saw the work starting on the new foundations.  Hard for me to believe all this is more economical than simply tearing the homes down and building new ones on stilts but obviously not.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

5 miles for me this morning, with 1 mile WU and 1 mile CD and 3 miles of various intervals in the middle.

We are actually supposed to hit the 50's this weekend!  So excited!

Erika - where did you order those purple potatoes from?  It's time to thing about my garden.

Twocat - we really do miss you when you are gone....Smile

Leslie - bummer about the spraying kitty.  So hard to stop that once it starts.

I have never worked anywhere that has Good Friday off, but it seems as if many of the businesses I need to be working tomorrow are not.  Roll eyes

The kids start their spring break tomorrow, though, and will be off next week.  I look forward to the phone calls at work.  (Mom, it's MY TURN on the X-Box! Mom, she won't stop SINGING and DANCING IN FRONT OF THE TV when it's my turn!, etc......)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

(Mom, it's MY TURN on the X-Box! Mom, she won't stop SINGING and DANCING IN FRONT OF THE TV when it's my turn!, etc......)

My typical response for complaints like that when my kids were young was "Pretend you are an only child!" Divide and conquer, love that concept! Wink

Rest day today. Had my annual checkup with my breast surgeon and was pronounced A-OK. So I went shopping to celebrate; bought some new bras and running skirts. It was a very good day.

Tempo run tomorrow, where I need to hold 8:25 pace for 8 miles. I know that's nothing for most of you, but honestly, that's probably better than my 10k PR. Wish me luck!

Holly, I'll join the others commenting on your bonus and the good words from your boss.  All of us here know you work harder than several   people combined.  Mike, great picture of those two cute babies.  wild, the picture from the route of your upcoming 50K sure shows a scenic view.

Nice long runs for Holly's son and Twocat.  Good job on the speedwork for DrRobin, OM, C-R, enke, and Holly.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

My mom when we were home and called and complained: "If I have to come home, you'll wish you hadn't called me."  We lived in a small town, so she could've been home in 10 min or less.  We would stop calling. Smile

Yea, OM!!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Rest day today. Had my annual checkup with my breast surgeon and was pronounced A-OK. So I went shopping to celebrate; bought some new bras and running skirts. It was a very good day.

Great news, OM!  But shopping doesn't sound like a rest day to me... Joking

Jay, your civic life sure sounds busy!  Good for you, though.  I wish we had more of a sense of community in my area, but we live in the middle of nowhere. The only real community I have is RA!

PBJ - embarrassing your kids is one of the great joys of parenthood!

Tramps - I hear ya on the possible upcoming warm race weather. Wish I had more time to acclimate, too.

This afternoon it was in the low 60's and I was sweating way more than I'm used to on a 5 mile trail run.  And the forecast for Saturday's race is low 70's!  Oh, well, I'm grateful it's not predicted to rain.  I hardly ever run in the rain, because about the only time it rains here is during thunderstorms, and I wouldn't want to run a 50k in conditions I'm not used to.

Off to pack for my trip to Portland!  I'm excited about my race!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Quick post again tonight - sorry!!

6.2 miles - 1 mile warmup - 6 sets of 1/2 mile pickups/1/4 mile recovery - another mile easy ...55:23 total   Big grin

denise

Mariposai

Strong running for all our Boston Bound friends!

Jay, thanks for taking the time to describe the gorgeous full moon in such a beautiful way! She sure has been showy around here as well

Spring is here! and my yard is yelling for attention Black eye! I rather enjoy playing in the dirt in the spring! The dirt presents so many potentials at this point, it is like fresh canvas for a painter!

It was 66F when I finally left for my first speed workout at the track in this training cycle. I left without much expectation, but I just wanted to see where my speed was. I must admit, I was pleased with what I found out considering that I have not done a single speed workout since last September.

800m@4:04; 400m easy
                              800m@3:55; 400m easy
                              800m@3:57 400m easy
                              800m@3:55 400m easy
                              800m@3:59 400m easy

Warm up and cool down miles added up to 7 miles.

Cheers to all!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Getting excited for the Boston runners!

8-mile wave run for me.  If you don't know what I mean, Spareribs can explain it better than I can.  My first 3 miles were easy and then I started picking it up.  I punched it on the last mile, 8:39 (that's about my15k PR  pace so "punching it" could be an exaggeration but my HR shot up).  It was 72 degrees which increased my effort.  My hamstrings are not particularly happy.

I had an article published in the running club newsletter.  If you've been on a Ragnar or other relay, I think you will find it interesting.  If you know anything about my job situation, you will find it really interesting.  I think I wrote it more for myself than for an audience.  It just came out so I haven't heard yet what people think.  http://okcrunning.com/Resources/NewsLetter/2013/201304April.pdf buried back on page 16!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me